Cyclones.tv coverage

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
For many years now after I left Iowa I've been grateful for what I could get for wrestling coverage. When Cyclones.tv came along I was thrilled being able to watch the Clones home meets over the internet.

Wrestling coverage has come a long way and this year anyone with a Flo subscription can watch our Cyclones.tv feed. Similarly, I can watch many other teams home feeds.

Which leads me to my point, that we absolutely have to replace Tom Kroschel. This is no longer IPTV where we are trying to explain the sport to anyone watching. It is embarrassing listening to Tom ramble on about 1970's history while Kyven is trying to explain the action on the screen.

I know Tom is a great historian and a loyal Cyclone through and through, but he does not belong on the broadcast. Watching the UNI-Neb rebroadcast tonight and Drew Foster and whoever he is with are fantastic. As these broadcasts are more public to the wrestling community on Flo this could very easily affect recruiting.

DrizzyCyclone

Apr 7, 2013
This might be a weird complaint but the way Kroeschell enunciates some words when he talks is like nails to a chalkboard. He talks really slow and over emphasizes certain words in sentences. Did this a few times during the preview show CyTV made. Kinda hard to explain but it drive me crazy.

cyclonenation5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 12, 2013
Ames
I completely agree. Tom might be a great guy, and I’m sure there are some things he does well, but commentating college wrestling is not one of them.

There was one instance where Kyven was explaining what was happening on the mat, probably going into detail about what a wrestler wanted to do once he got in on a leg, and Tom just interrupted, cut him off, and started talking about something that was not immediately relevant. Just one of the many things that drive me nuts on cyclones.tv broadcasts.

Simply put, he doesn’t know the sport nearly well enough to make up for his complete lack of broadcasting talent.

• Agree
Reactions: SolarGarlic

BillyClone

Mar 20, 2006
Ankeny IA
Tom is a great guy. Tom is an incredibly knowledgeable historian of ISU athletics. Tom is a Cyclone great and deserves to be in the Iowa State HOF.

Tom is not a good college wrestling commentator. Just doesn’t exhibit any in-depth knowledge of the sport or the wrestlers. Kyven is incredible and makes Tom sound even worse.

Need to find some one else - any ideas out there?

• Agree
Reactions: SouthJerseyCy

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
Hearing him do interviews with the wrestlers in the room is pretty bad. Seems like it takes forever just to get his question out.

• Agree
Reactions: JM4CY

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
Always heard he’s a great guy. I’m sure that’s true. But he clearly doesn’t understand the sport well and he’s often a distraction from the action. Talk about the 1970s or cross country between matches.

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015
With all of the legends from Iowa State I can think of a lot of options: Jim Gibbons is one with experience that comes to mind. Really any well spoken x-wrestler with a play-by-play skills and interest would work. Tom is definitely passionate but he's not a play-by-play guy.

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
With all of the legends from Iowa State I can think of a lot of options: Jim Gibbons is one with experience that comes to mind. Really any well spoken x-wrestler with a play-by-play skills and interest would work. Tom is definitely passionate but he's not a play-by-play guy.

I think Jim and Tim Anderson are under contract with the BTN. However, they are a perfect example of what I'm talking about. When they did coverage on IPTV, they did a lot more basic, 'explain the rules' kind of coverage because their audience was the casual fan. On BTN, it is straightforward sports announcing. They evolved their game for their audience. I don't think Tom is capable of doing that.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
I guess I haven’t ever really payed that much attention but I think there are still a lot of people who are beginners to the sport who need the more basic explanations.

I’m going to try and pay more attention to it next dual but I don’t know that there’s a not technical enough issue. As someone who started paying attention later on and never actually wrestled Kyven talks about stuff that is just noise because I don’t have any understanding of it yet. Kyven does a good job but for me assumes to much knowledge for the viewers.

• Friendly
  • Disagree
Reactions: CyGold and jkbuff98

HitItHard58

Nov 3, 2012
Story Co.
I think Jim and Tim Anderson are under contract with the BTN. However, they are a perfect example of what I'm talking about. When they did coverage on IPTV, they did a lot more basic, 'explain the rules' kind of coverage because their audience was the casual fan. On BTN, it is straightforward sports announcing. They evolved their game for their audience. I don't think Tom is capable of doing that.
Yeah unfortunately Jim's talents are being utilized elsewhere but him and Kyven would be so good together.

HitItHard58

Nov 3, 2012
Story Co.
I guess I haven’t ever really payed that much attention but I think there are still a lot of people who are beginners to the sport who need the more basic explanations.

I’m going to try and pay more attention to it next dual but I don’t know that there’s a not technical enough issue. As someone who started paying attention later on and never actually wrestled Kyven talks about stuff that is just noise because I don’t have any understanding of it yet. Kyven does a good job but for me assumes to much knowledge for the viewers.
I get what you're saying but that's just how it is with any sport. Broadcasters can only explain so much whether it's wrestling, baseball, football, etc. while still keeping up with the action.

• Agree
Reactions: SouthJerseyCy

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
I get what you're saying but that's just how it is with any sport. Broadcasters can only explain so much whether it's wrestling, baseball, football, etc. while still keeping up with the action.
I agree but I think you have to look at the sport and adjust based on the fans. Wrestling has a core group of fans who love the sport but they don’t have many casual fans. I think wrestling needs to focus on broader appeal to grow the fan bases and participation.

For example at the dual yesterday there was a lot of confusion on the Colbray OT and the scoring. I followed what they were doing and was able to explain it to people sitting near us who were confused. That tells me that there still needs to be a lot of education for fans.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I don't expect any of you die-hard wrestling fans to think so, but I think Kyven is too technical for the average fan. I've learned much from him, but he is definitely speaking to well-informed fans and much of his commentary sails right past me.

He needs to get better at using replays to explain the technical terms he uses all the time. And he needs to let more of his "Now I want some ice cream" personality come out.

As for Tom, he has grown on me. His knowledge of history and passion for ISU wrestling is hard to ignore. Lots of our announcers for other sports have speech issues. Their love of ISU sports always wins me over.

• Agree
Reactions: Urbandale2013

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Where do you want me to start with my list of complaints about the women's basketball guy who fills in for men's basketball games and football road games on the radio!
:chris:

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
I agree but I think you have to look at the sport and adjust based on the fans. Wrestling has a core group of fans who love the sport but they don’t have many casual fans. I think wrestling needs to focus on broader appeal to grow the fan bases and participation.

For example at the dual yesterday there was a lot of confusion on the Colbray OT and the scoring. I followed what they were doing and was able to explain it to people sitting near us who were confused. That tells me that there still needs to be a lot of education for fans.

It's been tried way too often to 'bring the casual fan abord'. You know what's going to bring the casual fan abord? Winning! PSU didn't have a bunch of casual fans sitting around that demanded a winner. They made a commitment to winning and the fan base followed. Tom's style is not going to get any recruits hyped up to come to ISU, except for maybe the legacies like David and Kyven who grew up around the history.

• Winner
Reactions: Sturge34

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
It's been tried way too often to 'bring the casual fan abord'. You know what's going to bring the casual fan abord? Winning! PSU didn't have a bunch of casual fans sitting around that demanded a winner. They made a commitment to winning and the fan base followed. Tom's style is not going to get any recruits hyped up to come to ISU, except for maybe the legacies like David and Kyven who grew up around the history.
I was talking about the sport in general.

To your point though I sure as hell hope recruits aren’t making their decisions on who the color commentator on tv is. Winning will bring in fans but it also has to be an approachable sport.

• Agree
Reactions: Jake Torkelson

CYwrestle

Feb 23, 2014
I struggle watching cyclones tv for the reason that I don’t necessarily need the play by play But more commentary. If I was listening on the radio - yes, but I can see the action and what’s happening. I’m looking for backgrounds, stories of the wrestlers or the programs. insight on what the wrestler should be doing and why.

Generally you have the Individual who provides the technical commentary and the other announcer providing some background stories. If I’m working with a guy like Kyven, I’m asking questions like “what was it like wrestling in a meet like ISU vs Iowa?” “How did or do you prepare for matches?” “What’s going through an athletes mind given he’s competed at this level” etc.

Kyven is still relatively new to the announcing scene but when you watch someone like Robles he does a good job explaining the situations on what the wrestlers are doing and why. He will often tie it back to his own experience. And most importantly you can’t come across to your audience as monotone.

I would prefer ISU switches it up - maybe Kyven and Ed Banach, Dan Gable, Bobby Douglas, Nate Carr Sr. - guys who bring stories and insight to help Kyven. Just a thought.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron