Friday OT #1 - I'm Head of the Class, I'm Popular

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I actually haven't seen that many unpopular takes in this thread but these.. These are unpopular takes

The ranch thing is like...I mean I go into physical convulsions and can't understand how it's classified as food. I don't know what it is. I hesitate to even call it an opinion, it would be like saying my opinion is that I enjoy oxygen.

• Funny
Reactions: HGoat1

EnhancedFujita

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2013
Johnston
I've never been a big fan of the large chain restaurants, like Applebees, Buffalo Wild Wings, Olive Garden, etc. (And I don't think their food is all that healthy, either.)

I don't understand the massive lines at places like Olive Garden and Texas Roadhouse. We had an Olive Garden gift card a few years ago, went at 5 on a Saturday afternoon and it was an hour wait. I just went home and put ketchup on spaghetti noodles, same thing.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Ranch dressing is overrated. Blue cheese is better for wings, and I can name 4-5 salad dressings I'd choose over ranch. I’ve certainly never had the desire to dip my pizza in it.

Having a lot of visible tattoos makes you look ridiculous.

Fries are better without ketchup.

• Agree
Reactions: SCyclone

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
You are a badger fan so you are a bit biased. At least Wisky is a great team in a horrible division.

Isn't the tune to "My country this of thee" the same time as England's "God save the Queen" national anthem? That's probably why it isn't the US anthem.
and I’d say we’re biased against it as Iowa State fans. Is it great, nah. But to hear people talk about it on here you’d think we’re the sun belt.

And fun fact: yes, they use the same tune, but the United States didn’t have an official national anthem until I want to say the 1930’s. Before that we had several unofficial ones including my country tis of thee.

Also, while the words to our national anthem are meh, the tune is just terrible. Would you want to listen to the national anthem if it had different lyrics? No, of course not, because it sucks.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
Oh my gosh, food is a hot-button, isn't it? :)

For sure, try it. Also good on the Bacon Turkey Bravo! I'll do it at home, and now my kids also do it. It's just better!
I concur. But as a word of wisdom/caution: kettle chips can stab the roof of your mouth/gums if you're not careful. I prefer something like Lays. Still gives me the crunch, but I know they'll break down as soon as I bite into them. Whereas kettle chips are much stiffer and crunchier and usually take a lot more force to crunch them. They're not wrong, they're just for seasoned chip-on-sandwich veterans.

• Winner
  • Informative
Reactions: hlb76 and Angie

BuffettClone

Jul 7, 2012
While we're on the topic of adults getting scrambled eggs.....

Chicken fingers are delicious and I don't regret ordering them on occasion when out to eat.

I secretly love when my kids order chicken fingers, because I can order my "adult meal" but then get some tasty chicken fingers on the side because my kids hardly eat anything. Of course this tactic leads to me constantly gaining weight but oh well.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I concur. But as a word of wisdom/caution: kettle chips can stab the roof of your mouth/gums if you're not careful. I prefer something like Lays. Still gives me the crunch, but I know they'll break down as soon as I bite into them. Whereas kettle chips are much stiffer and crunchier and usually take a lot more force to crunch them. They're not wrong, they're just for seasoned chip-on-sandwich veterans.

This is entirely accurate. If you're a chip-on-sandwich virgin, I'd go this route to try, slowly working up to the next level:

1. Lays
2. Doritos
3. Kettle chips

Some people have tried to sell me on putting Cheetos on a sandwich, but that makes it too bumpy. You have to have a good, flat chip for it to work properly.

I don't understand our pop-culture obsession with hand-dipped ice cream "shoppes."

Overall, I agree. Then I tried Salt & Straw in Portland, and it's magical.

Reactions: pulse

cycart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2012
Johnston, IA
I’ll usually listen to podcasts at 1.25-1.5x speed. A couple of people sometimes make me think 1.5 isn’t enough. I won’t say who but they own the site ;).
That's definitely the way to do it. My wife is a big audiobook/podcast fan so it's usually 1.5x for longer drive and I agree 1x can be brutally slow.

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City
Not sure how unpopular of an opinion this is, but soccer sucks, and so does the NBA

I don't think Houston would be a bad addition to the Big 12

Last edited:

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I don't know if it's popular or unpopular but I cry when I see pineapple on an otherwise perfectly fine pizza. From my previous post you can guess what I think about people using ranch dressing on the crust.

HGoat1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 25, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Wearing a tie shouldn't be necessary to be considered business professional.

There is no justifiable reason to wear a literal noose around your neck. They're constricting and look silly. No one enjoys wearing them, the only reason they caught on is because old timers bosses were made to wear one, and they'll be damned if the next generation gets away without wearing one.

I guess my opinion wasn't that unpopular after all.

I said something similar to a couple of higher ups I work with and I thought they were going to strike me dead where I stood. Maybe its because I don't work in the most progressive of industries.

Reactions: Angie

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Wearing a tie shouldn't be necessary to be considered business professional.

There is no justifiable reason to wear a literal noose around your neck. They're constricting and look silly. No one enjoys wearing them, the only reason they caught on is because old timers bosses were made to wear one, and they'll be damned if the next generation gets away without wearing one.

At my first "real" job the owner told my boss to "tell that surfer guy you hired we can't wear polo shirts" on my first day when I wore a polo shirt, slacks and nice shoes. On the second day he told her to tell me I also couldn't wear a tie either or they'd all feel pressure to wear ties.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
I’ll usually listen to podcasts at 1.25-1.5x speed. A couple of people sometimes make me think 1.5 isn’t enough. I won’t say who but they own the site ;).

Yep, I'm set at 1.2x myself unless someone is an especially fast talker.

Audio books are a bit different. Often times the really good ones have fantastic narrators, the voice work is like a performance unto itself. So I'll listen at regular speed to get the full effect.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron