Reactions: GTO

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
Idk, I think he’s being rated fairly.

I'll say it and then get ready to catch the arrows -

He is ahead of or at least even with Monte at this point. Doesn't mean he will end up there but he is ahead of where MM was going into Sophomore year - largely because he has been forced into more duty. But he also has some physical elements - length and height - that help him out.

Fire away......

So I went and looked at stats to see if I was way off

I'll stick with the post....

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011

He is ahead of or at least even with Monte at this point. Doesn't mean he will end up there but he is ahead of where MM was going into Sophomore year - largely because he has been forced into more duty. But he also has some physical elements - length and height - that help him out.

Fire away......

So Tyrese set an all time stat record his freshman year?

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016

Fire away......

Monte had the ability to get in the lane and hit a midrange jumper one-on-one. If Tyrese can develop that, we're in business.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
I think a lot of the positivity around TH is his efficiency as a frosh last year coupled with his performances at the World Cup this year. His ability to play his game, show his ability to be a floor manager, as well as lead the way with scoring, did a lot in terms of the national perception of him.

He may be "overrated" but I do think he is a top tier point guard in the NCAA, and people should be really excited about that.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
as meaningful of a stat as Ast/TO ratio is, especially for a PG, basing his production around monte's FR record breaking season is not fair. Also, it is not the best idea to base his ability or potential off of strictly that stat

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
I agree. I hope I am wrong. Also, he was not the guy last year. Let's see how he does being the man. Hopefully he scores more and takes leadership.

I think Tyrese is comfortable not being "The Man", just as Monte was. He (Tyrese) is a facilitator, not necessarily a star. He'll make everyone else look good.....and then at the end of the game you'll see has has stuffed the stat sheet.

He is as important as any other player on the roster, to be sure - and should be first team All Big XII.

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO

Ya got me there. MM had 3.7 assists/game to .8 TO. Tyrese dropped to 3.6 assists/game to .8 TOs.

So I'll see your TO/assist ration and raise you 1.5 steals/game for TH and 1.3 steals/game for MM

Or 3.4 RB/game for TH and 2.6 for MM

And to save you checking - TH did get more minutes/game than MM - hence my forced into action preface.

Point his, he appears to be at least be on the same level. Maybe he has peaked and won't keep up with MM progression.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
I think Tyrese is comfortable not being "The Man", just as Monte was. He (Tyrese) is a facilitator, not necessarily a star. He'll make everyone else look good.....and then at the end of the game you'll see has has stuffed the stat sheet.

He is as important as any other player on the roster, to be sure - and should be first team All Big XII.

That is what I was saying. He is going to have to be more of "The Man" this year without the ones from last year. In fact we had way to many of them last year and Tyrese did exactly what he needed to do. WE shall see what he does this year without all the options and having to step into a different role a little bit.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
as meaningful of a stat as Ast/TO ratio is, especially for a PG, basing his production around monte's FR record breaking season is not fair. Also, it is not the best idea to base his ability or potential off of strictly that stat
Who said I was? I'm not the one who decided it was a great idea to say one is better than the othe based on their freshman seasons, but if we're going there give me Monte. It doesn't mean I don't think Tyrese is great, I'm just saying Monte did something that no one else has ever done his freshman year. That's enough for me.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
didn’t he break the single game assist record last year?
Yeah, Hefts single game record at ISU. Montes was a season long all time NCAA record. Guess I should have been more specific.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
Monte had the ability to get in the lane and hit a midrange jumper one-on-one. If Tyrese can develop that, we're in business.
This is the biggest difference. Tyrese was non-existent in the dribble-drive, and scoring, or passing off in the lane. However, with Wigginton and THT, he didn't really have to, or probably wasn't asked to.

Whether or not he can improve and do that this season, will go a long way in determining how good the team is.