Body Shop - Rust Repair

BanjoCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2012
Looking to the CF community for advice...

My truck has some decent rust on the rocker panels (paint peeling off in several spots). Very sad for a 6yr old vehicle, but apparently a common issue with this model.

My google searching has indicated that it is possible to DIY a repair (with or without welding)... but it looks very time consuming and I don't have any experience with body work. I'm hoping some CF'ers have had experience with local shops and can recommend one to get an estimate. I'll let the $ figures drive whether I try to repair it myself - sounds like it could be $1k-5k based on how bad it is under the panels...

On the other hand, if you know someone who does body work on the side, I'm all ears.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
If you have patience and mechanical aptitude, you could try it yourself. But the best repairs involve welding in new panels or panel sections, and a fair amount of skill.

Living in Texas, I don't think about it until I travel back to the midwest and see a 4 year old vehicle with rust holes all over it. I love winter, but that's one thing I don't miss about it.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
I would not try to fix rust on your own. You'll end up with mismatched paint/sheen. Blending across panels is not fun. Is it under rust warranty?

• Winner
Reactions: Scott34

BanjoCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2012
Thanks for the replies - -its a 2013 f150... and all the rust is contained to the rockers so far, so I'm not super worried about the repair looking great as it is well hidden.

I believe ford does have a 5 year rust warranty, but would likely only cover perforation (don't have...yet), and I'm past 5 years anyway.

• Optimistic
Reactions: DeereClone

veteran4cy

Nov 13, 2012
Ankeny
There is a product called quick covers and it is in ames. It is a thin molded plastic that can be painted to match and just cover up the rust. You could spend $5000+ repairing it with new welded on panels. Plus a lot of shops wont warranty rust work.

BanjoCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2012
I'm thinking I'll get at least one or 2 estimates just to see, but if it's as expensive as I think it will be, I'm considering just removing as much as I can and coating with something like POR 15. I would think that will buy a few more years before it's really bad.

If someone can do it in the 2k range I'll entertain it being done professionally... but above that and I'm not sure it's worth it.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
I had a great experience at Graham Collision on Merle Hay road in Urbandale. It was a minor repair but being a fleet vehicle I had to take it in instead of doing it myself. Charged a reasonable amount for both time and cost of labor. Really nice shop with great people. I wanna say it was close to double the price to have it done at Dewey plus they wanted to keep my truck for days longer.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
I cannot find any corroborating info but I believe US manufacturers used to use galvanized metal on their rocker panels. But to save money sometime around 2000 they all phased it out, which is why newer trucks seem to suffer such early rust/corrosion so quickly.

Seems dumb when you're suppose to be 'tough' or 'rugged' or whatever they all push as their image.

BanjoCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2012
I hand wax my cars every spring and fall and have had really good luck avoiding rust.
Yep - I have always been good about keeping it clean... unfortunately sounds like these trucks start rusting from the inside out due to some poor manufacturing... which makes me even more upset...