USC/Utah poor attendance

ISUMojoMan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 2, 2010
USC is already on their third QB, we gotta get Re-al some snaps.

ricochet

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2008
They live in LA not Ames, got a few more options than going to an amateur football game.

For sure there is a metric crap ton more things do there then almost anywhere else in the US. But the thing is most of the people don't, or almost never, do anything you couldn't do in Des Moines or a thousand other cities all over the country. I bet there are more people in Los Angeles that have never seen an ocean than people in Iowa who have never seen one. Sure there are a ton more people but the ocean is right next door and it is free.

SECyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 29, 2011
Pella
A lot of these pac 12 school can’t fill their stadiums. I watched Stanfords game this year when they were ranked #19 I believe and it wasn’t even half full.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
The attendance for this game was 55,719
I hope the Cyclones can draw that many today! BTW, the Coliseum is HUGE. Even when it looks 1/3 empty, there is still a large crowd. 55,000 on a Friday Night with a Dodgers game and at an inconvenient time for traffic is not bad at all!

Reactions: deadeyededric

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
California, in general, isn't really that into college sports. In Iowa, it's king, aside from nearby out-of-state professional teams. Universities have their dedicated fans, but there just isn't the level of interest there as there is here. I was surprised when I had first moved out there that the whole region wasn't talking non-stop about Cal and Stanford for football that fall. Instead, people were focused on the 49ers and Raiders, plus the Giants and A's since it was also still baseball season. College athletics are mostly an afterthought to much of California. Like it or not, there are simply more options fighting for your attention and your dollar in CA, both south AND north. It's not Iowa and it would be incorrect to assume that sports fandom is the same in both places. Some markets simply don't care the way others do.

• Informative
Reactions: BigCyFan

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
California, in general, isn't really that into college sports. In Iowa, it's king, aside from nearby out-of-state professional teams. Universities have their dedicated fans, but there just isn't the level of interest there as there is here. ...
...College athletics are mostly an afterthought to much of California. Like it or not, there are simply more options fighting for your attention and your dollar in CA, both south AND north. It's not Iowa and it would be incorrect to assume that sports fandom is the same in both places. Some markets simply don't care the way others do.
Yeah, they don’t care and hence aren’t great college sports fans. That’s the point. It’s not a false assumption.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
Yeah, I love how they boast about Dodgers' attendance when they typically show up in the 3rd and leave in the 7th.
Having lived in both LA and SF for 30+, that's the California way. But, then again, they also stand through a whole concert. It's a very weird kind of loyalty.
I wonder if WACCO still exists in LA. We would bring 250+ fans to all games 'Chicago'. WACCO = Western Association of Crazy Chicagoans and Others.