Conference Schedule & TV Times

nallen34

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 9, 2010
Ankeny, IA
My understanding is the only ESPN+ options are to watch live or a replay that can't start until 30 minutes after the game concludes. I'll miss the ability to record it on a DVR and start watching while still recording. Very useful if I can't get home for the start. Also, if you time it right you can skip all the commercials and catch up live just as the game is finishing.

One thing I like about it is that week night games can start at 7 instead of having to be in the 6-8 or 8-10 windows. We also don't have to worry about missing the start of the game because the earlier game is running long (looking at you West Virginia).

I do the same exact thing. You can start later and instead of wasting an hour watching commercials and waiting for halftime to be over, you can just fast forward through those things and watch the game straight through. I do it for almost every game I can.

• Agree
Reactions: Dormeezy

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
I just called Direct TV and ordered the Sports Pack (35 + extra sports channels) for $13.99 a month ($8.99 for the first 3 months) - which includes all of the Fox Sports Net(s) across the country, CBS Sports, NBCSport(s) across the country, ACCN, Longhorn Network and 10 extra ESPN Regional Games for football and basketball, etc. No sticks, no apps, no buffering, just easy peasy, mac and cheesy. Works for me with good Internet / Direct TV bundle I already have. If there are Cyclone game not covered by all the channels I now have, I'll just listen on the radio.

UNI1ISU2

Jun 7, 2019
I just called Direct TV and ordered the Sports Pack (35 + extra sports channels) for $13.99 a month ($8.99 for the first 3 months) - which includes all of the Fox Sports Net(s) across the country, CBS Sports, NBCSport(s) across the country, ACCN, Longhorn Network and 10 extra ESPN Regional Games for football and basketball, etc. No sticks, no apps, no buffering, just easy peasy, mac and cheesy. Works for me with good Internet / Direct TV bundle I already have. If there are Cyclone game not covered by all the channels I now have, I'll just listen on the radio.
So you will be listening to the ISU vs Kansas basketball game on the radio. Also all the other ESPN+ games.

• Agree
Reactions: Dormeezy

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Where do you think the $40m comes from? Oh yeah, probably the millions of big 12 fans including isu fans that pay $13 a month for espn+. Don’t try to twist this that Espn is being generous

ESPN+ is $4.99 per month or $49 for the year if you pay it all at once.

$13 gets you Hulu and Disney+ in addition to ESPN+.

This is faux outrage if I've ever seen it.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
ESPN+ is $4.99 per month or $49 for the year if you pay it all at once.

$13 gets you Hulu and Disney+ in addition to ESPN+.

This is faux outrage if I've ever seen it.

How long do you think E$PN is going to leave the rate at $5 / month? How many other people around the country are going to see any Big XII games on this channel? How much less money did we get to accept this deal? Terrible negotiating.

And they had it setup so well to do it right and gave in to the Mouse House. Simply could have created our own Big XII now and created our own app or perhaps let Netflix or Amazon distribute. The schools keep the rights and let each other stream all the events.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
So you will be listening to the ISU vs Kansas basketball game on the radio. Also all the other ESPN+ games.
That's fine. :) I can also go to the Home Games - if I choose.

This ESPN + deal limits the National Exposure for ISU.

Happy with what I have!

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: UNI1ISU2

istater7

Mar 31, 2010
That's fine. :) I can also go to the Home Games - if I choose.

This ESPN + deal limits the National Exposure for ISU + streaming is for limited attention span millennials.
Just not interested.

Happy with what I have!
Wut

Cyclones423

Dec 30, 2009
Des Moines, IA
ESPN+ should be included with a cable subscription that includes ESPN and ESPN 2. What was wrong with the ESPN3 model? I don't even see how they're different really, ESPN just wants an excuse to charge people more money to watch the same games that used to be included for free.

Reddit won't allow CFBStreams anymore, but apparently they've moved to this website. I recommend bookmarking it to get around paying for ESPN+ in the future.
https://sportsurge.net/#/groups/0

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
I was in a hurry, and that didn't come out right. I have edited my post. I just get annoyed with the millennials driving everything towards streaming, because they don't want "extra" channels. lol. In my old condo in Cincinnati, they are going to ELIMINATE basic cable because of this.

We were only paying $30 a month too for internet and cable. So, the internet needed to go up $10 because of all of the millennial streamers, and they voted to get rid of cable to keep the price the same instead of just paying a little more for internet. It's a hot button issue with me, and I got pissy! :)

I don't mind streaming in and of itself, but it should be an "in addition to service" instead of a "replacement" service. I like having Cable, Direct TV, etc. and having tiers for basic, plus, premium, etc. It was so easy to call and upgrade to the Direct TV Sports Package and not have to worry about sticks, apps, buffering, extra internet, etc.

As for Iowa State and the Big Xii, what we have done is sign on to something that will make the Iowa State-Kansas Men's Basketball Game a regional event. Instead of going into any bar or checking into any hotel in the country and watching ISU-KU on ESPN Basic Cable, it is now a PPV event. That's a JOKE. Buh-bye NATIONAL exposure.

Just not a fan of that setup. However, as for myself, I'll see, listen or go to the game. Not a problem. Just not good marketing for Iowa State or the Big Xii IMO. KU fans are going to be annoyed too.

Last edited:

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I was in a hurry, and that didn't come out right. I have edited my post. I just get annoyed with the millennials driving everything towards streaming, because they don't want "extra" channels. lol. In my old condo in Cincinnati, they are going to ELIMINATE basic cable because of this.

We were only paying $30 a month too for internet and cable. So, the internet needed to go up $10 because of all of the millennial streamers, and they voted to get rid of cable to keep the price the same instead of just paying a little more for internet. It's a hot button issue with me, and I got pissy! :)

I don't mind streaming in and of itself, but it should be an "in addition to service" instead of a "replacement" service. I like having Cable, Direct TV, etc. and having tiers for basic, plus, premium, etc. It was so easy to call and upgrade to the Direct TV Sports Package and not have to worry about sticks, apps, buffering, extra internet, etc.

As for Iowa State and the Big Xii, what we have done is sign on to something that will make the Iowa State-Kansas Men's Basketball Game a regional event. Instead of going into any bar or checking into any hotel in the country and watching ISU-KU on ESPN Basic Cable, it is now a PPV event. That's a JOKE. Buh-bye NATIONAL exposure.

Just not a fan of that setup. However, as for myself, I'll see, listen or go to the game. Not a problem. Just not good marketing for Iowa State or the Big Xii IMO. KU fans are goign to be annoyed too.

Do you live in a retirement community or something?

• Dislike
Reactions: CyBobby

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
Do you live in a retirement community or something?
No. An aged mixed Condo Complex. Most such places have a preferred provider with a negotiated deal via their HOA. My place in Cincinnati was with Cincinnati Bell. In Des Moines, it is with NexGen / Direct TV. I have a nice negotiated bundle through my HOA. If people wish to stream instead of going through Direct TV, that is also available and cool. However, my issues with this are beyond my personal situation.

I just think this deal pushing games to ESPN + which includes the Iowa State-Kansas Game is a bad deal for National Exposure. Plus, streaming may be cool for some people, but it is a pain in the butt for others. At best, these games should be available as an alternate source via streaming but not as the primary source for a game. Additionally, I see no reason why the Big Xii should negotiate a deal that pushes good Big Xii product to fewer people - especially prime Big Xii games. If they want to do that with low rent OOC games, that's a different story.

• Winner
Reactions: CyBobby

Cyclones423

Dec 30, 2009
Des Moines, IA
Let's not act like streaming is perfect and anyone who thinks otherwise is just an old out of touch luddite. Streaming has at best a 60 second delay and often times longer, which is big when it comes to live sports in the age of social media. It can still have bandwidth issues that have nothing to do with your own internet speed. Apps still crash mid-stream and you have to reboot them. You have to login to your service provider a bunch times. None of these issues are really present with cable, and until they are ironed out I can completely understand why someone would still prefer cable. Just turn the TV on, find your channel, boom that's it.

HoopsTournament

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
www.hoopstournament.net

Just not a fan of that setup. However, as for myself, I'll see, listen or go to the game. Not a problem. Just not good marketing for Iowa State or the Big Xii IMO. KU fans are goign to be annoyed too.
I stream everything, and I am 47 years old, so I am not a millennial.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Well that's just do to the fact that the Big XII sucks at negotiating, especially with E$PN.

I dont really think that this was negotiating ....It was E$PN dictating to the Big 12, "This is the way its going to be, so get out there and sell it to your fanbase".....

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Let's not act like streaming is perfect and anyone who thinks otherwise is just an old out of touch luddite. Streaming has at best a 60 second delay and often times longer, which is big when it comes to live sports in the age of social media. It can still have bandwidth issues that have nothing to do with your own internet speed. Apps still crash mid-stream and you have to reboot them. You have to login to your service provider a bunch times. None of these issues are really present with cable, and until they are ironed out I can completely understand why someone would still prefer cable. Just turn the TV on, find your channel, boom that's it.

Now are you saying that Johnny Walters and Eric Heft is more reliable on over the air RADIO (Than Streaming)......How Old Fashion and 1940"s....LOL

Dingus

May 23, 2013
Seems like we always play KU at home in early January. Are the students even back in school yet on Jan. 8?

EExHurGUcAEFa_t
Young and Jacobson are both solid players, but my instant reaction from seeing that poster is “It might be a long year...”

CyVoodoo

Dec 7, 2009
I dont really think that this was negotiating ....It was E$PN dictating to the Big 12, "This is the way its going to be, so get out there and sell it to your fanbase".....

There was no reason to accept. Even if they lost 3 championship games. Market those elsewhere.

Reactions: AlaCyclone