Ankeny
Understatement

b5e81d28f5014701a495592cce8d8940-full.jpg

Looks clean to me

Lemmiwinks

Aug 31, 2018
Ankeny
That is a clear PI.
While you're right, we should probably take it back to the blown call thread. This thread is about how a former and projected Michigan starting WR is backed up in our two deeps.

In his defense, he was dinged for a week or more at the end of camp along with learning a brand new system. I will say, he has looked great in the few times we've seen him this year.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Notre Dame and Ohio State both reached out to Martin when he entered the transfer portal.
Interesting. So you're saying Oliver Martin was asked to come play for Ohio State and Notre Dame, two blue bloods and top-10 programs every single year, but he chose to go to Iowa where he is currently their 5th best WR? I'm not saying you're wrong, but I can assume both Ohio State and Notre Dame are happy he chose Iowa if they did in fact contact him.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Interesting. So you're saying Oliver Martin was asked to come play for Ohio State and Notre Dame, two blue bloods and top-10 programs every single year, but he chose to go to Iowa where he is currently their 5th best WR? I'm not saying you're wrong, but I can assume both Ohio State and Notre Dame are happy he chose Iowa if they did in fact contact him.

Oliver Martin called Notre Dame and they didn't call him back. Not trolling either. He talked to UNI briefly otherwise it was only Iowa

Reactions: Statefan10 and GTO

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
While you're right, we should probably take it back to the blown call thread. This thread is about how a former and projected Michigan starting WR is backed up in our two deeps.

In his defense, he was dinged for a week or more at the end of camp along with learning a brand new system. I will say, he has looked great in the few times we've seen him this year.
Plenty of people said Martin was going to be better than Pettway and be a game changer for Iowa. Both Martin and Pettway had to learn new systems, yet Pettway is far and away better than Martin so far. Also, Martin has the same amount of receiving yards and catches as our 3rd string running back.

TRYHARDER

Aug 23, 2019
Mabye he's not. IMHO I think being able to move the football better might help make those FGs turn into TDs.
obviously. That's where losing the 2 TEs hurts. They still have to learn to work this out without them. That honestly is the biggest concern that I have from Saturday. If they had turned 2 or 3 of those FGs into TDs it would have been a comfortable win.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
obviously. That's where losing the 2 TEs hurts. They still have to learn to work this out without them. That honestly is the biggest concern that I have from Saturday. If they had turned 2 or 3 of those FGs into TDs it would have been a comfortable win.
Duncan kicked a 26, 40 yd, 42, and 39 yd field goal. It's not like Iowa was constantly on Iowa State's doorstep.

• Agree
Reactions: BillBrasky4Cy

Lemmiwinks

Aug 31, 2018
Ankeny
Plenty of people said Martin was going to be better than Pettway and be a game changer for Iowa. Both Martin and Pettway had to learn new systems, yet Pettway is far and away better than Martin so far. Also, Martin has the same amount of receiving yards and catches as our 3rd string running back.
I'm not sure who was saying Martin was going to be better than [insert ISU player here] during the preseason. I didn't (and still really don't) have much of an idea who Pettway is for ISU to be honest. I was hoping Martin could get to around 200 yards and a few TDs this season, which he still has a good shot at. I thought a good goal for him this year would be to work himself into a starting slot role, which based of Ragaini and Tracy have played so far, will be hard to do.

Funny thing about early-season stats, Nate Stanley has almost twice as many rushing yards, a better average, and more TDs than Purdy so far this year.

• Funny
Reactions: CyPunch

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I'm not sure who was saying Martin was going to be better than [insert ISU player here] during the preseason. I didn't (and still really don't) have much of an idea who Pettway is for ISU to be honest. I was hoping Martin could get to around 200 yards and a few TDs this season, which he still has a good shot at. I thought a good goal for him this year would be to work himself into a starting slot role, which based of Ragaini and Tracy have played so far, will be hard to do.

Funny thing about early-season stats, Nate Stanley has almost twice as many rushing yards, a better average, and more TDs than Purdy so far this year.
Lol that's fair considering Stanley has ran it more times and has played an extra game. Stanley would have to gain 74 more yards to be able to have 0 career rushing yards and Brock would have to lose 331 yards to meet him at 0.

Lemmiwinks

Aug 31, 2018
Ankeny
Lol that's fair considering Stanley has ran it more times and has played an extra game. Stanley would have to gain 74 more yards to be able to have 0 career rushing yards and Brock would have to lose 331 yards to meet him at 0.
Which is why I put the key phrases like "better average", "more TDs", and "twice as many yards" (almost 2x while only playing 1.5x more - we could argue about OT stats and Iowa backup playing time as well, but not worth it). Again, I brought those up because I don't think many people would argue that Stanley is a better rusher, but the stats this season say he is.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Which is why I put the key phrases like "better average", "more TDs", and "twice as many yards" (almost 2x while only playing 1.5x more - we could argue about OT stats and Iowa backup playing time as well, but not worth it). Again, I brought those up because I don't think many people would argue that Stanley is a better rusher, but the stats this season say he is.
I don't think Borck ran the ball in over time against UNI so you can toss that out the window, and you're making a case that Stanley, with playing one more game, and has 17 more yards and a QB sneak at the 1, is better than Brock Purdy at rushing so far. While I'm saying a guy that has 85 more yards and two more TD's playing in one less game is better than a player that didn't step foot on the field last game.

Lemmiwinks

Aug 31, 2018
Ankeny
I don't think Borck ran the ball in over time against UNI so you can toss that out the window, and you're making a case that Stanley, with playing one more game, and has 17 more yards and a QB sneak at the 1, is better than Brock Purdy at rushing so far. While I'm saying a guy that has 85 more yards and two more TD's playing in one less game is better than a player that didn't step foot on the field last game.

I'm not saying that, the stats are. I'm showing how stats 2-3 games in are about as worthless as you can get.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Whether he started a game or not is irrelevant. You are trying to make it sound like Martin transferred because he wasn’t going to play at Michigan when that’s obviously not the case.

Looking pretty obvious he wasn't going to play there

• Funny
Reactions: HOU_Blue

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I'm not saying that, the stats are. I'm showing how stats 2-3 games in are about as worthless as you can get.
I get what you're saying. I think what I'm trying to say and what others are saying is that there were quite a few hawkeye fans "maybe not you" that either were on here or on twitter exclaiming that Oliver Martin could change the entire season as far as success goes. He didn't even see the field against Iowa State, and Brian Ferentz was asked about it and he said "I'm not going through that this year".