The infamous holding call

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Yeah, against an Iowa zone that did not do much but play base 4-3 due to new personnel this game. Which is what Fitz at NW does everytime we play them and does it effectively. ISU offense looked just like that this game.

Hasn't Iowa played 4-3 all year?

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
I guess if you think he used the crown they could have reviewed. The player definitely wasn't defenseless. I think it's nitpicking if you want that to be a targeting foul. They'll have to start reviewing every time a running back carries the ball up the middle. I'm all for protecting defenseless players which is why you see it called when a receiver gets popped on a catch, but to call it when the ball is being carried on a run is over the top. Maybe they should start calling the offensive player for targeting when he lowers his head to absorb a tackle.
No one "thinks" he used his crown......they know. And that's all anyone has been saying...flag and review it because the officials can either dq the player with penalty yards, just the yards, or wave it off. Like moore said....it's not nitpicking.....it's the rule. As for you last statement, see our bowl game last year against WSU. Our defense was penalized for exactly that. Enforce it....or get rid of it.

Thinker

Mar 31, 2017
Who was out week one and week two that kept them from playing what they wanted?
Well, Brents, Meriweather, Hankins, Moss to name a few were hurt or got hurt early this year, we are young on the back end as it is, so we are going back to the 4-3 out of necessity, not because they want to do it.

• Funny
Reactions: CyTwins

Gitwitit

Dec 31, 2008
If you were at the game, or watching on TV, you could hear the crack of the 2 helmets hitting. It is not nitpicking. This is an incredibly dangerous collision (more so than a run up the middle where both players have little or no room to build up speed for the hit). This hit was massive, and the fact that the force of the hit started from the helmet directly to the helmet of another player make it incredibly dangerous. The purpose of the leading with the crown of the helmet protects the tackler more than the carrier. Take a look back at Luther vs. Central College where a player dropped his helmet and led with the crown and it got him paralyzed.
That's fine but just because two helmets hit doesn't make it a penalty. He has to launch with the crown of the helmet. It rarely gets called when an established runner has the ball out in the open. The offensive player plays a part in the contact as well as they often lower their head and body to absorb the hit.

Thinker

Mar 31, 2017
All plays count. Serious answer. Go pose somewhere else, Rodan.

So it is not 9.3 "threw the air" it is 9.3 yards per play. With includes the plays that take in the dumps and short passing games.... which are 2 seconds and throw type plays.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Well, Brents, Meriweather, Hankins, Moss to name a few were hurt or got hurt early this year, we are young on the back end as it is, so we are going back to the 4-3 out of necessity, not because they want to do it.

Didn't Merriweather and Hankins play both week one and week two? Moss is a backup

If this Brents guy being hurt prevents you from playing a defense you want that's pretty alarming

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Serious question does that statistic show yards after catch? or does it include the HB pass?
Yes it includes that pass as well but that doesn't take away from the fact that we threw the ball down the field.. Here are the first 10 pass plays of the game for Iowa State.

Pass complete for 12 yards
Pass complete for 4 yards
Pass complete for 51 yards (HB pass)
Pass incomplete (would've been a 55 yard reception)
Pass complete for 17 yards
Pass complete for 7 yards
Pass complete for 1 yard.

Gitwitit

Dec 31, 2008
No one "thinks" he used his crown......they know. And that's all anyone has been saying...flag and review it because the officials can either dq the player with penalty yards, just the yards, or wave it off. Like moore said....it's not nitpicking.....it's the rule. As for you last statement, see our bowl game last year against WSU. Our defense was penalized for exactly that. Enforce it....or get rid of it.
Statefan said he didn't know that that was the case. If the official didn't think he lead with the crown and the player isn't defenseless there is no reason to throw a flag. Football is finished if they start throwing flags anytime two guys bang helmets when it's an established runner out in the open.

Thinker

Mar 31, 2017
Didn't Merriweather and Hankins play both week one and week two? Moss is a backup

If this Brents guy being hurt prevents you from playing a defense you want that's pretty alarming
Not if we do not have the depth right now to do it.

• Informative
Reactions: CyTwins

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
So it is not 9.3 "threw the air" it is 9.3 yards per play. With includes the plays that take in the dumps and short passing games.... which are 2 seconds and throw type plays.

I will say that Purdy was very impressive with the ball. He made very quick decisions and accurate throws. He didn't give the rush much time to get to him because of how fast he was with his delivery.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Statefan said he didn't know that that was the case. If the official didn't think he lead with the crown and the player isn't defenseless there is no reason to throw a flag. Football is finished if they start throwing flags anytime two guys bang helmets when it's an established runner out in the open.
I'm not 100% sure because I haven't seen a replay of the game, but I did see everyone come unglued when it happened. Given that Iowa State had starters on the defense get thrown out of the bowl game last year for similar hits, I can imagine if I saw it again I'd be upset. Refs need to figure out this call all-together.

Thinker

Mar 31, 2017
Yes it includes that pass as well but that doesn't take away from the fact that we threw the ball down the field.. Here are the first 10 pass plays of the game for Iowa State.

Pass complete for 51 yards (HB pass)
Pass incomplete (would've been a 55 yard reception)
Pass complete for 17 yards
Pass complete for 7 yards
Pass complete for 1 yard.
You had 3 that were longer throws than 10 yards, were they catch and fall down type routes or were there yards after the catch. The HB pass was ran away from AJEs side btw, then it was all shorter throws.......

Thinker

Mar 31, 2017
I will say that Purdy was very impressive with the ball. He made very quick decisions and accurate throws. He didn't give the rush much time to get to him because of how fast he was with his delivery.
That is exactly what I am saying, it was part of the game plan. Get rid of the ball to negate the rush... NW style

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
You had 3 that were longer throws than 10 yards, were they catch and fall down type routes or were there yards after the catch. The HB pass was ran away from AJEs side btw, then it was all shorter throws.......

You should listen to Jeff Woody on the latest podcast to hear how they made Epenesa irrelevant on the field by attacking him