KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
So far this season I've seen arguments against playing UNI (expected win. devastating if it's a loss) and Iowa (they're just too tough)

Anyone going to have an argument against playing Louisiana Monroe? How about against playing in the Big 12?

Maybe we just can't handle having a football team at all

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
If we scheduled 3 non-con cupcakes and killed them we would all probably complain and want to get a good team on the schedule.

From a very technical standpoint we would be better off with 3 cupcakes - the only time scheduling a tough non-con is beneficial is if you are in the playoff hunt.

I like playing the game, it’s what makes college football fun.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
I’m honestly sick of media members saying this.

This game might be good for the state but I am 100% convinced it’s bad for Iowa State. Gameday was great.

Ultimately anybody who survived that crucible in Ames yesterday left just exhausted and defeated. When the punt turnover happened nobody yelled. There was no “oh no!” Shout. Everybody just shambled out of the stadium like it was the zombie apocalypse.

Losing games like this and losing consistently in the noncon is bad for Iowa State. We sell plenty of tickets with or without Iowa. The AD is funded by the TV contracts.

If this sounds like a scared to play Iowa or something post... it is. Playing them is a 50/50 win chance at best. The last decade they’ve won much more than that. Convince me this game is good for Iowa State.

Yesterday was a 16-18 hour day for many people. I wouldn't try to extrapolate any greater meaning from people's reactions to the end of the game than that.

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
So you wanna schedule Nebraska? Mizzou

Maybe we look for the isolated weak gazelle from a Power 5 conference that we can try to beat.
Illinois? Oregon State? Half the ACC?

Or do you want another Sun Belt conference or adding another MAC team?

Iowa is a solid team, usually with several future NFL players on it given recent history. They make you earn it, and challenge your team's psyche knowing they probably will not beat themselves

Playing a bunch of bad teams early on does not prepare you for what you face in conference.

Personally I think Campbell is trying to build a program similar to that of Iowa City bunch, but based on yesterday clearly still a work in progress.

cytown

Aug 8, 2012
Naperville, IL
Part of elevating this program to a perennial big 12 contender and eventual natty contender is getting 100% of the in state talent. Losing to Iowa 70% of the time won’t let that happen. Not playing Iowa won’t let that happen either. We have to play them and we need to win the majority of the time. It goes beyond just the rivalry.

Yes, they are good. But we need to be better.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
I’m honestly sick of media members saying this.

This game might be good for the state but I am 100% convinced it’s bad for Iowa State. Gameday was great.

Ultimately anybody who survived that crucible in Ames yesterday left just exhausted and defeated. When the punt turnover happened nobody yelled. There was no “oh no!” Shout. Everybody just shambled out of the stadium like it was the zombie apocalypse.

Losing games like this and losing consistently in the noncon is bad for Iowa State. We sell plenty of tickets with or without Iowa. The AD is funded by the TV contracts.

If this sounds like a scared to play Iowa or something post... it is. Playing them is a 50/50 win chance at best. The last decade they’ve won
Part of elevating this program to a perennial big 12 contender and eventual natty contender is getting 100% of the in state talent. Losing to Iowa 70% of the time won’t let that happen. Not playing Iowa won’t let that happen either. We have to play them and we need to win the majority of the time. It goes beyond just the rivalry.

Our record against Iowa is 20 Wins and 40 Losses as per Fox Sports TV....I agree we need to get better against Iowa...

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
It's hard to tell because there were so many estimates, but there were clearly tens of thousands of people around JTS yesterday who weren't even going to the game. That meant they were spending money on food, booze and etc.

How many people who aren't going to the game against ULM will be hanging around JTS next weekend leading up to the game?

So yes, this game is great for the state.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009

This x100

A lot of people don’t realize Iowa was a joke until Fry and he made it a point to run ISU into the ground to win this state. It worked, and the only way to change that is to take them on and de-throne them. Running away won’t change the narrative.

WoodCy

Feb 28, 2014
Atkins, IA
We need to beat Iowa.

Let us not forget that the Hoks are going to be a crossroads probably sooner than later. The Ol' gum smacker, Ferentz is much closer to retirement than he is the start of his career. All it takes is a missed hire, which if Barta is still in the building could easily happen, and they could be in a tailspin. Take a good look at Alabama. After Gene Stallings and before Saban they were a hot mess. After Switzer and before Stoops, OU was hot garbage. Look at current situations at Tennesee, Nebraska and Florida State.

State didn't win on Saturday but we had an honest chance. We beat ourselves. We will improve. Don't lose hope and don't fall into some funk thinking that Ferentz and the Hoks $hit golden eggs. They are beatable, we proved that yesterday. We just need to stay out of own way.

Raiders70

Nov 18, 2015
The place was 98% full after three hours of rain delays. How many people do you think would stay if that would happen against ULM next week? How many people are going to sell tickets for next to nothing next week? It will probably be hard to even give them away. I am sick of losing to them but honestly except for the final score it was a pretty fun day.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
So far this season I've seen arguments against playing UNI (expected win. devastating if it's a loss) and Iowa (they're just too tough)

Anyone going to have an argument against playing Louisiana Monroe? How about against playing in the Big 12?

Maybe we just can't handle having a football team at all

Or maybe you are just dumb

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
It could have been 28-3 ISU entering the 4th with football basics last night and today we'd love the game.

This next week will be interesting. If ISU comes out and screws around to keep it close or lose, who do they schedule?

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
The place was 98% full after three hours of rain delays. How many people do you think would stay if that would happen against ULM next week? How many people are going to sell tickets for next to nothing next week? It will probably be hard to even give them away. I am sick of losing to them but honestly except for the final score it was a pretty fun day.
I actually thought the lightning delay took a lot out of the crowd, as it would for any teams fans. There were a fair number of students that didn’t come back and fill the upper deck and a fair number of people scattered around me that also didn’t show up again. It really does suck waiting around packed in tight shoulder to shoulder under the stadium deck for what feels like hours.

• Agree
Reactions: BCClone

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron