Why did we run so much?

CyBlitz

May 9, 2016
First of all that's not how you spell offense. CMC's offense while being a spread is still a power run based offense. Take Butler's big play ability out of the equation last season and this is what a Power Spread Offense looks like. We will run alot of R.P.O style plays this season, we will have a bunch of 3 TE sets, and we run the ball alot. We have a good stable of backs that will get the job done. This is and never was going to be a pass the ball 60 times a game and score 50+ points. The defense is elite and will stop teams. All the offense has to do is score enough to win. It was ugly but that's exactly what they did yesterday.
Yeah I agree that it should power run spread offense. I was meaning on spreading the ball that the receptions should be spread out through several receivers and stretch the field.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
You dont understand what the word "probably" means? In any case, I honestly dont care that much about football, so my point still stands. I thought the offensive line, running backs, and play calling were extremely poor yesterday.

There needs to be a super dumb rating for you.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Three running backs averaging 4.3ypc is below average in an NFL game, let alone playing against a 1-AA team in college. How do they expect to run on Iowa in a couple weeks?

Probably by using one game as a barometer for the rest of the season and assuming they can't improve at all between games.

Reactions: isutrevman

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Three running backs averaging 4.3ypc is below average in an NFL game, let alone playing against a 1-AA team in college. How do they expect to run on Iowa in a couple weeks?
4.3 yards every play moves the chains still. Just because uni held us to that doesn’t mean every other team the rest of the year will either.

Reactions: NoCreativity

tolfbfan

Nov 29, 2015
Ohio
tenor.gif
tenor.gif
tenor.gif
tenor.gif
tenor.gif
tenor.gif

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: ZB4CY

CentexCyclone

Oct 20, 2015
We've got an early nominee for bat**** crazy post of the year.

The RB group is good and it's impressive that they were all successful. Oline got push up front which is ahead of last year.

Should have run more yesterday if anything. The edge was there often. The concern is ISU still has a trend of not takint what's there. 4th and 1 and running well? Run the ball and push reset instead of that weird pasa across the field.

Safeties deep? Take the underneath stuff and let the skillsets do work.

Can’t complain too much about the run blocking or run game. I do not recall our RBs getting hit in the backfield very often. In fact I remember many plays were they had a head of steam hitting the 2nd level. TE’s also did a reasonably good job run blocking (check out the 3 TEs on the left side of the line on Croney’s OT touchdown. They pushed their defenders 3 yards deep in the end zone). Pass pro, on the other hand, was just embarrassing at times. While there are some obvious, individual improvements needed (can Meeker pls learn how to handle a corner blitz?!?), getting Purdy out of the pocket or actually running on an RPO will help keep opposing D-linemen honest.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
My 2 cents: The running game and running backs were okay, but not a lot better. I was really frustrated the number of times that ISU had a 3rd and 1 or 4th and 1 and could not convert. Same with a few times when the got 8 on first and then got stuffed for a 4 yard loss. Got to figure out something to pick those things up. Also I was mad near the end of regulation when ISU ran Croney to the right 3 times in a row. He got 6, 2 and lost 2 I think. Just no misdirection at all in the offense yesterday. Disappointed in the play calling and the OL play in pass protection more than the running game. Sure it could have been better, but loosing Kene when he was really getting to the edge hurt.

• Agree
Reactions: FinalFourCy

LutherBlue

Oct 19, 2006
This game had all the markings of a classic ISU choke.

1. Missed chip shot FG
2. Strip/sack/fumble return for 6
3. Head scratching play calls at crucial moments
4. Drive-killing penalties
5. Poor OL play - JGJ is just not that good, sorry.
6. Unheralded and unproven opponent making some incredible plays (long FGs and McElvain looking like Fran Tarkenton).

Thankfully, it was UNI so the game was close and ISU got a huge break on the Croney fumble. Purdy and the defense were fine. The running game was OK, but none of those guys reminded me of Montgomery. The TEs are very useful receivers.

ISU was fortunate to win. They gutted it out and that is a sign of progress in the program. I will never complain about any win ever.

• Agree
Reactions: flycy and NWICY

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

1. Missed chip shot FG
6. Unheralded and unproven opponent making some incredible plays (long FGs and McElvain looking like Fran Tarkenton).

Thankfully, it was UNI so the game was close and ISU got a huge break on the Croney fumble. Purdy and the defense were fine. The running game was OK, but none of those guys reminded me of Montgomery. The TEs are very useful receivers.

ISU was fortunate to win. They gutted it out and that is a sign of progress in the program. I will never complain about any win ever.

Watching other games....there's just not many Montgomerys out there.

It seems like nearly every back I see, I'm thinking 'DM would have picked up 3 more there'.

ISU had a straight up gem.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Yeah I agree that it should power run spread offense. I was meaning on spreading the ball that the receptions should be spread out through several receivers and stretch the field.
Jones caught a ton of passes as a secondary or tertiary (maybe quaternary?) target. That little touch-pass sweep thing gets scored as a pass too. But 9 different receivers ended up with at least one reception. I'd call that spreading it around.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019

1. Missed chip shot FG

I know you meant this well, but David Montgomery was one of the best RB's in the nation last year, and he might be a top 10 running back in the NFL this year. We're not Alabama, so we aren't just going to plug the next NFL running back into our system right away. We rushed pretty darn well and did an okay job at run blocking. The scheme wasn't perfect, but I thought all of our guys did okay. Not perfect, but okay.

This isn't directed to you but to the original post. We threw the ball 41 times and I actually thought there were a few times, particularly on 3rd or 4th and short, where we should've ran the ball. Instead we tried to get cute and throw it when in reality, we probably would've gotten a first down.

• Agree
Reactions: CyCloned and flycy

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
They were playing a I-AA team with the safeties playing deep. Any running back in Division 1 could have averaged 4 ypc against that defense. Im just telling you, the drop off is pretty significant from Montgomery to that trio at it will be evident in a couple weeks against Iowa.

Every Running Back did average over 4 yards per carry.

Screen Shot 2019-09-03 at 8.23.38 AM.png

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
After going to the game and then rewatching some of it, there was some points of the game were I was so frustrated that we were running the ball so much. I just couldn’t wrap my head around why we were doing run after run and it usually got us only 0-3 yards per carry. Our runs didn’t start getting real yards till we put in Croney in the fourth quarter. I also think we could of utilized Purdy’s abilities more than what we did yesterday. I think it was maybe because to prevent Purdy from getting injured. Also maybe we were testing out our RB position after Montgomery left. Or we were saving our playbook for the Iowa game. I don’t know, what do you guys think?

We should have ran more!!! UNI is a team we should come out and smash mouth them, they'd be worn down in Q3 and we'd run all over them.

Plus they were trying to mimic our defense by playing a 3 safety 3 deep coverage to not give up anything deep.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Every Running Back did average over 4 yards per carry.

View attachment 66116
Yes. In 2017, David ran for for 82 yards and 2 TD's. Sure he had two TD's, but let's not act like he ran for 200 yards. We ran the ball well as a collective group. Were there times where a RB should've maybe bounced it? Sure. But until Croney took his share of snaps (he looked like the best RB in my opinion), we were playing guys that have either barely touched the ball, or haven't touched the ball at all. These guys need time to get a groove, but putting up 193 yards together is not something we should be angry about.

• Agree
Reactions: uro cy

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
Yes. In 2017, David ran for for 82 yards and 2 TD's. Sure he had two TD's, but let's not act like he ran for 200 yards. We ran the ball well as a collective group. Were there times where a RB should've maybe bounced it? Sure. But until Croney took his share of snaps (he looked like the best RB in my opinion), we were playing guys that have either barely touched the ball, or haven't touched the ball at all. These guys need time to get a groove, but putting up 193 yards together is not something we should be angry about.

And if Kene wouldn't have been injured, we would have had well over 200. He couldn't be stopped once he hit that edge until he was in the 2nd level.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
Same story every time Iowa State or Iowa plays UNI. Folks scream that it is embarrassing that the FBS line can't dominate a FCS line. Guess what, UNI almost always has a good line, especially the first game of the year before any injuries that are inevitable in a season. Looking at the yds/carry discrepancy I would say that was a dominate performance in rush blocking. Calm down, first game issues often mean nothing.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Same story every time Iowa State or Iowa plays UNI. Folks scream that it is embarrassing that the FBS line can't dominate a FCS line. Guess what, UNI almost always has a good line, especially the first game of the year before any injuries that are inevitable in a season. Looking at the yds/carry discrepancy I would say that was a dominate performance in rush blocking. Calm down, first game issues often mean nothing.
If you looked at the game on paper after the game, you would've thought we had won the game by 24. It all came down to not executing in certain situations and having a fumble call not go our way that kept UNI in the game.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron