On That Note: By The Time We Got (Back) To Woodstock

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
And later, he wrote the theme song for "Welcome Back, Kotter." (Originally, he wrote only 1 verse for the show, for the 45 version added a 2nd verse and an instrumental break featuring harmonica).

He also came to ISU during my times there. Probably around '76-77. It was at C Y Stephens and he specifically mentioned that that song was probably the reason he was touring. I think it may have actually been free, but memories are faded.

I also saw The Who (minus Keith) and CSN at ISU during my time there.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Okay, I posted Santana because I was into the dude back than. Lots of great music and all played but the first song I always think about is actually Richie Havens beating on his guitar in Freedom/Motherless Child. To me it spoke to the national angst of 1969.

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
Another version (and video) of I Shall Be Released, by the Band, probably from 1970 (and seen in the film Festival Express). They have a somewhat unusual lineup of piano (Richard Manuel), organ (Garth Hudson), bass (Rick Danko), guitar (Robbie Robertson) and drums (Levon Helm). All were multi-instrumentalists except Robertson.

Reactions: Cydar and MeanDean

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
Johnny Winter at Woodstock, backed only by a bass player and drummer. It sounds like more than one guitar but it's just him playing finger style (using a thumb pick and playing both the bottom and lead parts). He sticks to the basic riff for a while, but really takes off later, when he brings out the slide.

Johnny grew up in Beaumont Texas and was a bit of a prodigy, playing in clubs by age 15. I think he was one of the all time great blues guitarists, and he lived the lifestyle of a bluesman too. The last time I saw him was around 2000 (at the Val Air in Des Moines) and he probably didn't weigh more than 115 pounds--but he always had the feel for the blues in his playing. Always.

Last edited:

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Morning maniac music ... it's the new dawn.

@matclone and @KCCLONE712 posted one Jefferson Airplane track from the show. If you watch Airplane's set, there's high points but some rough stretches (if you want, check "Somebody to Love").

To be fair, due to continued delays, schedules got way out of whack. From what I’ve read, the band was scheduled for Saturday night, but didn't take the stage until something like 8 a.m. the next day.

This one went decently enough, Balin's vocal is a driving force.

Last edited:

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
I've always marveled at the legendary talent that didn't make the record or movie cut.

Granted, it was the most obvious of reasons, but still.

• Agree
Reactions: MeanDean

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
Woodstock?
latest

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Okay, I posted Santana because I was into the dude back than. Lots of great music and all played but the first song I always think about is actually Richie Havens beating on his guitar in Freedom/Motherless Child. To me it spoke to the national angst of 1969.

Santana was my first "real" concert I got into as a high school kid. I had recently got into 60s and 70s rock and they played the big blues festival in Sioux City mid 90s. It was just a year or two before he made his huge main stream comeback with those pop hits.

Just posted Lives in the Balance by Richie Havens. I heard him play it live on a Howard Stern rerun in the car a few weeks ago and it almost gave me tears.

Reactions: matclone

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Morning maniac music ... it's the new dawn.

@matclone and @KCCLONE712 posted one Jefferson Airplane track from the show. If you watch Airplane's set, there's high points but some rough stretches (if you want, check "Somebody to Love").

To be fair, due to continued delays, schedules got way out of whack. From what I’ve read, the band was scheduled for Saturday night, but didn't take the stage until something like 8 a.m. the next day.

This one went decently enough, Balin's vocal is a driving force.

“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music, believe me, yeah… It’s the new dawn…”

Absolutely love that quote.

Reactions: cyclones500

Help Support Us

Become a patron