Texas game on Cyclones.tv

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
There was some talk amongst us Cyclone Fanatics that it would be fun to retaliate the LHN by putting this game on Cyclones.tv. With FS1 picking up the UNI game does that mean we can make this happen? This would be the last chance before ESPN+ takes over.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: flycy

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
That would be epic, however, I'm sure it'll be a ranked match up and a network will pick it up.

Yes, but the way I understand the agreement is Iowa State is guaranteed one home game on Cyclines.tv. If they havent broadcast a game yet, they could then pick this one.

cymonw1980

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2015
Raleigh, NC
Yes, but the way I understand the agreement is Iowa State is guaranteed one home game on Cyclines.tv. If they havent broadcast a game yet, they could then pick this one.

Not exactly... it is unlikely any ISU games will be on Cyclones.tv this year (from my understanding). The "T3" rights are whatever content is not picked up by ESPN/Fox... All conference games are on national TV (even kansas has all conf games on ESPN or Fox). So, ESPN and Fox agreed to let the LHN have one conf game... it's not because they don't want it, it's just what they have agreed to. So, no way the networks would allow any ISU conference games to fall to T3. Again, even Kansas has all of their conf games on one of the (many) sports channels owned by ESPN or Fox.

I could watch every B12 conf game in Raleigh, NC except the ISU vs. Texas game which you had to specifically purchase the LHN to watch. Most of the sports bars in town didn't even have that game since there is literally no content outside of 1 game a season that anyone would have interest in and it doesn't come as part of any sports package here... it is only available as a standalone purchase. Had to call about 4 sports bars to find one that had it.

Hopefully with our program's rise we will no longer be the game that they give to the LHN in the future... used to rotate between kansas and ISU whichever was a texas home game that year..... don't think that will be the case going forward.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
For any game being on the LHN, it needs to be passed up by the television networks. Since ESPN runs the LHN, they have purposely, in the past, refused to pick up the game on their ESPN, ESPN2, etc channels, therefore allowing it to be on the LHN. My basic understanding is that when its ESPN's sole weekend to pick games (leaving Fox Sports out) they purposely allow the Texas game to fall to tier 3 status and therefore end up on the LHN. ISU won't get that kind of treatment by the networks as we don't have the audience or pull that Texas does.

It is very possible that FS1 purchased from ISU the rights to broadcast the UNI game. Or in other words, ISU sold the game that would be on Cyclones.tv to FS1 to broadcast. However, my bet is that the ULM game will be on Cyclones.tv

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Harming Longhorn fans sounds fun, but I don't think we should poke the steer from whom we get some much of our steak!

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Another thing to add. Every conference school was allowed one non-conference game to be owned by the school. Historically for ISU, this has been the first game of the season. Additionally, all the other schools have one game that they own that is allowed on their own network. Texas gets this too, but as I described above, ESPN purposely allows a conference game to fall to Tier 3 rights and therefore, end up on the LHN. So Texas gets two games on their network when the other schools only get one. ESPN has a big conflict of interest with the LHN network as they are invested in it to succeed at the cost of hurting the conference.

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
Harming Longhorn fans sounds fun, but I don't think we should poke the steer from whom we get some much of our steak!

No harm done. Cyclones.tv offers a 24 hour pass for $4.99.

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
Another thing to add. Every conference school was allowed one non-conference game to be owned by the school. Historically for ISU, this has been the first game of the season. Additionally, all the other schools have one game that they own that is allowed on their own network. Texas gets this too, but as I described above, ESPN purposely allows a conference game to fall to Tier 3 rights and therefore, end up on the LHN. So Texas gets two games on their network when the other schools only get one. ESPN has a big conflict of interest with the LHN network as they are invested in it to succeed at the cost of hurting the conference.

That's not quite how it reads on Cyclones.com. I will attach a screen shot below. It says iowa state is guaranteed one football game on Cyclones.tv. keep in mind cyclones.tv cant live broadcast a game being shown on espn fox etc.

So, if Iowa State were to dedicate the texas game to cyclones.tv before any of the big names picks it up than Iowa State would own rights to that game. And it would need to be purchased. Because of the whole guaranteed part.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190805-133343_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190805-133343_Chrome.jpg
    506.6 KB · Views: 10
  • Disagree
Reactions: flycy

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

They aren't guaranteed a game.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Not that its even possible, but brilliant. Take a showcase game that would garner national interest and stick it on a channel where no one will see it. That game means WAAAAAY more to ISU than it does to Texass. But never put it past Cyclone fans desire to cut their own nose off to spite their face. See the Gameday/Iowa game discussion for exhibit A.

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: flycy and Aclone

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
There was some talk amongst us Cyclone Fanatics that it would be fun to retaliate the LHN by putting this game on Cyclones.tv. With FS1 picking up the UNI game does that mean we can make this happen? This would be the last chance before ESPN+ takes over.

Get new friends. This idea is not going to happen.

• Funny
Reactions: isukendall

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Last year's Texas game was picked up as the first choice by ESPN and given to the LHN. That is why it couldn't be also on cyclones TV as it has been in the past

Is there anything stopping ESPN from doing the same thing this year? They need LHN to make some money, so I would expect ESPN to do the same thing this year with a higher profile game, unless there is some contractual thing stopping them from doing so.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Is there anything stopping ESPN from doing the same thing this year? They need LHN to make some money, so I would expect ESPN to do the same thing this year with a higher profile game, unless there is some contractual thing stopping them from doing so.

I'm 99.99% positive Texas holds zero rights on a road game.