Oliver Martin Derangement Syndrome

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
This 4th string receiver at Michigan from Iowa City is getting a lot of run. If we take him we take him. Maybe he can develop. If Iowa get's him they get him. Maybe he will develop. Right now though he is a bust. I don't actually care who get's him. It's not like he is a difference maker. There are 50 other kids out there that are just as good if not better. I mean the kid should look at UNI with the stats he puts up.

• Agree
Reactions: ATCy and Brandon

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
This 4th string receiver at Michigan from Iowa City is getting a lot of run. If we take him we take him. Maybe he can develop. If Iowa get's him they get him. Maybe he will develop. Right now though he is a bust. I don't actually care who get's him. It's not like he is a difference maker. There are 50 other kids out there that are just as good if not better. I mean the kid should look at UNI with the stats he puts up.

At the same stage in their career, he has production close to Hakeem Butler. Imagine thinking that's a bust and writing him off as a UNI level player.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

This is a bad take. Michigan has a ton of talent at WR. If he decided to go to Iowa State or Iowa he would be an instant impact player. Iowa obviously needs him much more than we do but he would definitely contribute for us.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Agree with this. Don't think either program is turning him down if he wants to join them.

Honestly, I can see Kirk being stubborn enough to not even pursue him since he didn't choose Iowa the first time around...

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Our baby brothers over on Hokeye Pokey Forum are all up in arms over the rumors of Oliver Martin leaving Michigan and transferring to the hoks. Apparently this isn't quite correct.

Talked with his dad over the weekend: Facts
He loves Michigan.
He's not ever leaving.
If he did, ISU would be his lean more then Iowa.
His field efforts do not out weigh his degree efforts.

Iowa's lack of WR involvement hurt and is still hurting with the newest recruits.

So, his dad didn't really know what he was doing?

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
This is a bad take. Michigan has a ton of talent at WR. If he decided to go to Iowa State or Iowa he would be an instant impact player. Iowa obviously needs him much more than we do but he would definitely contribute for us.

I can see your point. I don't think he is an instant impact guy though. I mean if he is that good he would have seen the field and caught more balls. Michigan is pretty good at receiver. However, if the kid is that good they would have found him a roll and used him. I think he could come in and be a Milton type player for us.

• Agree
Reactions: aobie

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

How do you know he'd be an instant impact player for a team that didn't even want him out of High School when he was more highly thought of?

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I don't think anyone truly knows whether or not he'd be an immediate impact player anywhere. He has zero production numbers, but he's been behind pretty talented guys. If he were to go somewhere else, maybe he'd be able to show what he could do, maybe not. There is a much higher probability that he'd be more of an immediate impact guy at Iowa though. Their receiving core is not as talented and does not have the depth that we do. If Coach Campbell sees potential and thinks that he could help the team out in some way or form, I would have no problem taking him. If he could come in and produce like a Landon Akers, I would see no problem with taking him.

• Agree
Reactions: Cydkar

WIB

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 2, 2010
Ames
CyTwins is going a bit overboard here.... Dude was a top 300 player out of HS. If he wants to come here I wouldn't have an issue with it. Load up on talent as much as you can. Oh, and yeah his stats weren't great. Michigan hasn't had a 1,000 yard receiver since 2013. Not like they are using receivers a lot.

Last edited:

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Yes, how dare he be rational! Shame on him for not agreeing with the narrative you are trying to push.
:rolleyes:
I mean one is a 6'1" junior who has 125 yards, 1 TD, and has played in 7 games total. The other is 6'6", was the best receiver in the Big 12 last year, and got drafted by the Cardinals with a chance to start. There are more logical players you could cherry pick stats from that are not the best receiver in Iowa State history. I concur with twins.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
C’mon man, Iowa State just added a JUCO WR with zero P5 offers who put up pedestrian (at best) stats in junior college- it’s not like they’re being super selective. I understand you guys are just setting yourselves up for a “we didn’t want him anyway” when he doesn’t go to Iowa State, but don’t be ridiculous about it.
Starting your post with a false statement is a bold move

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
I mean one is a 6'1" junior who has 125 yards, 1 TD, and has played in 7 games total. The other is 6'6", was the best receiver in the Big 12 last year, and got drafted by the Cardinals with a chance to start. There are more logical players you could cherry pick stats from that are not the best receiver in Iowa State history. I concur with twins.

He is going to be a RS Sophomore. If he gets a waiver he can play three, if not, sit one play two.

• Informative
Reactions: aobie

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
He is going to be a RS Sophomore. If he gets a waiver he can play three, if not, sit one play two.
Alright... so it'll be Oliver Martin's second true year in college. So if we're comparing stats to Hakeem Butler, Oliver Martin has the potential to catch 41 passes, have 700 receiving yards, and record 7 TD's in year 2. They had similar newcomer years, so they could have similar second years. If that's the case, then holy cow get him the waiver, we want him, he's a starter day 1.