cordless power tools suggestions

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
looking for suggestions for battery powered tools.... I have a dewalt 14.4 v drill that's lasted me the better part of 15 years however it's on it's last leg. That coupled with we have a gas powered weed wacker that has seen it's final days. It'd be nice to have a leaf blower. I have a real nice gas mower and won't be getting rid of that anytime soon. I already have a corded skill saw and recip saw so it'd take quite a bit to convince me to ditch those for battery operated. I tend to do a fair amount of things around the house and am fairly handy however I'm not the these everyday. I'm leaning towards going the route of battery operated drill that you can use the batteries for the weed wacker and leaf blower as well however don't know much about them. Any input on brand, which way to go, etc would be greatly appreciated!

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
You’re best bet is Milwaukee. They have the best performance for both indoor and outdoor, but they are also the most expensive.

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
Milwaukee_Tool_logo.5759816db0cee.jpg

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Commercial usage I'd say Milwaukee no question.

Homeowner I'd probably save the money and go DeWalt.

Full disclosure: I have the 20V DeWalt drill, impact, jig saw, circular saw, light, sawzall, etc. Obviously not as powerful as my corded stuff but the convenience is unparalleled.

Last edited:

DeBruzzio

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
Fort Dodge native
Commercial usage I'd say Milwaukee no question.

Homeowner I'd probably save the money and go DeWalt.

Full disclosure: I have the 20V DeWalt drill, impact, jig saw, circular saw, light, sawzall, etc. Obviously not as powerful as my corded stuff but the convenience is unparalleled.
I have also gone the 20V DeWalt route, and also lucked into a 18V to 20V adaptor at a garage sale.

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
as all ready pointed out Milwaukee or Dewalt are your go too's. we use both at work. and have had no problems with either. I have the 20v Dewalt drill at home myself need to get one of their impacts. just bought the 6 gallon Dewalt pancake air compressor and 16 gauge nail gun for doing some work around the home. the battery powered nail guns were priced more then both the compressor and air gun combined.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
I’m a fan of my Makita stuff. No sense in spending twice as much on Milwaukee when batteries will change before either of them die. Makita has a large selection of tools on their platform. I don’t have any experience with their lawn tools but with everything else I have, I’ve been more than satisfied. I use them pretty frequently for a hobbiest doing renovation work and woodworking. I’m pretty sure everything on their platform runs on either one or two 18v batteries.

Also, if your going to be running lawn stuff, make sure you get the higher Ah batteries. They last waaaay longer.

Last edited:

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I’m a fan of my Makita stuff. No sense in spending twice as much on Milwaukee when batteries will change before either of them die. Makita has a large selection of tools on their platform. I don’t have any experience with their lawn tools but everything else I’ve had, I’ve been more than satisfied. I’m pretty sure everything on their platform runs on either one or two 18v batteries.

Also, if your going to be running lawn stuff, make sure you get the higher Ah batteries. They last waaaay longer.
I guess I always thought Makita and Milwaukee were priced pretty similar.

aforstate

Jan 23, 2010
I'd recommend Makita. I've been using their stuff every day for the past 15 years at work. I also have their battery operated blower, trimmer, and chainsaw for home. They have a giant selection and they seem to be sticking with the same battery design which keeps their stuff from becoming obsolete.

This blower is a great deal with the battery promotion.

https://www.acmetools.com/shop/tools/makita-xbu02pt1-cordless-brushless-18v-blower-kit

Those 4 5ah batteries and dual charger are probably more than you'd need to start to a new set of tools. At that point you could just get bare tools on sale or when the need arises to build a kit.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
I have a Milwaukee impact and driver drill. Couldn't be happier with them. I purchased the models that are one below their top line.

JaCyn

Mar 18, 2017
If you go dewalt, there are two grades. I think the better one is xps or something.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Hitachi commercial grade. Dropped it off a bin 50 foot up and still runs with no issue. Over 12 years old for drill and impact. If you have weak wrists, they will rip itself out of your hands on full torque.