What to look for in an Online MBA program?

packattack425

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 25, 2010
Des Moines
Starting to look into possibly getting a online MBA. It is kind of overwhelming when you don't really have a sense of what schools are out there. I feel like I am blindly searching the internet for schools that might work. Has anyone completed an online MBA? How did you decide on a school? I am looking to do everything online as night/weekend classes won't work with my schedule. Does one degree carry more weight than another or does it come off as a "check the box" thing if you do it online? I know accreditations are important, but do all AACSB school fall into the same category? Does it look bad if a school waives GRE/GMAT requirements? Also looking at using the GI Bill to cover the cost. Any advice would help.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Just finishing an MA program (not online) and the only advise I can give anyone is do a program that you're interested in and useful in some capacity.

Cardinal and Gold

Jul 23, 2016
Currently in my 2nd year of the MBA program at Colorado State doing it online. They have a really good program, but I do not think school ranking makes as much of a difference with graduate degrees as long as it is accredited. It can be done either in person or entirely online, and online classes are much better now than they used to be. Lectures are recorded so you can watch them on your time or live if you want. It depends on who you work for and what you do, but I would say a MBA degree is what many companies look for to get to a certain level with the company, but of course any graduate degree is positively looked upon and other degrees may be more useful depending on your job. Some companies put weight into it and others not as much. You can have a focus if you choose. I would recommend looking into CSU. After you get going it is hard but a lot less overwhelming once you have a routine down. I put about 10ish hours a week into it depending on classes.

Edit: Also, there are a few military students in every one of my classes with the Air Force being in the Springs and Cheyenne

Last edited:

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Good question. Is there any benefit to getting an MBA without a specific end-goal? It's not required for work but I feel it may help out looking for future jobs.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I thought your employer was supposed pay for MBAs, is the new thing pay for your own?

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Try to find someone you know who has benefited from the program in ways similar to what you want.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Accreditation

If it is an online program, I would look for accreditation by the Distance Education Accrediting Commission because they specialize in schools that do online programs. DEAC is recognized by the US Department of Education and the Council on Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA), the two agencies that "accredit" accreditors.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
FWIW - I've been a recruiter for 15 years. First, employers do put a premium on candidates who have a MBA. Secondly, I've never had one question the "quality" of an MBA program.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

GrappleCy

Aug 7, 2018
. Does one degree carry more weight than another or does it come off as a "check the box" thing if you do it online?

An online MBA is entirely a "check the box" thing. The only reason to do it is if you have to check that box but there aren't any realistic options otherwise.

iowa_wildcat

Jan 25, 2008
Ames
My son received an MBA online from Liberty University just before he left the Air Force two years ago. The Navy hired him as a computer geek 5 days after he left the Air Force. Two years later they made him the supervisor of a group of networkers.