Lumber in DSM

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
That place in Grimes that delivers any amount. Besler? Beisler? Something like that?

Beisser Lumber. I work for them up in Fort Dodge. They have oak, poplar, and maple. Maybe a bit of cherry. Also can source just about whatever you want from a wholesaler too. Go see them.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
Liberty Hardwoods and Moehl Millwork in Ankeny have been good. Back in the old days, Paxton Lumber was the place to go in Des Moines.

Reggiesavedmylife

Jan 25, 2019
Does anyone know a good spot to get dimensional surfaced hardwood boards in the Des Moines area outside of Menards? There are a ton of lumber companies in DSM but it’s tough to tell what they carry from their websites.
If you want a S4S (smooth 4 side) boards then maple, oak, & poplar in a 3/4” board is all you will find from any lumber yard. Hickory, alder, cherry, walnut, etc are usually sold as Straight line ripped on 1 edge and hit and miss planed. Most places sell this as random widths on various thicknesses from 15/16” thick to 1-15/16” thick. Woodsmith store would be your best bet as they would let you sort through to find the thickness, width, length, and grain appearance you want. Obviously this only works if you have the tools to turn the stock into the exact board sizes you need to work with.

cyinne

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2009
O-town, Iowa
Does anyone know a good spot to get dimensional surfaced hardwood boards in the Des Moines area outside of Menards? There are a ton of lumber companies in DSM but it’s tough to tell what they carry from their websites.
I know that you said Des Moines area but if anybody is ever looking in Western Iowa Dunham Hardwood just north of Dunlap has an awesome selection of pretty much any type of hardwood and exotic hardwoods. I have used them a bunch and have had great results with their stock.

ISU_Clone_28

Mar 27, 2006
Fort Dodge, IA
Came into the thread with high expectations and it has delivered.
giphy.gif

DJSteve

Apr 29, 2010
Ames
www.stevesmobilemusic.com
Fleet Farm in Ankeny has some rough cut hardwood boards (random width/length planed and ripped on one side), or at least did as of a couple years ago. Not sure about hickory but fairly sure they had at least oak, cherry, and walnut. Prices didn't seem too bad from what I remember.

If you have a relationship with a local lumberyard (not Menards) they may be able to special order stuff if you ask. I got a few sheets of 5x5 baltic birch ply through Munn Lumber in Ames once; only took a day or two to get and price was competitive with anywhere else.

I like Woodsmith a lot, also, though. You probably pay a bit of premium, but they have nice stuff and carry a wide variety of species/sizes.

southernfriedCY

Feb 11, 2009
If you want good selection and the ability to pick your own boards in DM, then Woodsmith. If you don't care to pick your own and want cheaper with the same wide selection, then Liberty Hardwoods in Ankeny. Believe it or not, mail order has become a thing lately. Bell Forest Products and Horizon Wood Products or both top notch in the MO catagory.