HughesNet Internet in the Des Moines Area?

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
I got a flyer that HughesNet is now in my area.

Anyone actually tried this?

How does it compare to Mediacom?

(The HughesNet website doesn't actually recognize my zip code, so that's not a good sign...)

• Useful
Reactions: 84 grad

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I got a phone call today from mediacom. They wanted to know how my internet and phone services were. I told them that internet and TV crashed all last night and we didn't have any and it happens during most storms. Mediacom guy got excited saying they could help with that and then asked who I had. I told him Mediacom. He said they could tell people about it and that was all he had and hung up.

Sparkplug

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Central Iowa
Had Hughesnet a few years ago. Couldn’t wait for the contract to expire to get rid of it. Now use Verizon hotspot. Saying it is better tells you how bad Hughesnet was

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Meh, Satellite internet is ok for us but it's really for people in the middle of nowhere with no choice. The download speeds are fine but the delay makes some things impossible (ie games). Streaming isn't too bad but you have data caps that would make most people under the age of 35 go insane.

josh4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 3, 2012
Ames, IA
Satililte internet should only be used as last resort. If you have any other option, choose that.

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored