Big 12 Preseason Poll

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
You missed the joke. Every year Bill Self - just like every other coach - can't vote for his own team so he has to choose another #1. Every year in a thread like this someone asks why the hell did someone pick anyone other than KU because Kansas only received 9 first place votes.

Except this year.

I'm curious in seasons when KU received 9 of 10 votes so it's obvious which team Self chose for 1st, and see how accurate his choice was at season's end. (Not "curious enough" to do the research myself :))

• Funny
Reactions: ImJustKCClone

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Poll looks about right. I still question Texas's coach. Looking forward to getting this whole thing rolling and seeing how it goes. Hopefully enough schools can cause Sneaker U to stumble and someone else can slide into 1st. Yes I hope that every yr.

• Agree
Reactions: cyfamily

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
I don't understand West Virginia given what they've lost in the backcourt. Do we simply believe that the officials in the Big 12 will let them foul away as usual?

• Agree
Reactions: bozclone

MWB76

Jul 16, 2018
south dakota
A couple of thoughts:

I agree with Marty, West Virginia's guards are a big question mark, to run pressvirginia you need good guard play. Bolden got into foul trouble last year while playing less than 50% of the time. They have a 6'7'' JUCO guard, a RS frosh, and two true frosh guards besides Bolden. The Big12 is guard heavy again this year...I think their guard play may be exposed, particularly on the road. We'll see

Texas has under performed their talent levels the last few years. Check out Frachilla's twitter feed on them, he thinks they will be much improved....so do I.

KState actualized last year, have to give Weber credit. Brown and Wade are all conference players. Sneed is talented. That said the rest of the crew is average. They'll have a bigger target on their back this year, no "sneaking up" on teams this year. I can see why they're picked second, I think they'll be fortunate to finish fourth this year.

• Disagree
Reactions: surly

MWB76

Jul 16, 2018
south dakota
A few more observations:

Kansas clearly has the talent, but a lot of new faces, will have to see how well they mesh. The recruiting scandal is a distraction and that is never good for a team. An omen?

T Tech will be down. They lost a lot of talent. Mooney is good, but too many new pieces, they'll finish in the middle.

TCU has the guards, but are questionable up front...a middle of the pack finish.

Baylor (10th) and OK State (9th) will bring up the rear behind the Sooners (8th). A big gap between this group and the rest of the league.

The Clones? Sky's the limit, pre-season injuries a concern. A 2nd to 4th place finish is my projection.

2nd through 7th is close, injuries and chemistry will be determinate.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
That's one of our highest ever. With the exception of last year we've been beating this by 5-3 spots every year.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron