Iowa State vs Alabama FB

DrClone

Jun 13, 2009
A lot of good players on that team. Still disappointed to lose that game.

Jar Lar

Sep 7, 2017
Ames
Not fun fact, Yelk attempted a school record 5 field goals in that game.

Unrelated, but if you like both Twitter polls and voting for ISU in said poll, look no further: .

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Not fun fact, Yelk attempted a school record 5 field goals in that game.

And missed 3 of those. (Or 2 if we assume that final attempt was good). Also had a punt blocked.

It was Yelk's un-finest hour.

Adding to frustration, ISU shouldn't have been in that position anyway. Had an upper hand much of the game, outgained Alabama in total offense, 456 to 269. First and goal late in first half, up 10-7, then settled for (missed) FG attempt.

• Agree
Reactions: The_Architect

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
You know what ISU bowl game replay I'd like to see (even though it was a loss)?

1972 Liberty Bowl

Several years before I became an ISU fan (I was only 8 when that game was played). Quick research tells me it wasn't nationally/regionally televised on any of the Big 3 networks. Does archival footage even exist?

Reactions: Go2Guy

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Adding to frustration, ISU shouldn't have been in that position anyway.

That final series of downs was nothing short of an epic disaster.

1-10-ALA 33 - clock stops at 1:29 to set chains; restarts, runs to 1:18, spike the ball?!? (with 2 timeouts left)
2-10-ALA 33 - Delay of game penalty (after the spike!)
2-15-ALA 38 - Pass to Banks, injury TO (1:04)
3-7-ALA 30 - Sideline route to Montgomery at the 11 just overthrown (0:50)
4-7-ALA 30 - FG unit can't get set up in time, Yelk has to call timeout
4-7-ALA 30 - FG wide right, Alabama takes over with 0:45 left
ISU burns last TO after Bama takes a knee on 1st down.

• Informative
Reactions: cyclones500

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com

Wow, that was (and still is) abysmal.

So, Haywood rushed 20 times for 135 yards, ISU had 2 timeouts, but we ran two passing plays? I realize ISU fans often knocked Mac for being too conservative with the play-calling, but that seemed like a situation to rush twice straight-ahead, wind the clock, keep ball in middle of the field, perhaps gain a few yards (probably more than actually were gained). Then kick.

Yikes.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006

1972 Liberty Bowl

Several years before I became an ISU fan (I was only 8 when that game was played). Quick research tells me it wasn't nationally/regionally televised on any of the Big 3 networks. Does archival footage even exist?

It was a national ABC broadcast, on a Monday night. The NFL regular-season ended on Dec. 17 (the last MNF game was Dec. 11), and the Liberty Bowl was the next night.

The first half is on YouTube, in multiple parts:
Part 1 (of 5):

There is about 6:00 worth of highlights in the 1972 season video on CyclonesTV.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
It was a national ABC broadcast, on a Monday night. The NFL regular-season ended on Dec. 17 (the last MNF game was Dec. 11), and the Liberty Bowl was the next night.

Part 1 (of 5):

Thanks! I suppose I could've searched for it myself, but I got lazy. :)

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Starting on part 1, I probably won't have time to watch all segments until another day.

Just watching the intro is intriguing, "from another time." Sponsors include Borkum Riff Tobacco, Noxzema and Brut. :)

And Chris Schenkel on PXP!!

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017

Part 1 (of 5):

The lines are tiny. This ISU team would destroy both.

Last edited:

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa

1972 Liberty Bowl

Several years before I became an ISU fan (I was only 8 when that game was played). Quick research tells me it wasn't nationally/regionally televised on any of the Big 3 networks. Does archival footage even exist?[/Watched in the Dodds house den on my 19th birthday. We were all ready to celebrate a win, but drank to forget. Legal age was 18 at the time, and I think there was more responsible drinking then now.

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO

1-10-ALA 33 - clock stops at 1:29 to set chains; restarts, runs to 1:18, spike the ball?!? (with 2 timeouts left)
2-10-ALA 33 - Delay of game penalty (after the spike!)
2-15-ALA 38 - Pass to Banks, injury TO (1:04)
3-7-ALA 30 - Sideline route to Montgomery at the 11 just overthrown (0:50)
4-7-ALA 30 - FG unit can't get set up in time, Yelk has to call timeout
4-7-ALA 30 - FG wide right, Alabama takes over with 0:45 left
ISU burns last TO after Bama takes a knee on 1st down.
Sounds like a classic example of McCarney's impeccable late game management.

• Agree
Reactions: JJ4ISU

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
This is freaking fascinating.

Talk about talent on offense:
George Amundson
Mike Strachan
Keith Krepfle
Ike Harris

Is GT in a 4-4-3 defense?

Classic Cy!

Uniforms are cool, except for the white pants.

I agree. Some interesting tidbits from the first two segments.

ISU had a distinct size advantage averaging 235 across the lines compared to Georgia Tech's 215.

Joe Namath was told by a super model to "let Nozema cream your face so the razor won't". This was a year before Farrah Fawcett starred with Joe in the same commercial.

Announcers not sure how well Iowa State would play with the rumors that Johnny Majors was likely going to take the Pitt job.

Announcers not sure how Georgia Tech would play since there was controversy surrounding their star quarterback. I did some Googling. He was the first black player to play for Georgia Tech. Asked for 4 tickets for his family to attend the Georgia game. Secretary refused due to NCAA rules so he stopped coming to practice in protest. Coach suspended him for the Georgia game and Liberty Bowl. Sat in a white limo during the Liberty bowl with Jesse Jackson just outside of the stadium. Black players on the team (must not have been many) were going to play in spite of threat of violence against them. Black players on the team wore black armbands so as to not take sides but "to recognize the problems for blacks around the world" according to Bud Wilkinson. No black starters for Georgia Tech. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddie_McAshan