Random Thoughts XI (Eleven Pipers Piping)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
Volleyball update -

so we get there and other team only had 4 people. Ok, maybe that's why there were a 12 seed in a 13 team field??? Still not sure how they beat the 5 last week but oh well.

Start playing. They do bump set spike. Ruh roh. And they could serve well. We did well on our side and getting the ball down, but they'd go on serving runs and keep it close. We took the first 22-20 and then were down 7-14 in the second. DH had an excellent serving run and we got it to 17-18. Then they went on another serving run and won 21-18.

Fifth set. We were keeping it close and at 11-11 I was up to serve. I'd been serving pretty ****** and felt bad about it. I turned it on at the right time. I got an ace followed by them pushing it back too far to me and I called it out - and it was by like 1 inch. Teammate is like "CG, you just want us to leave the court for you??" lol. Got to 14-11 and we lost my serve. I was much sad.

So then they started targeting our weakest person and she shanked two serves. We lost the next as well and suddenly it's 14-14. Ref is like oh yeah it's a hard cap at 15. Well ****, thanks for mentioning that sooner. So we go back and forth and DH was a beast covering pretty much the whole left side. Just back and forth with him, probably three times. They pushed it back to him again and I thought he had time to back up for it and at the last second I realized he didn't and was expecting me to cut over and we lost it :(

I felt so, so bad because I hadn't wanted to step in and risk running into him. He was mad for a second but then at home was like no, it was a bad shot for him and they had been targeting that other teammate and so it wasn't really my fault, just a bad spot.

But we are super duper curious how they went 1-5 in the first six games - only winning the last game of the season and getting swept more often than not. There are sets in there where they didn't crack double digits. Then in the playoffs they beat us and #5 2-1. DH said if they had 6 people they should have been intermediate. So we suspect either they had six to start and the other two sucked so they got rid of them or they have changed out some people over the season.

Maybe having the sub this week would have been enough but hard to say. We had a decent run and I'm glad I ended with serving well.
We played intermediate with 5 people the second session. Way easier than playing with 6

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Volleyball update -

so we get there and other team only had 4 people. Ok, maybe that's why there were a 12 seed in a 13 team field??? Still not sure how they beat the 5 last week but oh well.

Start playing. They do bump set spike. Ruh roh. And they could serve well. We did well on our side and getting the ball down, but they'd go on serving runs and keep it close. We took the first 22-20 and then were down 7-14 in the second. DH had an excellent serving run and we got it to 17-18. Then they went on another serving run and won 21-18.

Fifth set. We were keeping it close and at 11-11 I was up to serve. I'd been serving pretty ****** and felt bad about it. I turned it on at the right time. I got an ace followed by them pushing it back too far to me and I called it out - and it was by like 1 inch. Teammate is like "CG, you just want us to leave the court for you??" lol. Got to 14-11 and we lost my serve. I was much sad.

So then they started targeting our weakest person and she shanked two serves. We lost the next as well and suddenly it's 14-14. Ref is like oh yeah it's a hard cap at 15. Well ****, thanks for mentioning that sooner. So we go back and forth and DH was a beast covering pretty much the whole left side. Just back and forth with him, probably three times. They pushed it back to him again and I thought he had time to back up for it and at the last second I realized he didn't and was expecting me to cut over and we lost it :(

I felt so, so bad because I hadn't wanted to step in and risk running into him. He was mad for a second but then at home was like no, it was a bad shot for him and they had been targeting that other teammate and so it wasn't really my fault, just a bad spot.

But we are super duper curious how they went 1-5 in the first six games - only winning the last game of the season and getting swept more often than not. There are sets in there where they didn't crack double digits. Then in the playoffs they beat us and #5 2-1. DH said if they had 6 people they should have been intermediate. So we suspect either they had six to start and the other two sucked so they got rid of them or they have changed out some people over the season.

Maybe having the sub this week would have been enough but hard to say. We had a decent run and I'm glad I ended with serving well.

OK cg, I'm starting to get a feel for your sports stories. You're a good storyteller. I'm leaning toward a revision of my earlier rating. (And no, I'm not a brownnoser!)

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
OK cg, I'm starting to get a feel for your sports stories. You're a good storyteller. I'm leaning toward a revision of my earlier rating. (And no, I'm not a brownnoser!)

volleyball stories aren't even my good ones. Stuff happens so fast it's hard to remember. Kickball ones are pretty good and dodgeball can be entertaining, if I do say so myself. Twoballs last year will be hard to top.

oh and can I get signed proof on the good storyteller part? DH will rolls his eyes at that. He's heard too many of my work stories to believe such a thing.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Volleyball update -

That's weird to hard cap the final set.

Also, unless all 6 players are solid, I'd sooner play with 4 all day long.

I'm probably alone on this thinking too, but I miss the days before rally scoring. Having to earn a point with your service made you earn it defensively.

Reactions: Cybirdy

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I tried calling my parents the other night. They didn't pick up, and their answering machine didn't work either. They are both in their 80s and I had a mild freak out. I finally got a hold of them last night and it turns out they just had a phone outage.

Role reversal sucks.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
volleyball stories aren't even my good ones. Stuff happens so fast it's hard to remember. Kickball ones are pretty good and dodgeball can be entertaining, if I do say so myself. Twoballs last year will be hard to top.

oh and can I get signed proof on the good storyteller part? DH will rolls his eyes at that. He's heard too many of my work stories to believe such a thing.

I giggled when I read "Twoballs". Made me think of the old joke, "Why you ask, Twoballs?"

Cybirdy

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I had to get my 9th grade volleyball updates last night via text since I was home with a sick kid. It was a quadranglar and have played these teams multiple times already. Two of them we hadn't beat, 1 we can beat with our B players. He two harder games they took to 3 both times (only 2 of 3). On the 3rd of the first game daughter served 8pts in a row, were ahead 11-2 but ended up winning only 15-12 or something. Next game hubby makes it there and she immediately puts two in the net. But she had 2 kills which is good considering she is a 5'2" outside hitter. ;) She said they weren't really blocking her--I said because they don't expect her to hit.

They played at the old high school since JV was using 2 courts at the HS. Hubby said it was hotter than heck in there--the up ref had to step down and be relieved because he was about ready to pass out. Of course my dad the old farmer says, "its not so bad in here"

Not as fun as CG recaps, sorry.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I had to get my 9th grade volleyball updates last night via text since I was home with a sick kid. It was a quadranglar and have played these teams multiple times already. Two of them we hadn't beat, 1 we can beat with our B players. He two harder games they took to 3 both times (only 2 of 3). On the 3rd of the first game daughter served 8pts in a row, were ahead 11-2 but ended up winning only 15-12 or something. Next game hubby makes it there and she immediately puts two in the net. But she had 2 kills which is good considering she is a 5'2" outside hitter. ;) She said they weren't really blocking her--I said because they don't expect her to hit.

They played at the old high school since JV was using 2 courts at the HS. Hubby said it was hotter than heck in there--the up ref had to step down and be relieved because he was about ready to pass out. Of course my dad the old farmer says, "its not so bad in here"

Not as fun as CG recaps, sorry.

Daughter played well at the weekend tournament so they moved her up to JV, a girl quit who was moved down because of this. Only setter on freshmen team, so my daughter was moved back down to freshmen.

Cybirdy

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Daughter played well at the weekend tournament so they moved her up to JV, a girl quit who was moved down because of this. Only setter on freshmen team, so my daughter was moved back down to freshmen.

At this point I'm not sure they will move anyone except setters which they are short on in JV (the one thing daughter really hasn't done). Part of me wishes she would get moved up so she would play less--on nights where they play 3 teams she is left in all games unless they are way ahead. She is getting a little burned out, and the girls she plays with aren't exactly her favorite people. There was a 60+ message group text she woke up to debating what they should wear for school (varsity wants all the teams to dress up on home game days) and for uniforms (they have a choice of red or black--they just wore black last night and some didn't get them washed before today). She about removed herself from the group because some 9th grade girls were power tripping, "You have to wear a dress or a romper, no jeans" She was like wth, who wears rompers?! Obviously not her. She wore her jeans, what are they going to do? It isn't coming from the coach, she says jeans and a nice shirt are fine.

These are the same girls who are going to freak out next weekend when our freshman tournament runs into Homecoming time. These mom have hair appointments for them at 2:30 so they can be ready for pictures and dinner at 4 for an 8pm dance. Ours is like "why are you taking pictures at freaking 4pm for an 8pm dance?" Homecoming is waaaay overdone here.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
At this point I'm not sure they will move anyone except setters which they are short on in JV (the one thing daughter really hasn't done). Part of me wishes she would get moved up so she would play less--on nights where they play 3 teams she is left in all games unless they are way ahead. She is getting a little burned out, and the girls she plays with aren't exactly her favorite people. There was a 60+ message group text she woke up to debating what they should wear for school (varsity wants all the teams to dress up on home game days) and for uniforms (they have a choice of red or black--they just wore black last night and some didn't get them washed before today). She about removed herself from the group because some 9th grade girls were power tripping, "You have to wear a dress or a romper, no jeans" She was like wth, who wears rompers?! Obviously not her. She wore her jeans, what are they going to do? It isn't coming from the coach, she says jeans and a nice shirt are fine.

These are the same girls who are going to freak out next weekend when our freshman tournament runs into Homecoming time. These mom have hair appointments for them at 2:30 so they can be ready for pictures and dinner at 4 for an 8pm dance. Ours is like "why are you taking pictures at freaking 4pm for an 8pm dance?" Homecoming is waaaay overdone here.

Our daughter doesn't get too worked up over that stuff, homecoming pictures aren't taken to my knowledge. Hoping the son and his gf finally break up, she's not a good one for him. I don't have the thought that she's not good enough; she's just high drama, a partier (which my son has been to the statehouse to lobby to strengthen underage drinking laws), and bordering on crazy. He has several girls that I can tell like him (some very nice and attractive ones also) but they are kind of scared of this one. He's finally talking to me again so that is on my agenda to discuss with him, if I live through the moldy bread.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Volleyball update -

Pretty good update and DH being all respectful to you. He's a keeper.

Reactions: cowgirl836

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis

Kickball updates are the best. I don't think any of us knew there were any formal rules to kickball and we're dumbfounded by it.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
I just ate a piece of moldy bread, need to look next time.

I probably should google if I will now die.
Isn't that how penicillin was invented?

According to WebMD, not only will you die, but your soul will eternally be tormented as it floats aimlessly through the cosmos.

Yeah, you might wanna try google for a second opinion.
Not cancer? Maybe BC discovered the cure for cancer in that moldy bread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron