Playing 6 road games

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City
I'm also going to throw out that game attendance is going to be much higher for UNI, so we probably pull in much more revenue playing them than out-of-state opponents with no history or ties to our program.

The first game of the year will be a sellout anyways. I'd rather play Rhode Island or some other terrible FCS school and get a guaranteed win instead of UNI who comes into the game highly motivated

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Some of those schools benefit in money and recruiting, as well as exposure when they go to a bigger name school. ISU doesn't offer much, so the price becomes higher for ISU to pay G5 schools.

I really doubt this is the case. I'd be interested to see if you can back it up with examples.

I would guess the exact opposite. Travel distance/expenses being equal, a MAC school would rather play Iowa State than Alabama because they think they might actually win the game.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Big 12 realignment threw a wrench into several non-conference deals.

2-for-1 with Western Kentucky got axed.
Home/Home with Air Force got axed.
H/H with Navy got axed.
2/1 with Toledo got changed to a H/H.
Back end of Utah series (at Utah) got axed, mutually, due to Pac-12 expansion.

• Informative
Reactions: cynile and cyence

CORoadrunner

Aug 16, 2012
Never happened.

1979 (6/5) - Big 8 4H/3A; Non-conf 2H/2A
1980 (6/5) - Big 8 3H/4A; Non-conf 3H/1A
1981 (7/4) - Big 8 4H/3A; Non-conf 3H/1A (first home game vs Iowa)
1982 (5/6) - Big 8 3H/4A; Non-conf 2H/2A (at Iowa, at Tennessee)

Not with Donnie Duncan. It happened with Jim Criner, 1985. I attended all 8 of those games.

• Informative
Reactions: cyclones500

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I have a hard time believing this. Below are stats from last years ticket sales (i don't know if this includes concessions, but I would think concessions would cover the cost to host the game).

ISU Ticket Sales Rev. 2016
: 15,626,121
Rev. Per Game: 2.6 mil

If adding another game kept revenue the same (which I think would increase due to the game being at the beginning of the schedule when the weather is still nice for tailgating), then you are making decent money even if you pay out 1 mil to get someone to come to you. Not to mention, you typically get another W, which have been hard to come by lately.

Not to mention the community gets a bump when games are in Ames. All unrealized revenue if you play in Akron.

I think that one thing you don't take into account is that raising ticket prices usually leads to less customers. If tickets now are $400 and you raise them to $450 with another game, you are not going to end up with an equal per game increase. You're going to lose some buyers. Now whether that equates in the end to making money...that's something that I'm sure Pollard has studied.

Reactions: CyBobby

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Not with Donnie Duncan. It happened with Jim Criner, 1985. I attended all 8 of those games.

This is true. I doubted it at first, I hadn't remembered anything more than 7-home in 11-game era.

Iowa State historical scores (1985)
Home: Utah State, Vanderbilt, Iowa, Drake, Kansas, Colorado, Missouri, Oklahoma State
Away: Oklahoma, Nebraska, Kansas State

I attended every home game except for Drake … good choice to miss that one.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Never happened.

1979 (6/5) - Big 8 4H/3A; Non-conf 2H/2A
1980 (6/5) - Big 8 3H/4A; Non-conf 3H/1A
1981 (7/4) - Big 8 4H/3A; Non-conf 3H/1A (first home game vs Iowa)
1982 (5/6) - Big 8 3H/4A; Non-conf 2H/2A (at Iowa, at Tennessee)

Well now I stand corrected......but anybody that was around for the Duncan era, remembers how we lost games at home to both KU and KSU that we should have won........Hellsbells we took a ten point lead into the 2nd half at Lawrence and managed to lose that game and give Kansas one of their only conf wins of that year...typical Donnie Duncan......

Even Doc Cunningham told me that he would have liked to have known what good old Donnie told the team at halftime.....

Until ISU starts beating both KU and KSU this program will just be another sad sack 2nd tier big 12 program.....

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
This is true. I doubted it at first, I hadn't remembered anything more than 7-home in 11-game era.

Iowa State historical scores (1985)
Home: Utah State, Vanderbilt, Iowa, Drake, Kansas, Colorado, Missouri, Oklahoma State
Away: Oklahoma, Nebraska, Kansas State

I attended every home game except for Drake … good choice to miss that one.

Well now my old memory hasnt failed me completely...lol.....Good old Jim Criner who a great guy btw, but a lousy football hire for Iowa State imho.... the guy never fit the culture at Iowa State and his recruiting was not the greatest but...Criners offense was better or at least more fun to watch than most offenses back in those days......

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Glad you attended all 8 games and so did I...also saw every game in JTS starting with the Air Force game in '75....the only home games I missed was the Texas Aggie game and the Colorado blizzard game .....thru the Danny Mac years....

Also traveled to road games at Nebraska...Iowa...Mizzou (always a must and loved the rivalry)...Kansas ( Loved to drink in the bars in downtown Lawrence) ...KState (an empty stadium always awaited us until bill snyder arrived) ...Oklahoma (hated traveling down Lindsay Avenue after the game)....also went to a road game at TX Aggieland(sat on the 50 yard line with the mega rich aggie donors, quite impressive) while Rhoads was coaching.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
.Hellsbells we took a ten point lead into the 2nd half at Lawrence and managed to lose that game

It might've even been 10-point lead heading into 4th quarter. Seem to remember it was 17-7 after 3rd (lost 28-17) ... then KU ended up having to forfeit that win for using ineligible player (I think that's game it happened).

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I wonder how many total points Duncan's ISU teams scored in second half of games.

Duncan could've gotten at least one bowl bid in his 4 years just by avoiding some awful losses (KU and CU '80, KU and KSU '81 spring to mind ... getting W instead of T vs. OU in '81, too).

ISU was Colorado's only win in 1980
ISU was KSU's only I-A win in 1981

Last edited:

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
It might've even been 10-point lead heading into 4th quarter. Seem to remember it was 17-7 after 3rd (lost 28-17) ... then KU ended up having to forfeit that win for using ineligible player (I think that's game it happened).

Yeah the good old Cheatin' Jayhawks paid frank seuer, and kevin bell and another player from SoCal to join their football program......The good old Cheatin' Jayhawks had to forfeit every conf game that season.........

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
It looks to me that the Texas Aggie AD is a whole lot smarter than the ISU AD who makes our dreadful schedules most years.....

HellsBells Boys and Girls I can remember when the grate Donnie Duncan had 8 home games and only 3 road games and still could not win 6 games......Typical of our football coaches and our football program, got to do better than we have for the previous 4 years thats for sure......This is my 55 year of cyclone football and Im still hoping for a bowl game.
Athletic budgets
aTm- $192.6 million
iSu-$70 million

I could look like a scheduling genius if I worked for aTm as well.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Athletic budgets
aTm- $192.6 million
iSu-$70 million

I could look like a scheduling genius if I worked for aTm as well.

No kidding. 4 non-conference games, no intrastate rivalry, plenty of Sun Belt and FCS schools in the region, and enough extra cash available to buy nothing but home games if necessary.

14 SEC teams are playing a total of 9 true road non-conference games this fall (out of 56), and 2 of those are by Georgia (at Notre Dame, at Georgia Tech).

Meanwhile, the Big 12 has 10 true road games (out of 30).

Last edited:

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
No kidding. 4 non-conference games, no intrastate rivalry, plenty of Sun Belt and FCS schools in the region, and enough extra cash available to buy nothing but home games if necessary.

14 SEC teams are playing a total of 9 true road non-conference games this fall (out of 56), and 2 of those are by Georgia (at Notre Dame, at Georgia Tech).

Meanwhile, the Big 12 has 10 true road games (out of 30).
Don't forget the SEC also schedules a non con during weeks 10.11,12. So they have no competition for those games as no other conference does that. So they can grab Sunbelt teams that only have to travel a few hours.
I also acts like another midseason bye week for the SEC.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron