Iowa City Brewlab is for lease.

cc1091

Oct 10, 2007
Minneapolis
I thought the new brewery was actually going to be located inside Black Sheep.
Hard to tell with Cedar Rapids building officials, but it would be fairly difficult to install a brewery into the Black Sheep space while keeping the restaurant open. Also, keep in mint that the supporting beams and columns of that building are classified as heavy timber construction, which requires A LOT of extra care when it is to house an assembly space (which it currently does) and then to build a separated utility space next to it would require a huge expense.

To this day, I'm not certain how Iowa Brewing got away with having a production/storage area that is completely exposed (except for a 42" high wall) to the rather large 'tasting area' assembly space. In my reading that would require a 2 hour separation with fire dampers even WITH the sprinkler system (as I have been asked by building officials in other jurisdictions to make sure this separation is in place in 'break areas' next to office spaces where the occupancy load is calculated as 50 or more).

colin_jokeo

Jul 11, 2017
Iowa City, IA
IC Brewlab closed a few weeks ago. I'm not sure of the circumstances, but if they hadn't shown a profit, then why turn around and lease the location, equipment and tap room?

Info about leasing the space at 505 E. Washington in Iowa City as a turnkey brewery and tasting room is available at http://icbrewlab.com/.

Tried this place out twice and it was some of the worst beer I've ever had. Tried some IPA, seasonal pumpkin thing and an APA. Not sure if we got bad taps, glasses or the brewing wasn't consistent. Big Grove just built a large brewery in IC so maybe that impacted their business.

Apparently the son works at the same lab I do, but I haven't met him. Really want to ask about what happened.

Help Support Us

Become a patron