How long? How long?

kansaspointofknowreturninside.jpg

To the Point of Know Return.

• Funny
Reactions: cymac2408

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Sadly, if some wins don't start appearing even this season, people will probably be ready to move on.

I'm liking the approach. Hopefully a couple of weeks of rest can produce a fun game this Saturday.
Whoever feels this way has a ticket, on me, to go join the Black and Gold bandwagon. That is just idiotic if anyone truly feels strongly that way.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
One thing, well two things, are obvious to me thus far:

1. This staff actually knows how to coach. It's weird. I know.
2. We're talent deficient. **I should to this that Campbell and crew's ability to recruit has brought a significant bump in talent.

I think that all we've really wanted to see out of this season was improvement and some sort of inclining that the staff is competent. I think we can all agree that both of these are apparent.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I think at this point Campbell is 100% correct. This team needs to figure out how not to beat itself before it can worry about beating someone else. There is just not enough mental toughness or physical strength to get through these games yet. I like the team's chances at home this week. Been a long time since these guys have had a chance to play in front of a home crowd. I hope they are going to be fired up. I know the fans will be.

Last edited:
Reactions: ISUalways

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Whoever feels this way has a ticket, on me, to go join the Black and Gold bandwagon. That is just idiotic if anyone truly feels strongly that way.

In today's world of needing everything right now, it wouldn't shock me.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
In today's world of needing everything right now, it wouldn't shock me.
You're right. But that doesn't make it any less stupid. Now, if Steve Prohm would have come in last year with the team he was given and he went 7-11 in conference and missed the NCAA tourney, I would at least understand where something like that would come from. But the situation that CMC came into, with the talent he had, compared to the talent he has brought in, there should be no reason anyone wants to fire Campbell after this year, nobody. I don't care what anyone says, that isn't fair to CMC.

Last edited:

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
One thing, well two things, are obvious to me thus far:

1. This staff actually knows how to coach. It's weird. I know.
2. We're talent deficient. **I should to this that Campbell and crew's ability to recruit has brought a significant bump in talent.

I think that all we've really wanted to see out of this season was improvement and some sort of inclining that the staff is competent. I think we can all agree that both of these are apparent.

I'm not sure if I agree or disagree at this point but to play devils advocate, this team is the exact same thing as it was last year on Saturdays. UNI=Toledo, OSU=OSU, Baylor=KSU (Ok not quite the same letdown but a letdown) while we weren't competitive against Iowa and only somewhat against TCU.

Yes, the oline is bad but it's also been good enough to do whatever we wanted for 10/12 quarters in three straight games. I don't know that we can just determine this staff knows how to coach with the UNI, OSU, and Baylor games out there. We should have won those games just like we should have won more games last year.

This isn't a indictment of this staff. Most of them are young and will learn things and they do have to change attitudes, however, we can't just say that everything is just so much better now. There's certainly some coherency to the offense that wasn't there pre-Sturdy last year but the results have been exactly the same. I think some personnel and coaching mistakes were made by this staff that have hurt a little bit, but again, most of them are young and will learn. They can certainly recruit but you have to win games next year or people won't believe in your message.

• Agree
Reactions: BBHMagic

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
I'm not sure if I agree or disagree at this point but to play devils advocate, this team is the exact same thing as it was last year on Saturdays. UNI=Toledo, OSU=OSU, Baylor=KSU (Ok not quite the same letdown but a letdown) while we weren't competitive against Iowa and only somewhat against TCU.

Yes, the oline is bad but it's also been good enough to do whatever we wanted for 10/12 quarters in three straight games. I don't know that we can just determine this staff knows how to coach with the UNI, OSU, and Baylor games out there. We should have won those games just like we should have won more games last year.

This isn't a indictment of this staff. Most of them are young and will learn things and they do have to change attitudes, however, we can't just say that everything is just so much better now. There's certainly some coherency to the offense that wasn't there pre-Sturdy last year but the results have been exactly the same. I think some personnel and coaching mistakes were made by this staff that have hurt a little bit, but again, most of them are young and will learn. They can certainly recruit but you have to win games next year or people won't believe in your message.

I look at it from the perspective of these guys are in their first year and are essentially without an OL, LB's, and to a lesser extent, a DL. Those 3 position groups make or break a football team. We've seen significant improvement as the season progressed. Progression like we'd not seen before under Rhoads. He regressed.

There's a huge deficit of confidence within the locker room that Campbell has had to address on top of everything else. I think it's apparent these guys have a plan and are executing it. It's going to take time in order to change the culture here. Nothing we didn't already know.

Last edited:

safmusic

May 30, 2006
Be more worried if they start listening to all the sofa coaches who think they know more than they really do. Campbell and co came with a plan...just will take longer than we want, but maybe they knew all along how ugly it would be this year. So stay the course and keep recruiting.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I look at it from the perspective of these guys are in their first year and are essentially without an OL, LB's, and to a lesser extent, a DL. Those 3 position groups make or break a football team. We've seen significant improvement as the season progressed. Progression like we'd not seen before under Rhoads. He regressed.

There's a huge deficit of confidence within the locker room that Campbell has had to address on top of everything else. I think it's apparent these guys have a plan and are executing it. It's going to take time in order to change the culture here. Nothing we didn't already know.

I totally agree, especially on the OL and LBer point. I think a lot of fans forget that besides not being great at these positions last year, there best guys that had eligibility left are no longer on the team because the chose to leave or had career ending injuries. Well besides the only guy on the OL with any real experience, who got hurt before the season started. I think the DL actually has some talent, just not enough guys to rotate in.

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: CyBobby and CyBlitz

norcalcy

Oct 20, 2010

Sorry, there is absolutely no comparison between the effort against Baylor this year and the absolute abomindation and meltdown in Manhatten last year. Baylor had us out athleted at about every position and we hung around with them even though we had no business doing so. We're seeing competent coaching and game management this year. We've even shown flashes of looking like a Big XII offense. You can see what we are trying to do, but the execution just isn't there yet. A lot of it has to do with not having enough Jimmys and Joes to compete. Other than UNI and Iowa, I haven't been embarrased by our team's performance this year. From 2013 - 2015, there were a ton of embarrasing moments.

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: CyBlitz and Acylum

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
They can certainly recruit but you have to win games next year or people won't believe in your message.

This is something I will disagree with... Many of us understand the process that he has undertaken and there aren't any quick fixes - no hidden all americans on the roster that become stars. This staff has to take the gems from the existing CPR years and have them buy-in 110% or move them along in the process and bring in someone who HAS bought in. I'm seeing outstanding progress in just about everything they do and if you don't, it's because you're not looking for the good but tuned into the bad - the losses.

The wins HAVE to come in the coming years, but I am a firm believer of the program and his ability to HAVE a coherent program vision he can communicate vs. the last regime that never knew what they wanted to be.