Any Beekeepers here?

CyPlainsDrifter

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 19, 2006
It's a fascinating hobby (my wife has been doing bees for several years) but it will be the most expensive honey you have ever had!

Don't know if you are urban or country. If you are country, be sure to register your hives so that aerial applications in the area are carefully applied. http://www.iowaagriculture.gov/AgDiversification/apiary.asp

The Iowa Honey Producers Association is also a good resource. https://www.iowahoneyproducers.org/

Already did both of those. I know the honey is no money maker especially small scale. This is primarily for the pollination for my orchard and gardens, the honey is just a nice side benefit.

CyPlainsDrifter

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 19, 2006
So $300-$400 bucks? That seems pretty light for starting a small business/hobby

Everyone recommends starting with 2 hives and it takes about $1000 to get there, all in with bees up and running. That includes some stuff you only need to buy once (suit, hive tools, smoker, etc), so after that, each additional hive is around $200-250, plus the bees ($110 per hive). You only buy the bees once if you have some luck and skill. Even if you lose a hive or two over the winter, you can split the ones that do well to refill the lost colonies.

I have a good mentor and advances in mite control have gone a long way towards improving overwintering of hives. Pesticides are still a bit of a problem, but it is pretty much universally accepted now that mite issues have been one of the biggest challenges to bees.

CyPlainsDrifter

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 19, 2006
Well for those who might be interested. I did the first inspection on day 10 and the bees are doing great in the first two hives. Lots of eggs, larvae and some capped brood --- which indicates the queens were laying very quickly upon release. So far, so good!
For those with background in BKing, I am using medium boxes and foundationless frames. I started each box with two frames of drawn out foundation from my brother, and that really gave the bees a great jump start to allow the queen to start laying quickly. The rest of the frames go in blank and the bees do what comes naturally. In 10 days they have about 60-70% of the box filled with natural comb, so I'll be adding a second box next week.
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• 20160422_125358.jpg
    20160422_125358.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 111
  • 20160422_125159.jpg
    20160422_125159.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 112
  • 20160422_125511.jpg
    20160422_125511.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 108
Reactions: Cycho1

2020cy

Aug 7, 2006
Everyone recommends starting with 2 hives and it takes about $1000 to get there, all in with bees up and running. That includes some stuff you only need to buy once (suit, hive tools, smoker, etc), so after that, each additional hive is around $200-250, plus the bees ($110 per hive). You only buy the bees once if you have some luck and skill. Even if you lose a hive or two over the winter, you can split the ones that do well to refill the lost colonies.

I have a good mentor and advances in mite control have gone a long way towards improving overwintering of hives. Pesticides are still a bit of a problem, but it is pretty much universally accepted now that mite issues have been one of the biggest challenges to bees.
I was talking to a bee guy the other and said the same thing, having most of his loss from mites.

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
Best wishes and thanks for helping out with the intention of pollinating. Keep us informed and get some more pics!

Cycho1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 18, 2008
Barrington Hills, IL
Thread Bump!

Anyone getting ready for bee season? My new bee box just arrived today. Getting ready to purchase a queen and nuc soon.

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
New Beek here and have 2 packages going into the hives later today. I have prepared with attending a class, reading everything in sight, watching dozens (maybe hundreds) of videos, but still scared to death I'll screw this up and kill them or lose them. Doing this primarily for pollination and secondarily for honey production. Any other Cyclone Beeks out there??

attachment.php
Not a Beek, but that's awesome you are and a beautiful next-hive you built. Please keep us updated on the progress. Do you have flowering plants / trees nearby?

Cycho1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 18, 2008
Barrington Hills, IL
How are they shipped to your address, or do you have to personally transport ?

We'll probably pick ours up. But, either way they are transported in a small wood box w/ screening. The queen comes in an even smaller box w/ a screen. There's a sugar "cork" the bees will eat through to release her into the hive.
beenuc.jpg