Twister Sister Summary - Ladies down Fairfield Pop Returns!

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Before this game started I scanned the program and was mildly impressed that Fairfield brought a 5-2 record to this game. They had some decent victories along the way and the stats on their players made me think this could be an interesting game. For the first 10-14 minutes it was exactly that.

For the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] game in a row Pop warmed up with the team, but even that seemed to be limited. When I looked at our schedule I thought that Coach might just rest her for another 8 days until the UNI game. Seeming to confirm this was the starting lineup of Prins, Hal, Brynn, Kidd and Moody.

This was a game of two halves. The first half showcased the offense in spurts. Actually it showcased both offenses as Fairfield proved to be a feisty bunch. It was obvious the game plan was to feed the ball inside and take advantage of the huge difference in height between the teams. Unfortunately, Anna had difficulties finding her shot as she missed from nearly everywhere. The opportunities were there, but the end result wasn’t. Fortunately our team doesn’t revolve around one player. Several others, predominantly Hal and Brynn, stepped up and made key shots from all over the floor. Brynn was perfect at half time hitting 3 from behind the arc. Hal seemed to be on a mission as she twisted and turned around the basket to collect points. They spotted the Sisters to a 20-7 lead. And then the moment came. A cheer erupted from the crowd as Pop came onto the floor. I watched her closely to see how she would react to being back out there. What I saw was a little rust falling off and a mildly slow start. Fortunately the rust fell of rather quickly. She seemed a bit tired during her first stint on the floor and wasn’t moving with her normal quickness.

The defense wasn’t exactly anything to talk about in the first stanza. It wasn’t bad, but there were breakdowns as our young guards missed switches and Fairfield scored on several wideopen plays. They closed to within 19-28 before another spurt extended the lead to 38-24. Then the offense went silent and the half wound down to a 40-28 lead. Offensively the team hit nearly 50% from inside and outside the arc. We also had a solid lead in the rebound department. The game seemed to be in hand, but I was disappointed in the defensive breakdowns. I felt like we should be putting this team away and could if the pressure stepped it up. That was my Christmas wish for the second half. I wasn’t going to be disappointed.

The second half was the opposite of the first. Where offense reigned in the first, defense ruled the second. The Sisters put the clamps on and Fairfield struggled to gain any offensive traction. Over the first ten minutes they were held to 6 points while our ladies in red (white actually) slowly pulled away, leading 53-34. This trend would continue throughout the half as Coach Fennelly substituted liberally and we got to see the entire roster at one point or another. In the end, State would win 60-43. Yes, they held Fairfield to 15 second half points, but only scored 20 themselves. I hope they can find a way to put the two halves together for a complete game sometime soon. Why not UNI?

So what did we see happen this afternoon? Perhaps the best thing was seeing the team step on to the court and put together a solid performance after being beat up and performing at their worst at Iowa on Thursday. Coach stated that practices hadn’t been good after that loss. Fortunately the end result was a solid win over a decent team. The second best thing was seeing Pop on the floor.

Pop slowly, but surely came back into form. Coach wanted to play her approximately 20 minutes and she slightly exceeded that. She ended up looking her usual scrappy self and tallied 12 points and 9 boards in her limited minutes. Hopefully the next 8 days will help her progress even more and we’ll see more minutes against UNI. I was pleased to see that she wasn’t tentative on the court. She tried taking charges, scrapped underneath and rebounded with her usual authority. Welcome back Pop!

Most of the offensive performance highlights occurred in the first half. The two players that jumped out at you were Brynn who shot the three as a set shot or on the move. She was slick! Hal was the offensive star as she hit from inside and out. She was really working hard to get her 18 points. The ringleader of it all was Miss Moody. She was setting the pace and found her teammates to the tune of 10 assists and also pulled in 7 boards. She would have had many more, but the ladies missed several point blank shots.

I was slightly concerned that I hadn’t seen Emiah in the game. I even went so far as to ask an ISU acquaintance if she was sick or something. Then she came into the game in the second half. I’m not quite sure what’s happening with her, but for the second straight game she looked a bit lost. The gains made while Moody was out seem to have disappeared. It seemed her confidence might have taken a slight hit. I hope to see that change and soon. Why?

Coach talked in his post game that right now he feels he has 5 players and not much depth to back it up. That is worrisome. Early in the year I thought the depth was developing nicely, but the team seems to have hit a road bump recently. He hopes the cure is to get these ladies more court time in the coming 8 days of practice. I hope this is the case. We need Emiah, Fallon, and Kidd to be instant offense or defense for us.

I would be remiss if I didn’t mention the second straight outstanding job that Anna offered up on defense. Not only did she pull down 7 boards, she altered shots and really moved well. She frustrated her opponents. Nicely done.

Its obvious this team has the ingredients for greatness. Its just a matter of the grand master magician getting them to go together into the perfect formula. With but a few games left until the tough Big 12 starts, the magician is going to be working overtime.

Last edited:

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
A somewhat unrelated note...I took in both games today. I honestly thought there were nearly as many people in Hilton for the ladies as for the men. The student attendance for both games was horrid. Where are they?? As it was there were huge sections of Hilton empty.

If you wanted to see good team ball, our men's team isn't the answer. As in the Iowa game they spent too much time throwing up rushed 3 point shots (and mostly missing). The women's team was the epitome of team play with Moody leading the way.

beatiowa

Dec 21, 2008
Berkeley, CA
A somewhat unrelated note...I took in both games today. I honestly thought there were nearly as many people in Hilton for the ladies as for the men. The student attendance for both games was horrid. Where are they?? As it was there were huge sections of Hilton empty.

If you wanted to see good team ball, our men's team isn't the answer. As in the Iowa game they spent too much time throwing up rushed 3 point shots (and mostly missing). The women's team was the epitome of team play with Moody leading the way.

Studying for finals week that starts tomorrow maybe? :wink:

Appreciate the in-depth updates! Being in a different time zone makes games difficult to even catch online at times, and you cover so many of the little things that can't be seen by just reading box scores/stat lines. Thanks!

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
If you wanted to see good team ball, our men's team isn't the answer.
I disagree with this. While the men's team is still playing far under their potential, I think they are headed in the right direction. Cory Lucious only had 8 shots and 1 turnover with one steal in that game and played impressive defense. Obviously Nebraska Omaha isn't that great of a team, but the Cyclones had some great signs from that game, and I thought they did fairly well as a team while breaking down on defense a few times. I think Hoiberg will have them playing on the team and what I like about Hoiberg, he understands that people have bad days, but focuses on what they need to do as a team in the future and plans his playing rotation based on that.

The women's team has great potential and a fairly deep bench. No one should ever think any differently.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
I shouldn't have made the comparison. I stand by what I said, but this is and should be a discussion focused on the sisters. My apologies.

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
I probably shouldn't have talked about the guys also, but I am a big fan of both. No need to apologize, opinions are all they are anyway, and if we didn't at times disagree this would be a boring forum. I am disagreeing with many people over at the guys forum right now because I disagree with the general consensus. The general consensus may be right, we shall see.

I actually am thrilled by this bench. I just hope Fennelly figures out what he has and uses it. I also hope these girls know how good they are. I tend to lean toward the positive side, when someone has a bad day, I remember the good days.

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
I'm concerned about Emiah too. Right now, Bill said he needs her for a 7 player rotation, and possilbly Fallon/Z for a 8 player rotation, but that right now he is only comfortable with 6 players (starters plus Kidd). Surprisingly, he was very happy with Kidd after Iowa. She must be doing the little things right.

My thought on Emiah is it must be on some defensive stuff. He pulled her quick in the Iowa game, and I think it was for going under screens instead of over.

Anyone catch who the recruit was that Bill Fennelly was visiting with after the game?

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
A while back, you could tell Fennelly wasn't happy with Kidd's defense and was more happy with Emiah's. I think you need to play these folks and keep coaching them. We need them to give the starters a break. Emiah is especially handy because she can play the point and the shooting guard pretty well.

As for the recruit, don't know, wasn't there. I actually am posting to get over the hump and get off this rookie category. I have spent too long as a rookie.

CY9008

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2010
West Des Moines, IA
Wow the AP poll was harsh on the sisters after this week....dropped seven spots. to fourth out of the rankings.

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
Wow the AP poll was harsh on the sisters after this week....dropped seven spots. to fourth out of the rankings.

Losing ugly to Iowa hurts. But the bigger loss IMHO is we lost the chance to make Iowa irrelevant for recruits we're competing with them.

CRAZYGREG

Feb 29, 2008
Des Moines
Em had a NASTY game at Iowa. It seemed like everytime that she touched the ball on offense she turned it over. Coach put in in twice I think and on the very first possession that she got she threw it away. Coach gave her the short leash that night, probably because it was Iowa. Kidd shot the ball horribly BUT she was all hustle on defense. While it wasn't great D, you could tell that she was trying as hard as she could. She was diving on the floor for loose balls. She was actually displaying emotion on the court.

Hopefully Em can rebound in a good way from the Iowa game. I really like what I saw out of her the first part of the season. Again, I really blame the schedule for leaving us un-prepared for Iowa.

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
Em had a NASTY game at Iowa. It seemed like everytime that she touched the ball on offense she turned it over. Coach put in in twice I think and on the very first possession that she got she threw it away. Coach gave her the short leash that night, probably because it was Iowa. Kidd shot the ball horribly BUT she was all hustle on defense. While it wasn't great D, you could tell that she was trying as hard as she could. She was diving on the floor for loose balls. She was actually displaying emotion on the court.

Hopefully Em can rebound in a good way from the Iowa game. I really like what I saw out of her the first part of the season. Again, I really blame the schedule for leaving us un-prepared for Iowa.

That, an no Pop, and No Moody for 5 minutes(down 14-0). :)

Polarbears

Apr 10, 2009
A while back, you could tell Fennelly wasn't happy with Kidd's defense and was more happy with Emiah's. I think you need to play these folks and keep coaching them. We need them to give the starters a break. Emiah is especially handy because she can play the point and the shooting guard pretty well.

As for the recruit, don't know, wasn't there. I actually am posting to get over the hump and get off this rookie category. I have spent too long as a rookie.

BF said in the pre-game show that Kidd was starting because she was the only player with a positive in the plus/minus sheet at Iowa. He knows that first year players will struggle at times, I think he is using PT to try to get more out of them in practice (Em not playing in the first half, Fallon not playing in the second). He knows the bench will be of growing importance soon, so he is trying to get the improvement the team is going to need.
It'll be interesting to see how much we go big and how much we go small when Pop returns to the starting lineup. He obviously sees Hallie at the 3 as an advantage against other big teams. But who is going to claim that 7th spot...

cydney

Mar 14, 2011
I'm concerned about Emiah too. Right now, Bill said he needs her for a 7 player rotation, and possilbly Fallon/Z for a 8 player rotation, but that right now he is only comfortable with 6 players (starters plus Kidd). Surprisingly, he was very happy with Kidd after Iowa. She must be doing the little things right.

My thought on Emiah is it must be on some defensive stuff. He pulled her quick in the Iowa game, and I think it was for going under screens instead of over.

Anyone catch who the recruit was that Bill Fennelly was visiting with after the game?

The body language by Emiah and Fallon is not helping them either, at least from the fan viewpoint. If they are struggling, it must be frustrating, but why not put on their confident game face when the game begins. They have it; we've seen it. The big advantage that Kidd had at Iowa is her attitude. Even when she made a mistake, or things were going the wrong direction for the team, you got the impression that she believed she could play with the Iowa girls. In environments like that, that is half the battle.

As has been said, hopefully they get their confidence back. At least in games, Emiah's turnovers may be the issue. She seems to pick up her dribble, get stuck, get impatient, or maybe is like a quarterback not going through their options, becomes predictable, and passes into lots of defense. In any case, some patience with the offense and with her own game might help get results. She is really, really important to this team, and has the talent to be a big factor in the team's success. For her, it could also just be the wear and tear of a freshman's first semester, and needing a break to get things back on track.

CycloneBob

Aug 9, 2010
Ames
The body language by Emiah and Fallon is not helping them either, at least from the fan viewpoint. If they are struggling, it must be frustrating, but why not put on their confident game face when the game begins. They have it; we've seen it. The big advantage that Kidd had at Iowa is her attitude. Even when she made a mistake, or things were going the wrong direction for the team, you got the impression that she believed she could play with the Iowa girls. In environments like that, that is half the battle.

As has been said, hopefully they get their confidence back. At least in games, Emiah's turnovers may be the issue. She seems to pick up her dribble, get stuck, get impatient, or maybe is like a quarterback not going through their options, becomes predictable, and passes into lots of defense. In any case, some patience with the offense and with her own game might help get results. She is really, really important to this team, and has the talent to be a big factor in the team's success. For her, it could also just be the wear and tear of a freshman's first semester, and needing a break to get things back on track.

I didn't pay much attention to the bench until into the second half. I took a look and saw Emiah sitting/starring straight ahead without any emotion. I recall one of the players was subbed out and they usually slap a few hands as they find their seat on the bench. I'm sure I recall that Emiah didn't offer her hand. Personally, I don't have any time for lousy attitudes. On the flip side, take a look at Z. She's getting few minutes, appears to get some coaching words when she comes out, but she is always up beat, enthusiastic, and doesn't put on the frown. I can't be the only one seeing this.

Polarbears

Apr 10, 2009
I haven't seen any attitude problems at all. Everyone knows your first season will have its ups and its downs. Games where it looks like it'll be smooth sailing, then a storm hits the next game. The team owes Emiah a lot already for how she stepped in and was a real leader when Nikki was sick. She will come through, I'm sure she knows she can do it.

cydney

Mar 14, 2011
I haven't seen any attitude problems at all. Everyone knows your first season will have its ups and its downs. Games where it looks like it'll be smooth sailing, then a storm hits the next game. The team owes Emiah a lot already for how she stepped in and was a real leader when Nikki was sick. She will come through, I'm sure she knows she can do it.

I'm very high on Emiah, and any comments should not be taken as saying there are problems. My point is that a positive demeanor can go a long way to creating positive opportunities and positive playing time. It is an observable fact that on the bench and on the court Emiah's demeanor in recent games has not matched her start to the season when Nikki was out. In the past 3 games, there has been at least one time in each game when Emiah has passed to an interior player, resulting in a turnover, and it looked like she was frustrated with her teammate, when it probably was not a good enough pass.

It's all about growth for new players, and I agree, she will come through. But she and others also need to recognize the influence that their demeanor has on their own teammates as well as the opponents. There's almost nothing better as an opponent than to take credit for frustrating the other team.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron