Big 12 fourth best conference?

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
so you aren't interested in a mature conversation.

Right. I know how pointless it is to mention the matchup differential in the games, so I'll pretend to make this post about something else. like the big tens better tourney record? honestly, who cares? both conferences were pretty darn even. I'm more disappointed in the lack of Cinderellas this year.
Whatever you gotta tell yourself friendo44-41 and 86-76

HoopsTournament

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
www.hoopstournament.net
Right. I know how pointless it is to mention the matchup differential in the games, so I'll pretend to make this post about something else.

like the big tens better tourney record?

honestly, who cares? both conferences were pretty darn even. I'm more disappointed in the lack of Cinderellas this year.

Big Ten Tourney Record = 11-6
Big 12 Tourney Record = 10-5

I will let you do the math, but if you think that Big Ten has a better tourney record, then you need to get a new calculator.

Only the SEC has a better winning percentage than the Big 12 in this year's tournament.

Last edited:

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I don't know what can really be said other than that the tops of all the power conferences (minus the Pac-12) are even, and nobody cares about the middle and bottom of the conferences.

D

DistrictCyclone

Big 12 > Big Ten. Michigan State and Ohio State are legit, but the middle of that conference had over-inflated rankings all season because they won some big games early. Indiana had a 2-5 stretch that included losses to Minnesota and Nebraska, and somehow managed to stay ranked. Michigan looked mediocre all year but always seemed to pull out a big (but close) win whenever people started doubting them. Purdue's record against good teams was abysmal. Wisconsin just plain sucks; if you can't beat Iowa, you don't deserve a ranking. And the bottom half of the Big Ten? Absolute garbage.

The tournament exposed all of this; all of the middling Big Ten teams but one had been weeded out by the end of the Sweet 16. The Big 12 still had two standing, and should have had one more if Missery hadn't been too busy crying about not getting a #1 seed to draw up a game plan for Norfolk State.

The top teams in the Big 12 > the top teams in the Big Ten.
The middle teams in the Big 12 = the middle teams in the Big Ten.
The bottom teams in the Big 12 = the bottom teams in the Big Ten.
The Big 12 overall > the Big Ten overall.

D

DistrictCyclone

I don't know what can really be said other than that the tops of all the power conferences (minus the Pac-12) are even, and nobody cares about the middle and bottom of the conferences.

Disagree. The middle of the power conferences are about equal, as are the bottom. What separates the wheat from the chaff is how good the teams at the top are...and that's where the Big 12 shines. KU, Missery, and Baylor were all in the top ten simultaneously for the overwhelming majority of the year. No other conference had 3 teams consistently ranked that high.

rjhindm

Mar 31, 2012
Our last remaining team beat their last remaining team.

We beat our last remaining team during the regular season.

Dang good season for us.

I can't and wont argue against this.

Big 12 has been under appriciated all year (yes I am a Iowa fan), and the Big Ten has been blow up a little to much. Over all I have enjoyed this season, by both the big ten and big 12.

That said....Regardless who won today...I had Kentucky winning it all...

michaelrr1

Mar 30, 2006
WDM
Visit site
Big Ten Tourney Record = 11-6
Big 12 Tourney Record = 10-5

I will let you do the math, but if you think that Big Ten has a better tourney record, then you need to get a new calculator.

Only the SEC has a better winning percentage than the Big 12 in this year's tournament.

If Kansas loses Monday night, does that mean the Big Ten is better than the Big 12 after the percentage changes?

MIClone

Aug 31, 2011
Central Michigan
They hype all season about the Big 10 was B.S. and we all knew it. They were a good conference this year, but nowhere near as good as the media portrayed them. Was the Big 12 better? I don't know, but there is no way that the Big 12 was worse!

MIClone

Aug 31, 2011
Central Michigan
BTW, if the B12 had gotten the kind of hype that the B10 got this year, ISU would have had a four seed and would have gone very deep into this tournament!

agcy68

Feb 9, 2007
Iowa
Per Sagarin, The Big 10 and Big 12 are pretty close:
CONFERENCE CENTRAL MEAN SIMPLE AVERAGE TEAMS WIN50%

1 BIG TEN = 84.08 84.22 ( 1) 12 84.19 ( 1)
2 BIG 12 = 83.28 82.88 ( 2) 10 83.05 ( 2)
3 BIG EAST = 82.12 82.19 ( 3) 16 82.17 ( 3)
4 SOUTHEASTERN = 80.39 81.24 ( 4) 12 80.98 ( 4)
5 ATLANTIC COAST = 80.20 79.94 ( 5) 12 80.01 ( 5)

USATODAY.com

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
The Big 10 was good this year. The difference is when the Big 10 is good, the media amplifies everything Big 10. The Big 12 has had very powerful bb seasons in the past and never got the same kind of media attention and favorable tournament seeding.