Friday OT #1 - Work It, Let Me Work It

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Today's OT #1 is brought to you courtesy of @VeloClone and @jcyclonee (thanks, guys!). It's two parts:

VeloClone: What artist's music do you like, but you can't stand watching them perform?

jcyclonee: Or, how about artists you like to watch perform but can't stand listening to?

This one doesn't need much introduction - who ya got?

Reactions: jcyclonee

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I thought Plain White T's was so awesome in concert I bought their CD on the spot having never heard them before. Later on, I didn't hate them but they didn't really stand out to me when I'd hear them on the radio.

Cyowan008

Feb 27, 2014
Ankeny, IA
Not anyone in specific but the djs now at Ultra or a festival like that I could never watch in person. I will listen to a small number of those songs but I do not need to watch somebody jump around and press buttons on a board (yes I know there's more to it but still).

Can't really think of anyone who I would see perform and not listen to because generally, (unless I've never heard them before) I'm paying money to see them live so I better like them.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Cyndi Lauper.

I liked a lot of her music, but she was just a bit too "out there" in stage presence for me during her era of popularity.

I was much more conservative then. :D

Reactions: cyclones500

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I loved STP, but I had a hard time watching Scott Weiland do his weird gyrating dance onstage and over-using the megaphone.

Also, we saw Chevelle many years ago as one of the opening acts during a festival. I don't think they moved at all while on stage. And they were nestled in between some really active bands, which magnified how straight-up boring they were to watch.

CycloneSarah

Aug 9, 2016
Saw Breaking Benjamin about a year ago and the lead singer was dropping the F bomb at least once per every sentence he spoke. They all sounded so fake and forced that it made the whole experience very cringey.

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
I love many Guns N Roses songs, however I haven't and would never see them in concert. They were too unpredictable if they'd have a show or starting on time.

I hate Pink Floyd, however I wouldn't mind seeing one of their shows since I heard they're good.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Thought skid row was fine on The radio. Just horrid when I saw them open for someone. Kiss without the makeup left plenty to be desired also. Saw lover boy when Reno got to 490 lbs, made me ill watching him shake it for college chicks.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
David Gray. I like his music but on stage his looks and tics make him look like an epileptic muppet.

Oh, and Bob Dylan. He is absolutely dreadful live.

Reactions: Doc

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
far and way, the most uncomfortable thing is to watch Chaka Khan dance/gyrate when she sings. For an incredible singer, she has absolutely no body rhythm.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Not sure if this counts. I love the music of Bob Dylan, but when I saw him live it was awful. Just awful. Like embarrassingly bad.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Saw Breaking Benjamin about a year ago and the lead singer was dropping the F bomb at least once per every sentence he spoke. They all sounded so fake and forced that it made the whole experience very cringey.
I was listening to Octane on Sirius XM and they were playing a performance of "As Lions" which is fronted by Bruce Dickinson's son Austin and he was the exact same way.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I love listening to Wilco and also seeing them live, but I hate how going to their shows makes me deal with the reality that I am just one of millions of middle aged white males with dumb glasses.

• Funny
Reactions: Angie and jbindm

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008
Not sure if this counts. I love the music of Bob Dylan, but when I saw him live it was awful. Just awful. Like embarrassingly bad.
Bob Dylan is dreadful to listen to on his albums. He never could carry a tune. He is an amazing song writer and musician, but that guy is one of the worst singers of all time.

• Agree
Reactions: ImJustKCClone

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Bob Dylan is dreadful to listen to on his albums. He never could carry a tune. He is an amazing song writer and musician, but that guy is one of the worst singers of all time.

Yeah, I agree that he doesn't have a great voice. I don't think anyone would ever argue that. But you can still listen to a song or LP and appreciate his songwriting skill. Have you ever seen him live? As Janny said, it's embarrassingly bad. Like you're not even disappointed; you just feel bad for the guy. When I saw him, he played a 45 minute set and I barely recognized exactly one song. Now I'm no superfan and it's possible that maybe he was just playing something off a more recent album, but whatever he was grunting/growling into the mic was completely unintelligible.