Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I agree that it doesn't feel the correct time to add basketball schools with the Pac and ACC in flux. Yormark has had free reign to do as he sees fit so far. But for this, Presidents have to jump in to say no.

Yormark is a marketing guy. Hope he doesn't get impatient and bail after a few years.
The dude changes jobs quite often. I have a hard time seeing him here 10 years or so.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
It isn’t that conferences are going to figure out a way to vote them out of conferences. It’s that you’d have the top number of each league it takes to dissolve each league get together, dissolve the conferences and start over but cut the dead weight.
As stated by others it's a vicious cycle which 'requires' the other end of the scale (ie losing teams accepting their status quo). Let's face it, 2 super conferences, imo, don't have enough product to sustain the most profitable portion of the season (ie CFP). Just like they need losers 'within' their conference, they also need other conference 'champions' to also lose to them in the CFP. While I'd argue the B12 has the most entertaining 'season' because all teams are more closely competitive, the SEC probably has the best balance to retain their perception as the 'best' conference. The B1G is too lopsided at this juncture. Maybe USC might give it more balance, but I still think the top is too heavy.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
As stated by others it's a vicious cycle which 'requires' the other end of the scale (ie losing teams accepting their status quo). Let's face it, 2 super conferences, imo, don't have enough product to sustain the most profitable portion of the season (ie CFP). Just like they need losers 'within' their conference, they also need other conference 'champions' to also lose to them in the CFP. While I'd argue the B12 has the most entertaining 'season' because all teams are more closely competitive, the SEC probably has the best balance to retain their perception as the 'best' conference. The B1G is too lopsided at this juncture. Maybe USC might give it more balance, but I still think the top is too heavy.
The difference is you can keep the status quo and the cannon fodder, but those bottom feeders are making the same money. So the Big boys are subsidizing them and leaving money on the table.

Or, you can replace the bottom feeders with better brands and accept that some teams are going to lose more often, but with those bigger names the league is worth more, and everybody makes more money.

Either way, the current model of subsidizing the lesser brands to get full payout is costing the OSU, Michigans, PSU, Alabama and Georgias of the world millions.

PickSix

Aug 25, 2013

This further confirms that ESPN is out as a big spender for the PAC. If they aren’t paying up for more SEC due to budget constraints, they probably won’t have money for the PAC either.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Insert PAC-12 fans saying: “InSErT 12 AnOn FaNS.”

"Colorado is performing due diligence"

Any AD in the P12 not doing that should be fired. I would guess there have been communications between the B12 and every P12 school on this topic, just "what's you interest" from both sides. Except maybe Cal (too apathetic to care) and Stanford (too rich to care).

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006

Any AD in the P12 not doing that should be fired. I would guess there have been communications between the B12 and every P12 school on this topic, just "what's you interest" from both sides. Except maybe Cal (too apathetic to care) and Stanford (too rich to care).

Cal couldn't pass the drug test to join.

• Dumb
  • Haha
Reactions: Gorm and keepngoal

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL

I still say that Utah got zero consideration. The only reason I say this is that they have been the most vocal on bashing the Big 12 and saying they would never join. I get the "We stand together as the PAC 12" talk, but they actively trashed the Big 12 during all of this. Seems odd to burn that bridge, unless you have no other option.

• Agree
Reactions: HouClone and Acylum

MugNight

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 27, 2021
I still say that Utah got zero consideration. The only reason I say this is that they have been the most vocal on bashing the Big 12 and saying they would never join. I get the "We stand together as the PAC 12" talk, but they actively trashed the Big 12 during all of this. Seems odd to burn that bridge, unless you have no other option.
They have an obsession with the PAC since they’ve *almost* won two Rose Bowls the past few years.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
This just seems like the same kind of reports that come out monthly.

I’ll believe it when CU announces it
The CU AD said something (in response to the rumor) to the effect of "we're happy in the PAC 12, but at the end of the day, we need to do what's best for our program". That's more than smoke. That's fire.