If Iowa State was known as [position] U, what would you choose?

1238576073jb

Jul 4, 2021
With the draft approaching, I was just wondering, if Iowa State was known as [position] U, what position would you want it to be?

For me, I would choose O-Line (just barely ahead of D-Line)

I think if you're doing things right up front, everything else becomes a lot easier & O-lineman are so valuable in the NFL

There is nothing cooler in sports than the image of five BIG, talented O-lineman striding up to the LOS to take their positions knowing that they are about to impose their will on the other team's defense

Reactions: nrg4isu

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Offensive Line

And it isn't even close.

A good offensive line...

-- keeps QBs upright with time to survey the field
-- gives WRs time to run routes and come open
-- holes for RBs to hit
-- dependably convert on 3rd- or 4th-and-short or goal-line situations
-- control the clock to...
-- (1.) wear down the clock by running the ball with a lead
-- (2.) keeps the defense off the field... even a great defense can get gassed from too much time on the field without breaks and offenses tend to figure defenses out the more plays they run
-- better protection for punters/kickers helps avoid awkward/disastrous situations on special teams

No other position group makes everything else better like that.

I'd agree having an elite QB is the name of the game in the NFL -- but college football is different.

Last edited:

frackincygy

Jul 13, 2015
Interesting o-line is a single position.

Under these conditions I'd say DB U and have 1/3 of the defense in-order. À la the Legion of Boom back in the day

Reactions: cyclonehomer

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
What have we been? Running back or linebacker U.

What would I like us to be? Offensive line U. Great offensive lines improve the defensive line and can get an average quarterback a chance in the league.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Offensive Line

And it isn't even close.

A good offensive line...

-- holes for RBs to hit
-- dependably convert on 3rd- or 4th-and-short or goal line situations
-- (2.) keeps the defense off the field... even a great defense can get gassed if they have to spent too much time on the field without breaks and an offense can run enough plays against them to figure them out
-- better protection for punters/kickers helps avoid awkward/disastrous situations on special teams

I'd agree having an elite QB is the name of the game in the NFL -- but college football is different.
10000% THIS. As our friends out east have shown having an excellent line with a couple of elite lineman in there can make up for a lot of deficiencies elsewhere.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
O and D line U.

Elite trenches makes everything else easier and is better for more consistent success.

Maybe helps recruiting to get other dudes into the spots outside of that since they can excel.

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
so is it close?

QB and it’s not close.

Offensive Line

And it isn't even close.

A good offensive line...

-- holes for RBs to hit
-- (2.) keeps the defense off the field... even a great defense can get gassed from too much time on the field without breaks and offenses tend to figure defenses out the more plays they run

Reactions: MeanDean

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
Offensive Line

And it isn't even close.

A good offensive line...

-- holes for RBs to hit

A very good argument. I'm still on team QB but this made me think a little

CyHans

Apr 28, 2010
Is the question what we have been known for or what do we want to be known for? If it's want then I'd say OL but if you look at what is in the NFL from ISU I wouldn't necessarily say it's QB or OL. Brock has really exceeded expectations but other than that we have Seneca who has probably been the most successful and Rosenfels. Prior to that you have to go back to like David Archer or George Amundson which are probably before a lot of people on here were born. OL, we've a few guys but nothing compare to Uof I. RB has been good recently with Hall and Montgomery. DL has had a few guys. But I'd say LB has probably been our best position. So I guess in my humble (and sometimes wrong) opinion my vote is LB U.

Reactions: Cyclones8824

ghyland7

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2012
it’s true that great oline and dline play are what make consistent and good winners. See, e.g., Wisconsin, Iowa, etc.

But elite quarterback play is what makes the biggest difference. See RGIII/Baylor. Look at Wisconsin with/without Russell Wilson. CJ beathard was a good to great college QB, but look what Iowa has done without him.

Elite QB play makes average lines look better. Poor QB play makes average lines look worse.