Matt Campbell postgame quote

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
I certainly did not say Matt is on the hot seat. I said ‘stalled’. And it is not after 2 bad games, it has after a very disappointing season last yr (this is well acknowledged), the makings of a disappointing season this yr and 3 of 4 being **** seasons according to CMC himself. (Don’t forget 2019 ended with a bad loss to KSU, terrible game against Drake, and an asskicking by ND).

The key is what he does to jump start things again. Maybe things like a Special Teams permanent coach, new OL coach, an outside offensive consultant to evaluate the playbook, etc. Calling out the fan base is not a good start. I want him to exceed as much as anyone, but in order for that to happen he will have to admit there are issues (record in one score games and last couple seasons should be a pretty clear picture).

Stalled? That is Chizik and Rhoads getting 3 wins each year. Elation was becoming bowl eligible once a decade. Maybe

isufanz1

Apr 11, 2006
WDM
Stalled? That is Chizik and Rhoads getting 3 wins each year. Elation was becoming bowl eligible once a decade. Maybe
The Chiz never even got the car started, and Rhoads was clearly in decline from mediocre for a couple of seasons.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I certainly did not say Matt is on the hot seat. I said ‘stalled’. And it is not after 2 bad games, it has after a very disappointing season last yr (this is well acknowledged), the makings of a disappointing season this yr and 3 of 4 being **** seasons according to CMC himself. (Don’t forget 2019 ended with a bad loss to KSU, terrible game against Drake, and an asskicking by ND).

The key is what he does to jump start things again. Maybe things like a Special Teams permanent coach, new OL coach, an outside offensive consultant to evaluate the playbook, etc. Calling out the fan base is not a good start. I want him to exceed as much as anyone, but in order for that to happen he will have to admit there are issues (record in one score games and last couple seasons should be a pretty clear picture).
I guess I just didn’t realize that people were so disappointed with the last few years.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
I think people are really underestimating the effect COVID had on our opposition. Yes, KState and WVU had COVID issues, resulting in easy wins for us. COVID provided for a very "weird" college football season, which included Indiana having a better record than they should.

And, keep in mind, the one game we had COVID issues, we lost to a G5 ULL team in Week 1. So yes, COVID was a major factor that year. (and I've heard many people use COVID as an excuse as to why we lost that game.... so if COVID can be an excuse when we lose games, it should also be used as to why we won games too. Can't have it both ways.)

Do you ever comment anything positive?

Reactions: simply1 and CyGuy5

cyclone93

Feb 13, 2008
I'd say the odds are very high that it's stalled or declining.
I have to say, an Iowa State football program that "stalls" at having a winning season with a bowl appearance 80% of the time, has a winning conference record over half of the time, and that has a legitimate chance to compete for a conference title 30-40% of the time, is in a pretty good place, all things considered.

I think that CMC and his staff have been one of the most successful recruiting staffs ISU has ever had (I would even say they are clearly the most successful). That success has moved our recruiting classes from 8th or 9th in the Big 12 on an annual basis up to 4th, 5th or 6th. This is good improvement, and I think it's very unfair to think that this type of recruiting performance should be expected as the norm if we were to replace the coaching staff. Even so, though, recruiting at this level does not really suggest that we should be 9-3 on a regular basis. There will be a few mediocre years where things don't quite pan out as hoped, and a few really good years where things come together great.

With respect to the real issue at hand, the poor offensive performance, what I see is a shortage of speedy playmakers (thank goodness for X and how dependable he has been), combined with an offensive line that is pretty decent at pass protection but just not strong at moving the line of scrimmage in the run game, combined with two consecutive games of trotting out our 3rd and 4th string running backs due to injuries to our top two guys. Not sure how many "elite" OC's would be flourishing in that scenario...certainly I agree that we could and should look a little better than we have, but not by leaps and bounds. And if X holds onto one pass in each game that he normally does (KU in the endzone, KSU on 4th down), we might be 2-1 in the Big 12 and counting our lucky stars that we survived our mediocre play.

So, I am not panicking. I don't think CMC is panicking. I think he is, to a fault, defensive of his players and assistant coaches, and speaks only positively of them all in public -- I consider that a wonderful quality that he has. I don't know what he is like with them all in private, but I'm guessing that he is more direct and demanding in that context...that's the kind of leader I really like and respect. Bottom line for me -- give me as many years with CMC as we can get, while he's human and not perfect, I think he's the best we've ever had, at least in my lifetime (1993 ISU grad).

• Winner
Reactions: Stormin and surly

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I give him full credit for 2020 because that year was harder than heck in about a million ways.

Look at the title of this thread. Campbell said something bone headed at exactly the wrong time. It's okay to say so. It probably won't happen again. If it continues, it may signal a problem.

They absolutely get credit for taking advantage of the opportunities presented to them by that weird season.

However, if you're looking to analyze the overall progress of the program, taking that year at face value will lead to you overvaluing where ISU was at that point in time.

• Agree
Reactions: surly

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
lol alarson getting triggered and going hard on the dumbs, settle down my boy.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Lol "just missed a few field goals"

He was clearly rattled. That's normal for that position. The last FG was a straight-up shank. That's what rattled does to you.
So the next time Rory McIlroy or Scottie Scheffler duck hooks a tee shot, the conclusion is they are rattled?

Nope, their timing is off or they slightly mishit the clubface. Even NFL kickers shank FG's. Doubt they are rattled.

superiorcyclone

Dec 12, 2013
Hooooooooooooooooooo boy

CMC is protective of his players. Unfortunately it seems as social media is full of the negative fans, maybe 5% of fanbases, but 30% of posts. Saying that CMC is deflecting or attempting to divert attention is just nonsense. Politicians may work in that fashion but not CMC.

• Disagree
Reactions: Lineup

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
I guess I just didn’t realize that people were so disappointed with the last few years.
Seems like a lot of people look for reasons to be miserable. Especially those who chime in to tell us the Fiesta Bowl win doesn't really count because COVID.

There is no doubt in my mind, ISU could go undefeated next year, make the National Championship game, win by one point over Alabama/Georgia/tOSU and we'd still have people on here saying the game was too close and we need to clean up our game.

LAClone

Apr 26, 2010
I don’t know how anyone could have sat through every game this season and not come out the other side feeling miserable. Are our expectations that low?

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
Every team in the country had to deal with covid. We handled it better than others; downplaying that year is a lazy argument. Go tell Alabama fans their championship that year doesn't count.

There are clear and frustrating issues with our team, but I don't understand knocking that year by our own fans.

Last edited:

LtRaczack

Dec 23, 2010
Columbus, GA
Seems like a lot of people look for reasons to be miserable. Especially those who chime in to tell us the Fiesta Bowl win doesn't really count because COVID.

There is no doubt in my mind, ISU could go undefeated next year, make the National Championship game, win by one point over Alabama/Georgia/tOSU and we'd still have people on here saying the game was too close and we need to clean up our game.
We would all be thrilled. Perhaps continuing to do the same thing over and over again will eventually produce such a result? Everyone should just be patient, supportive and think positive thoughts.

trevn

LIV Tour DJ
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa
How I visualize this thread

L2dpcGh5LmdpZg.gif

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
We would all be thrilled. Perhaps continuing to do the same thing over and over again will eventually produce such a result? Everyone should just be patient, supportive and think positive thoughts.
What's the alternative, impatient, unsupportive and think negative thoughts?

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Some people want to always be miserable. Let em be. Being extremely optimistic is bad but I’d take that over the other.

Fact of the matter is we’ve played extremely poorly on offense for 2.5 straight games against 3 good opponents. Our coaching has been suspect as well. With all that, we probably should’ve won 2 of the 3 games.

You can either think it’ll be more of the same or you can think change will happen and success will come with it. Are we going to win the rest of our games? No. Will we lose the rest? No. If we’re bowl eligible after losing the talent we did, I’ll be happy. Then we can all ***** at each other about how we could’ve played in a better bowl game.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown

Campbell has generated enough goodwill to dismiss his comment as something born out of frustration.

Of course he's going to want to defend his player. These are his guys. He really seems to genuinely care about them.

Mistakes were made. He'll self-correct.

Reactions: JimmyChitwood

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron