Iowa State Uniform Discussions

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Are mens BB getting new uni's this year?

I noticed they have new practice jerseys

Evidently those are on a five-year cycle, so yes.

Year 1 = rebuilding
Year 2 = Shayok year
Year 3 = Haliburton's last half-season
Year 4 = we don't talk about it
Year 5 = Brockington year

So time for new ones, I think.

Reactions: CoachHines3

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Remember that episode of South Park when they made fun of Iowa for always being 5-10 years behind the culture times to the point you could almost consider the state a time capsule?

This is a great example of it.

Black-for-black's-sake uniforms were "the thing" 10-20 years ago but are now a tired cliché.

I'm sad whenever our beautiful cardinal and gold are deemphasized.
I mean, Ohio State is maybe the biggest brand in college football, and they wore alternate black uniforms last week. I'm fine with them one time a year, but I agree, we should be using our school colors.

1238576073jb

Jul 4, 2021
Remember that episode of South Park when they made fun of Iowa for always being 5-10 years behind the culture times to the point you could almost consider the state a time capsule?

Black-for-black's-sake uniforms were "the thing" 10-20 years ago but are now a tired cliché.

Agreed on the "BFBS" - BFBS is probably in it's third decade now - it lead to GFGS ("anthracite", HUGE eye roll here...) & probably WFWS ("icy white"), although the white is a bit less offensive

Don't get me wrong - some of these have their place (e.g. Neb having a black alternate to celebrate "blackshirts") - but, in a lot of cases, I prefer not (like Ohio State)

I do think our BFBS uniforms look great, but I wouldn't miss them... I would not be disappointed if we went CCW @ home & CWC @ away & never changed again

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I mean, Ohio State is maybe the biggest brand in college football, and they wore alternate black uniforms last week. I'm fine with them one time a year, but I agree, we should be using our school colors.

Another state in the Midwest spelled with four letters (three of which are vowels) also behind the time?

Couldn't be.

:jimlad:

Ohio State at least has the fig leaf of an excuse that black has been a secondary color of theirs since the 1960s and their normal home/road looks integrate some black for trim and accenting.

It is just forced in there in comparison with Iowa State. It also happens to be the "main" color of one of our main rivals. Ohio State would never put any maize and blue in its uniforms for obvious reasons.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Volleyball team is wearing black with cardinal & gold... maybe the black FB unis will be updated soon...?

Certainly possible we get something new this next year.

However, the coach of each sport, I think by and large decides what they will wear, within the color boundaries. Stated that way, Campbell has expanded the color boundary to black. If you can call black a color.

Edit: I meant next year.

Last edited:

JohnPrineforCy

Feb 1, 2019
I think its just a midwest is behind the times thing, because Im pretty sure the golden gophers released an all black and white uniform this year.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonsin

Nor'easter

Sep 25, 2016
Another state in the Midwest spelled with four letters (three of which are vowels) also behind the time?

Couldn't be.

Ohio State at least has the fig leaf of an excuse that black has been a secondary color of theirs since the 1960s and their normal home/road looks integrate some black for trim and accenting.

It is just forced in there in comparison with Iowa State. It also happens to be the "main" color of one of our main rivals. Ohio State would never put any maize and blue in its uniforms for obvious reasons.
I mean Stanford, Miami, Oregon, USC I think have all had black uniforms in the past 2-3 years.
It's not some cringe idiot mid west thing.
Thought we were past arguing about black uniforms lol.

1238576073jb

Jul 4, 2021
I mean Stanford, Miami, Oregon, USC I think have all had black uniforms in the past 2-3 years.
It's not some cringe idiot mid west thing.
Thought we were past arguing about black uniforms lol.
This argument will never end until BFBS ends... which seems unlikely, unfortunately

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az

The Osu just did it. I think it lingers.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016

Couldn't be.

Haha that is a hell of a stretch. Ohio State is as ahead of the curve as anybody in the country. They had a receiver wearing an Apple watch and Louis Vitton cleats last week. But because they have four letters, lol.

Sorry, you're way off here. Comparing black to maize and blue. We disagree often, but this might be your worst take. And you liked Prohm.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonsin

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Haha that is a hell of a stretch. Ohio State is as ahead of the curve as anybody in the country. They had a receiver wearing an Apple watch and Louis Vitton cleats last week. But because they have four letters, lol.

Sorry, you're way off here. Comparing black to maize and blue. We disagree often, but this might be your worst take. And you liked Prohm.

I liked Prohm the first four seasons. I went on the fence after Season #5 but held out hope.

Then I totally bailed -- as did everybody -- during/after that season we don't like to talk about.

That is, I updated my beliefs as the facts on the ground changed.

I neither never gave him a chance nor clung to him after it was clear he needed to go.

I just think BFBS is stupid and cliché. I could articulate it much better than I did in my silly joke about Iowa and Ohio having similar names and being from the same region of the country.

I don't think you want that longer post, though, so I'll leave it there.

1238576073jb

Jul 4, 2021
Does anyone know what would commonly be considered the first BFBS uniform (as the primary color of the uniform or jersey - not an accent)? GFGS?

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Does anyone know what would commonly be considered the first BFBS uniform (as the primary color of the uniform or jersey - not an accent)? GFGS?

As far as a black jersey for a team that didn't have black as a primary color, the earliest collegiate team that pops into my head is Northwestern when Gary Barnett arrived in '92.

Reactions: cyclones500

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
As far as a black jersey for a team that didn't have black as a primary color, the earliest collegiate team that pops into my head is Northwestern when Gary Barnett arrived in '92.
That matches my memory, too. Probably occurred prior to that and I don't recall, that might be the earliest that used it consistently.

Oregon of course did plenty of alt-black stuff but it was one of only about 17,000 combos that didn't involve black at all, so it doesn't truly count.

• Funny
Reactions: t-noah

MugNight

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 27, 2021
That matches my memory, too. Probably occurred prior to that and I don't recall, that might be the earliest that used it consistently.

Oregon of course did plenty of alt-black stuff but it was one of only about 17,000 combos that didn't involve black at all, so it doesn't truly count.
I remember the Oregon unis with the steel tread shoulders. That was back when Nike Pro Combat was rolling out unique alternates for several schools.

FSU does a black “UNCONQUERED” uniform that looks pretty good because they incorporate the garnet and gold into it.