All FB coaching rumors and speculation

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston
All joking aside, it must be nice to be in a weak division of a mediocre conference with a racist head coach that nobody wants to poach when your team wins plenty of games each year…

salennon07

Aug 4, 2016
I've always thought this would be the year we know his future. Either he moves on, or he's going to be here for a long time with only a dream job taking him down the road. Really hoping for the later.

With turning over so much of the roster it's easy to assume this would be the year.

Williowa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2016
Idk.... After this year is he a good candidate? He can win some games but when it really counts he's not getting it done.

He hasnt won as much as these schools need him to do. They'd fire him for what he's done here. And he's on the verge of having a 6 win season.

Plus, everyone who's ever hired away an iowa state coach has lived to regret the decision and fired him after a few years.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Tucker re-signing with the Spartans sets the bar pretty high for USC, LSU and Florida. All will need to be willing to pay $10M over 6+ years to hire an established head coach like Matt Campbell.

I also think the job security of all those AD's will come into play. Matt (and any top coach) will favor a job where the AD that hires him will be around in 3-5 years.

Lastly, I don't know if LSU's litigation issues are entirely related to sexual harassment issues within the Athletic Department or NCAA sanction s might also be in play. I would think that could also scare off a big name coach.

If I were to rank the jobs- I would go USC, UF, LSU. IMO with the right coach, the Trojans could be a 12 team playoff program just about every year. Similar situation as Clemson and OU over last 5 years.

The elephant in the room for USC is Pac12 TV contract.

• Agree
Reactions: Rods79

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
[QUOTE="Williowa, post: 8037950, member: 35830"Plus, everyone who's ever hired away an iowa state coach has lived to regret the decision and fired him after a few years.[/QUOTE]
Lol. You’re an idiot.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Tucker re-signing with the Spartans sets the bar pretty high for USC, LSU and Florida. All will need to be willing to pay $10M over 6+ years to hire an established head coach like Matt Campbell.

I also think the job security of all those AD's will come into play. Matt (and any top coach) will favor a job where the AD that hires him will be around in 3-5 years.

Lastly, I don't know if LSU's litigation issues are entirely related to sexual harassment issues within the Athletic Department or NCAA sanction s might also be in play. I would think that could also scare off a big name coach.

If I were to rank the jobs- I would go USC, UF, LSU. IMO with the right coach, the Trojans could be a 12 team playoff program just about every year. Similar situation as Clemson and OU over last 5 years.

The elephant in the room for USC is Pac12 TV contract.

Campbell has a better route to the playoff at ISU than at UF or LSU. Agree on USC, that’s a sleeping giant…if someone can get it turned around.

• Agree
Reactions: isucy86 and Rods79

Williowa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2016
[QUOTE="Williowa, post: 8037950, member: 35830"Plus, everyone who's ever hired away an iowa state coach has lived to regret the decision and fired him after a few years.
Lol. You’re an idiot.
[/QUOTE]
Tim Floyd, Fred Hoiberg, Gene Chizik. Who am I forgetting?

Williowa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2016
Tim Floyd, Fred Hoiberg, Gene Chizik. Who am I forgetting?
Johnny majors and Earle Bruce
[/QUOTE]
So not recent history then. But I guess you're right, it's not 100% guaranteed to fail hiring an iowa state coach, just in the last 40 years.

CLONER99

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2015
Johnny majors and Earle Bruce
So not recent history then. But I guess you're right, it's not 100% guaranteed to fail hiring an iowa state coach, just in the last 40 years.
[/QUOTE]

greg mcdermott

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Campbell has a better route to the playoff at ISU than at UF or LSU. Agree on USC, that’s a sleeping giant…if someone can get it turned around.
I agree with all of this. Once the playoff expands the big 12 gets an auto bid so conference perception won’t matter. Right now ISU has the top recruiting class in the new big 12 and if that can continue you should be able to make the playoffs pretty frequently.

Reactions: cycloneworld

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines
Amen, how many times have we heard the game is better when Texas, USC, and LSU are good? It's nauseating. That's all media hype. Of course, I'm looking through the fellow land grant lens.

It’s really not just the “land grant lens” any longer. The latest round of realignment seems to have really expanded the fault line of football fans against ESPN and the SEC. Their intangible assets have taken a big hit, as they chose to focus on large brands and alienate half the country’s college football fan viewership.