Williams and Blum interview The Athletic’s Stewart Mandel

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale

Didn't see this posted yet.

Just listened to this and I don't know. I get the perspective that he is "just reporting what he is hearing" and I see that to an extent, but it just seemed to me to be more of the same not understanding the reality of the situation.

For example he mentioned that he thinks they are catering to much towards pulling the NFL casuals who just want to see Alabama, but he seems to miss the point that the only reason that they can be pulled in is that the games are already a really big deal. This whole issue comes down to the big schools and the media companies are going to be in for a rude awakening when half the country just stops caring. We have already seen this play out with NASCAR.

I don't think that he wants us to fail, but he did nothing to dispel the notion that uneducated people make stupid decisions that will cause us to fail.

CheapClone1202

Has 3 legs
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2019
I think a lot of what he said was him walking the line of sucking up while still sticking to his main prescription that we aren't valuable. I also think I would fall asleep listening to him talk if I had to work for him, but he did have some humor as the podcast went on. Blum especially did a good job of firing back at him, good listen, but felt just a little condescending at times.

Daserop

Feb 9, 2011
The Bebop

Didn't see this posted yet.

Just listened to this and I don't know. I get the perspective that he is "just reporting what he is hearing" and I see that to an extent, but it just seemed to me to be more of the same not understanding the reality of the situation.

For example he mentioned that he thinks they are catering to much towards pulling the NFL casuals who just want to see Alabama, but he seems to miss the point that the only reason that they can be pulled in is that the games are already a really big deal. This whole issue comes down to the big schools and the media companies are going to be in for a rude awakening when half the country just stops caring. We have already seen this play out with NASCAR.

I don't think that he wants us to fail, but he did nothing to dispel the notion that uneducated people make stupid decisions that will cause us to fail.

What he's been tweeting and writing dictates he's wanting us to fail. He's putting his own "spin" on the facts to push a narrative. A narrative being the remaining 8 teams are worthless and have zero value.

• Winner
Reactions: CyBobby

CheapClone1202

Has 3 legs
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2019
Disagree with people saying CF shouldn't "give him a platform" as if he isn't above CF already. He's an inside voice to have on, he tweets like a ****, and he might be a ****, but when you can get someone like that to discuss realignment and maybe say "hey buddy, Iowa State fans exist so please **** off", you take the opportunity.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Disagree with people saying CF shouldn't "give him a platform" as if he isn't above CF already. He's an inside voice to have on, he tweets like a ****, and he might be a ****, but when you can get someone like that to discuss realignment and maybe say "hey buddy, Iowa State fans exist so please **** off", you take the opportunity.

I'd rather just hear what Jay Jordan has to say myself. But that's just me.

norcalcy

Oct 20, 2010
Chris and Brent were professional and courteous. Brent came with the data. Probably didn't do much to change Mandel's perspective. I will give the guy props for coming on the podcast.

For some reason college football media and certain fanbases have a middle school mean girls clique vibe. The "blueblood" fan bases thrive on sticking their noses in the air and denigrating the "lesser" among us, even when they haven't done squat on the field. Texa$ is the poster child for this. They're 3-7 versus TCU since the Frogs came into the conference. They're right at .500 against K State in the history of the Big XII and they're 3-3 against us over the past six years. Why are they so special again? What do some of the 8 have to do to prove they belong?

Why won't college football media wizards market a March madness mentality? The success of the upstart underdog is at least as interesting as the tired glory days of some expired brand like Nebraska or Texa$. Maybe some new entrants into the media rights game can re-set the formula.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
We have already seen this play out with NASCAR.

Just so I know what you mean here...

NASCAR was a regional sport through roughly the 1980s, but it broke out into "mainstream" appeal nationally in the 1990s. Big TV deals, the most famous drivers being some of the most marketable personalities in the world, opening new tracks near new major markets (e.g., Los Angeles, Dallas, etc.), everything was great. Then the portion of the country that doesn't live roughly in the triangle between Orlando, Richmond, and Little Rock on the map lost interest in stock cars, and they're back to a (diminished) regional footprint.

Are you basically saying the SEC thinks it is going to turn into a second NFL and find out, much to its rude awakening, that midwestern and western fans, who are loyal to Big Ten or ex-Big 12 or Pac-12 teams, don't much care about who wins a regional championship for college football in the Southeast, the sport essentially reversing the process that gave it such broad national appeal the past 30 years?

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006

NASCAR was a regional sport through roughly the 1980s, but it broke out into "mainstream" appeal nationally in the 1990s. Big TV deals, the most famous drivers being some of the most marketable personalities in the world, opening new tracks near new major markets (e.g., Los Angeles, Dallas, etc.), everything was great. Then the portion of the country that doesn't live roughly in the triangle between Orlando, Richmond, and Little Rock on the map lost interest in stock cars, and they're back to a (diminished) regional footprint.

Are you basically saying the SEC thinks it is going to turn into a second NFL and find out, much to its rude awakening, that midwestern and western fans, who are loyal to Big Ten or ex-Big 12 or Pac-12 teams, don't much care about who wins a regional championship for college football in the Southeast, the sport essentially reversing the process that gave it such broad national appeal the past 30 years?

For me... if ESPN and other media outlets are only going to care about the minority of "blue bloods" in college football and say "screw the rest"..... they hopefully will end up regretting it as half the country won't care about college football anymore and won't watch.... and the whole sport may go under.

That would be my wish if ISU athletics go under.

jimonalog

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 16, 2020
Good cop bad cop. Didn't work. Hope it helps CF but didn't sway national media bias. Thanks Blum!

Pat

Oct 20, 2011

In “But What If We’re Wrong?” Chuck Klosterman posits that football in the future will be a regional sport (as opposed to dying completely due to CTE issues). I keep coming back to that as this plays out.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I haven’t listened yet, I don’t care if they made him change his perspective, did they make him sound stupid?

• Agree
Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
In “But What If We’re Wrong?” Chuck Klosterman posits that football in the future will be a regional sport (as opposed to dying completely due to CTE issues). I keep coming back to that as this plays out.

I don't want to open a new front in this war, but my assumption is the sport has no long-term (50+ years) future. CTE is going to kill it off once and for all. It is just a matter of time and means.

Could be bans at the state/regional/federal level. The sport was almost outlawed in the late 1800s already. Or it could be parents just keep holding their kids out, and people lose remaining interest in it because they weren't "socialized" into it as families turn their back on it, and meanwhile kids grow up watching Twitch streamers play videogames or European soccer leagues and football heads to the history books.

The average viewer of *all* sports content is becoming older and older. That is less pronounced in some sports, like basketball and soccer, and more pronounced in others, like racing and baseball, but it is general across the media landscape. All the kids these days just don't like sports as much as their parents and grandparents did, and eventually the market is going to adjust to those changing demographics.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com

One of my favorite CK books. I'd have to read that segment again within context of current CFB. Maybe he was on to something. (But, what if he's wrong? :) )

Help Support Us

Become a patron