Where should I move?

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
We don’t love the idea of Texas. Have some family in Dallas and everytime we’ve visited it didn’t appeal to me.
Yeah, seriously don’t understand the appeal of DFW relative to most US metros. Nice cost of living and don’t freeze your ass of in winter, but there is a long list of places I’ve been that I’d rather live despite those benefits. It’s not a terrible place by any means, but it would be way down on the list for me.
Personally I still think the front range of the Rockies provides the best balance of good weather while getting all seasons, tons of outdoors activities, good access to “big city” stuff with some reasonable cost of living.
If not there the areas of NC and VA are great options.

Reactions: gocy444

ISUEmbassy

Jun 13, 2014
Boise is actually a great city (or was when I worked there 15 yrs ago) - pretty temperate weather actually, tons of outdoorsy stuff all around, not too big.

Ft Collins would be another suggestion for front range cities.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
I assume you’re like me and would pay or not pay state income tax based on where you live? It’s a decision I’ve been flipping around a bit on as well. Tennessee has no income tax so that’s a plus, but I think Nashville is on the pricier side of the cities you listed.

I’d probably only pick KC if you want to stay close to Iowa or the Midwest in general.

Nevada has no income tax and Vegas is pretty inexpensive, I know some people who live in Henderson and Summerlin who really like it, but there you’re dealing with the heat so different beast than the snow.

Nelcyn

Nov 29, 2012
Colorado
Some are recommending Denver or Fort Collins. I would not recommend any front range cities in Colorado. Just went through the worst forest fire in Colorado history and they have water supply issues. Most native Coloradoans are gone.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Some are recommending Denver or Fort Collins. I would not recommend any front range cities in Colorado. Just went through the worst forest fire in Colorado history and they have water supply issues. Most native Coloradoans are gone.

15 years ago that area was nice. Then word REALLY got out and it seems about anything you do out there, everyone else is there or driving there.

Nelcyn

Nov 29, 2012
Colorado
15 years ago that area was nice. Then word REALLY got out and it seems about anything you do out there, everyone else is there or driving there.
They praise high tech is moving in, but there are really no high paying jobs in Fort Collins. Unless you think 60k to 80k is "high paying." Poor , middle class, and upper class all mixed closely together. Not to mention there is no decent shopping areas. Old Town and CSU keep that place unique and the proximity to Estes, Red Feather Lakes, RMNP, etc. If anything, try Denver or smaller surrounding suburbs south of Fort Collins.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
My wife and I are seriously considering moving away from Minneapolis as the upcoming winter is killing our spirits. The brutal cold essentially stops us from doing what we enjoy to do 5-6 months of the year and we can’t take it anymore. Our top three so far are Nashville, KC and Charlotte, but we are open to any and all suggestions.

-We can both work remotely so any location in the US is ok.
-Would like to stay in a larger metro area, but one that has a similar or less cost of living to MSP.
-Don’t want to live somewhere that’s hot all year round. We don’t hate the cold and snow, just cannot take 8 inches of snow in October. Would like mild winters.
-No kids yet, but will in 3-4 years, so we plan on living in the burbs.
-Love to golf, hike, brewery hop, be outside. Would like to be able to do these at least 9-10 months a year.

Let’s hear some suggestions!

Nashville. Beats K.C. IMO, and I like K.C.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
Visited Nashville numerous times over the past 20 years. Lots to do but it has become very expensive and traffic has become tiresome. Kinda like Austin Texas. Great places to visit. Not sure if I want to live there.

gocy444

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 15, 2008
Ames, IA
Visited Nashville numerous times over the past 20 years. Lots to do but it has become very expensive and traffic has become tiresome. Kinda like Austin Texas. Great places to visit. Not sure if I want to live there.
The thing is...MSP suburbs are still quite a bit more expensive than Nashville burbs. It’s dumb how expensive MSP is for what it offers.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

aauummm

April is International Guitar Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
My wife and I are seriously considering moving away from Minneapolis as the upcoming winter is killing our spirits. The brutal cold essentially stops us from doing what we enjoy to do 5-6 months of the year and we can’t take it anymore. Our top three so far are Nashville, KC and Charlotte, but we are open to any and all suggestions.
My wife's brother and family lives between Hendersonville, TN and Gallatin, TN (closer to Gallatin than Hendersonville) which are basically northeast suburbs of Nashville and are located right on Old Hickory Lake. We have visited them numerous times, staying in RV resorts and Corps campgrounds and taking day trips around the area while there. The area is very attractive, not only for the economic reasons but for the scenery, mild climate, activities and recreation, clean air, area attractions, schools, quality of life and infrastructure, etc. We comment every time that we are there that we could easily live there.

https://www.hendersonvillechamber.com/about/area-information
https://www.gallatintn.gov/31/Residents

My brother lives in Overland Park, KS and it's pretty nice also. It's got most everything that Hendersonville/Gallatin has except there are state income taxes and housing costs are rising pretty fast. The Hendersonville/Gallatin weather is milder and the scenery is much better also.

Last edited:

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013

-We can both work remotely so any location in the US is ok.
-Would like to stay in a larger metro area, but one that has a similar or less cost of living to MSP.
-Don’t want to live somewhere that’s hot all year round. We don’t hate the cold and snow, just cannot take 8 inches of snow in October. Would like mild winters.
-No kids yet, but will in 3-4 years, so we plan on living in the burbs.
-Love to golf, hike, brewery hop, be outside. Would like to be able to do these at least 9-10 months a year.

Let’s hear some suggestions!
Chattanooga.

Jammin’

Jul 18, 2009
Ames-Mia-Atx
First Place that immediately came to mind

-Salt Lake City Area

Places that also came to mind

-Chattanooga, TN

-Knoxville, TN

-Colorado Springs Area

-Charlotte Area

-Oklahoma City- not sure about hiking, but the city is becoming very pro growth. Could look and feel a lot different in 20 years. Sort of like a minor league Charlotte currently.

Someplace really off the wall

-San Marcos, TX - might be a little hot and small but everything else is close. Right in between ATX and San Antonio.

Good Luck man, keep us updated!!

Last edited:

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009
For hiking, I don't think of KC. I would definitely go the Appalachia route.

I've only really spent any time in the Raleigh area. I'd move there. Some good college towns nearby, especially for basketball too.