On That Note: Saved By Zero (pt. 1): Albums of 1970/60

MuskieCy

Nov 4, 2006
9th grade, hit my sweet spot,.....sorry.

I could keep going.

Last edited:

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Limiting to albums I owned then and now after looking through my vinyl for 1970 albums and found seven.

Abraxes – Santana: Most likely of the collective to still get spin time. I imagine dorm mates in Dana House got tired of hearing this in the early ‘70’s. Even had a CD for playing in the old Audi. Only one of the seven with staying power for me.​

Benefit – Jethro Tull: This may have spun as much as Abraxes back in the day but a listen today is sorta rare.​

Tea for the Tillman – Cat Stevens: After hours smoking and chilling with Duke, Jeffy, and the boys and gals music. After 50 years I am doubting that the Longer Boats are really coming to win us. :rolleyes:

Déjà vu – Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young: Not as good as the 1969 Crosby, Still and Nash album. Some spin time with Moody Blues for sexy time listening with CWW#1 from Linden but today I’d spin the 1969 album.​

Stephen Still – Stephen Stills: Cause I liked those guys back in the day. Mo’ sexy time spinning. Odd choice though with “Love the One You’re With”.​

James Gang Rides Again – James Gang: Just rock stuff.​

Hey Jude – The Beatles: WTF is this doing in my albums? I wasn’t a Beatles guy. Might have been left by a CWW at some point over the decades.​

And because I do still hear the beasts crying and the wind singing in "Singing Winds, Crying Beasts":

Last edited:

MuskieCy

Nov 4, 2006
' Hey Jude – The Beatles: WTF is this doing in my albums? I wasn’t a Beatles guy. Might have been left by a CWW at some point over the decades.

"The "Hey Jude" LP was a compilation of singles and B sides, released only in America.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclones500

Cydar

Apr 2, 2006
van%20morrison_moondance.jpg

And my favorite Van Morrison song.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I, too, prefer the predecessor to Loaded. But not *only* because of Pale Blue Eyes. :)

No, same here - I just like the more... I don't know, stripped down feeling of the predecessor? I just only need to say "Pale Blue Eyes" to win the argument. ;)

• Funny
Reactions: cyclones500

20eyes

May 15, 2020
SO MANY GREAT RECORDS IN 1970!!!

Mine were all already selected but if I was forced to choose only one it'd be LZIII which is my personal favorite LZ record.

It's such a remarkable construction of an album. From the crushing opening of Immigrant Song to the rollicking fun of Celebration Day to the legit blues of Since I've been Loving You to the pure folk of Gallows Pole and Bron-Y-Aur Stomp...and it's ended expertly with Hat's Off to (Roy) Harper. It's just an amazing collection of songs crafted perfectly into album form.

And I used to listen to it at a buddy's house who'd gotten his uncle's original LP with the picture wheel!

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
SO MANY GREAT RECORDS IN 1970!!!

Mine were all already selected but if I was forced to choose only one it'd be LZIII which is my personal favorite LZ record.

It's such a remarkable construction of an album. From the crushing opening of Immigrant Song to the rollicking fun of Celebration Day to the legit blues of Since I've been Loving You to the pure folk of Gallows Pole and Bron-Y-Aur Stomp...and it's ended expertly with Hat's Off to (Roy) Harper. It's just an amazing collection of songs crafted perfectly into album form.

And I used to listen to it at a buddy's house who'd gotten his uncles original LP with the picture wheel!
Yeah, that's probably my favorite Zep album as well. 1970 is arguably the best year ever, as far as albums are concerned. It's right up there with 1969 or 1991 in my opinion

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
How could anyone overlook "Burnt Weeny Sandwich" by The Mothers of Invention?

Released the same day as "Morrison Hotel".

• Friendly
Reactions: 20eyes and Angie

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Welcome Back to "On That Note," CF’s weekly source for music listening & discussion, hosted by @MeanDean, @CycloneRulzzz and @cyclones500.

MeanDean was scheduled to host this time, but the storm caused damage at his house and he’s without power for a few days. I’ll be host for this segment.

This week, we launch our annual albums-by-decade series for years ending in zero. For part 1, give us your top LPs for 1970 (we also accept albums from 1960). Those years only (NOT the entire decade).

Along with your song samples, we encourage you to expound on why the album is meaningful to you. If you wish, provide personal history of your relationship with the record and its music. If you’re more singles-oriented, you may substitute by posting your top songs of the year.

My first choice will come in separate entry.

Next week, we’ll continue with 1980 & 1990.

Do any of you semi-older people remember the 80's cover band named "Saved by Zero" that used to play at Peoples in the late 90's, early 2000's? They were really fun to watch.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006

I used to really like the Doors. And Morrison Hotel definitely has some good tracks. Maggie M'Gill and Queen of the Highway are two of my favorites, but I have found that as I get older, the Doors have aged pretty poorly. I used to think that they they were incredibly unique and nobody sounded like they did. And now I think it's because nobody else really wanted to sound like them and their uniqueness sort of comes off as novelty. It's sort of like if Hot Topic were a band in the 60s, it would be the Doors.

• Agree
Reactions: Angie and Rural

diaclone

Apr 16, 2006
Metro Omaha
Someone already posted Live At Leeds.....nevertheless..here it is again. (Though this link is to the 40th anniversary edition of the album.) I cannot fathom it's been 50 years since this came out

The Who has been my fav rock band for years. I was ecstatic when they came to Hilton in April 1980. This was just about five months after their concert in Cincy where a crowd rush killed 11 concert goers. After that, they had put in place better security for their concerts. We took turns waiting/camping out for two or three days to be in line for tix. I was thinking that I should be studying instead of taking a turn in line. But as I look back, I am glad I got tix and waited in line.

Magic Bus was my fav track and I waited and waited for the band to play it at the Hilton concert. But they never did. Oh well.

• Friendly
Reactions: Angie and 20eyes

20eyes

May 15, 2020
Yeah, that's probably my favorite Zep album as well. 1970 is arguably the best year ever, as far as albums are concerned. It's right up there with 1969 or 1991 in my opinion
What blows me away about 1970 personally is how many "second favorite" albums it includes.

1. White Album
2. Let It Be

1. Black Sabbath / Vol. 4
2. Paranoid

1. Everybody Knows This is Nowhere
2. After the Gold Rush

1. The Velvet Underground & Nico
2. Loaded

1. Raw Power
2. Fun House

1. LA Woman
2. Morrison Hotel / The Doors

And if we're counting studio albums for The Dead BOTH American Beauty & Workingman's Dead came out in '70 with Workingman's being my personal favorite.

It's just bananas.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
I used to really like the Doors. And Morrison Hotel definitely has some good tracks. Maggie M'Gill and Queen of the Highway are two of my favorites, but I have found that as I get older, the Doors have aged pretty poorly. I used to think that they they were incredibly unique and nobody sounded like they did. And now I think it's because nobody else really wanted to sound like them and their uniqueness sort of comes off as novelty. It's sort of like if Hot Topic were a band in the 60s, it would be the Doors.

I get that, I really do, it's why they were such a grab bag in live performances.

The range was really from legendary to what is this ****.

I was with folks in that era that took, "I woke up this mornin' and I got myself a beer" as a credo.

It's also why I'm the only one left to chronicle it.