Snowbirds

aauummm

June is National Camping Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
Side note - granddaughter, singular?
Yep, just one and sometimes on the shorter trips (in-state mainly) she'll bring along a friend. Sounds like you may need a 45 footer! Ours is a Itasca Sunova 33C, 35 ft with three slideouts, so it's just big enough for that load and no more.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Yep, just one and sometimes on the shorter trips (in-state mainly) she'll bring along a friend.
Just one. What must that be like? :D
We have 15 of 'em (plus one grandson), spread from Delaware to Seattle. Again, our logistics would be different than yours. ;)

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
No one has much addressed FL. We have BEACHES. (and Florida man and Florida woman for entertainment).

First year we stayed in a mobile home park. Those are huge and a good cheap way to get into the snow bird cycle. Anywhere from $20k on up and some quite nice ones. Downside is the monthly lot rent and risk of hurricanes. As far as hurricanes the season is basically late June to the end of October/early November so at least they don't happen when you're there.

Second year bought an ocean front condo. Up the coast a bit from West Palm Beach. Prices were more reasonable and the traffic during season is less bothersome. Really really like where we are. Far enough south it stays warm but far enough north you're out of the urban sprawl and traffic snarls of Miami/Ft Lauderdale and W Palm.

I go for 6 months which, along with registering to vote there and licensing a vehicle allows me to establish Florida residency. NO STATE Income tax.

I don't rent out for three reasons. 1. Not much demand for off season rentals. 2. I keep my clothes and personal possessions in there - it's my home. I prefer not to have others in there. You may not care about such things but I'm a bit picky on MY stuff. 3. The property is a residential property and as such it limits rentals to a minimum of 3 months. This keeps it nicer as you don't get weekly vacationers who don't give a crap about neighbors or facilities. So it's more pleasant for owner occupants and seasonal rentals.

Since it's more humid in Florida than the SW day/night temperature fluctuations are less. Where in AZ it might get into the 70's in the daytime it still can get down into the 40's at night. In Florida it may only fluctuate 10 degrees or so between day and night so you have better evening weather for outdoor activities.

Like others have said you get a lot of the same people every year, both owners and renters so a sense of community is definitely a big draw. Like others have said it can be tough to get a place as most come back to the same units year after year. There is a stronger East Coast New England/New York/New Jersey presence but most are still very friendly in a social setting versus driving or shopping wars.

Been doing Florida for 10 years. I plan to snowbird as long as I can do it. I always tell people, "I look forward to going south in the fall and I look forward to coming back to Iowa in the spring. So I must be doing it right."

If you or anyone else wants info on rentals in the area PM me. It would be cool to have more ISU fans in the neighborhood. I can send you contact info on the primary real estate group that does much of the rental stuff in the region.

Last edited:

aauummm

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
Just one. What must that be like? :D
We have 15 of 'em (plus one grandson), spread from Delaware to Seattle. Again, our logistics would be different than yours. ;)
Yikes! That's a lot of cats and kids! I guess I'm lucky. You'd probably need a 76 ft long motorhome or take two motorhomes on each trip! (just joking)

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
Since it's more humid in Florida than the SW day/night temperature fluctuations are less. Where in AZ it might get into the 70's in the daytime it still can get down into the 40's at night. In Florida it may only fluctuate 10 degrees or so between day and night so you have better evening weather for outdoor activities.

This is important and it catches nearly everyone who visits by surprise. Phoenix is in a desert and it gets cold at night during the winter. Frost happens a fair amount and it will hit the 30s often in Dec/Jan. By 11am it will be comfy, but it will be chilly early.

Our winter days also aren't terribly long - 7am to 5:30pm for Dec/Jan. People know this but midwesterners who visit tend to forget, because if it's 70 degrees the sun should stay up awhile. It doesn't.

aauummm

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
11 years ago we sold everything and hit the road in our RV, best decision we ever made. We have wintered in the Phoenix area, Gulf Coast of Texas and Hill Country of Texas. I just saw your thread so if this is a repeat I apologize. Snowbirds have been known to do all the options you mentioned. RV is probably top of the list followed by buy what is called a park model, essentially a smaller mobile home, and just leaving there year round. After the initial expense you just have a monthly (or yearly) lot rental. In Arizona there is also monthly electric because you would want a humidifier and air conditioner to run during the summer. People have left RVs there year round and have put 55 gallon plastic drums full of water in the RV.

Probably TMI because it will all depend on what you like. Try a few different places before you decide. We are both retired so can't talk about working from home but one thing to research is connectivity. RV Parks for both RVs and park models are notorious for poor WiFi speeds.

Hope this helps,
I've checked out your RV travel blog from time to time and enjoy it immensely. Probably time to check it out again! Happy Trails!

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
This is important and it catches nearly everyone who visits by surprise. Phoenix is in a desert and it gets cold at night during the winter. Frost happens a fair amount and it will hit the 30s often in Dec/Jan. By 11am it will be comfy, but it will be chilly early.

Our winter days also aren't terribly long - 7am to 5:30pm for Dec/Jan. People know this but midwesterners who visit tend to forget, because if it's 70 degrees the sun should stay up awhile. It doesn't.

Exactly. Where we are it has not frosted in the 10 years I've been going. It HAS in the past and will again. I think it got down to 38 one time. People in parkas and mittens. Newscasts with weather charts that say "Bitterly Cold."

[Jensen Beach, in the early 20th century had some huge pineapple plantations. Then at some point a frost hit and that was the end of that run. Still lots of "Pineapple" named streets, stores, businesses in the area.]

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Yikes! That's a lot of cats and kids! I guess I'm lucky. You'd probably need a 76 ft long motorhome or take two motorhomes on each trip! (just joking)
I was looking at that Llano resort info. I thought it would be cool because we used to go play on the Llano river when I was a child (it's not far from my grandparents' ranch). I would be near family but not WITH family.
However, I didn't recognize the town name. Yeah. Nowhere NEAR where I thought it would be! We were near Kerrville. That resort is down between McAllen & Brownsville.

aauummm

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
I was looking at that Llano resort info. I thought it would be cool because we used to go play on the Llano river when I was a child (it's not far from my grandparents' ranch). I would be near family but not WITH family.
However, I didn't recognize the town name. Yeah. Nowhere NEAR where I thought it would be! We were near Kerrville. That resort is down between McAllen & Brownsville.
Yep the resort is right down on the border. Now when you are talking Kerrville that's Hill Country, God's Country, beautiful! You were lucky growing up there. It's on my bucket list. That's where kcbob79clone was this spring and maybe is still there (just checked his RV travel blog out a bit ago).

Last edited:

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Yep the resort is right down on the border. Now when you are talking Kerrville that's Hill Country, God's Country, beautiful! You were lucky growing up there. It's on my bucket list. That's where kcbob79clone was this spring and maybe is still there (just checked his RV travel blog out a bit ago).
I didn't "grow up" there - my father, grandfather, greatgrandfather, etc did. I just was lucky enough to spend my summers there. :D The town of Harper is named for my great-great-grandfather. And yes, it's gorgeous there. No humidity so the nights cool off and it really IS cooler in the shade.

kcbob79clone

Still in the Hill Country for a while. We "plan" on heading north to KC & Iowa this fall.

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
My aunt and uncle rent a condo in Florida. I’m assuming at some point they’ll buy one and gradually move down there over time.

My goal over the next 10-15 years is to buy a condo in Florida and rent it out as a vacation rental, using it a couple of times a year. Have it paid off well before I retire and continue renting it to help grow the nest egg. Retire and snowbird 6 months and eventually just move down there.