Iowa Football Recruiting

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
You mean the 4 star?
I don't mean to sound like a whiny brat when I say this. It is no secret that kid's get a recruiting bump depending on what school they commit to.

If Labas was still a Ball State commit, he would be a low ranked 3 star. Mike Rose, who went to the same school as Labas, was a 2 star MiamiU commit. He flipped to ISU and got a ratings bump. He was still the same player.

Yes, the weight of the ratings bump is due to the success of the program. 247 and other sites use the offers and interest from programs as a metric for how they rank their recruits. If BAMA and LSU are fighting hard for a 2 star kid, it may be time to change his rating.

For example, ISU offered Michael Trigg early when he was unranked. He was unranked for a while and then almost every SEC school offered him. Now he is a 4 star. Same with Davon Townley and a few other recruits.

So yes, the Hok commits are getting a bump in ratings because Hok wanted them. This is because 247 views Hok as good talent evaluators. They also view ISU as good talent evaluators, but probably not able to reel in the big time 4 stars yet.

Yet another reason why I trust the tape more than the rating.

TRYHARDER

Aug 23, 2019
I don't mean to sound like a whiny brat when I say this. It is no secret that kid's get a recruiting bump depending on what school they commit to.

If Labas was still a Ball State commit, he would be a low ranked 3 star. Mike Rose, who went to the same school as Labas, was a 2 star MiamiU commit. He flipped to ISU and got a ratings bump. He was still the same player.

Yes, the weight of the ratings bump is due to the success of the program. 247 and other sites use the offers and interest from programs as a metric for how they rank their recruits. If BAMA and LSU are fighting hard for a 2 star kid, it may be time to change his rating.

For example, ISU offered Michael Trigg early when he was unranked. He was unranked for a while and then almost every SEC school offered him. Now he is a 4 star. Same with Davon Townley and a few other recruits.

So yes, the Hok commits are getting a bump in ratings because Hok wanted them. This is because 247 views Hok as good talent evaluators. They also view ISU as good talent evaluators, but probably not able to reel in the big time 4 stars yet.

so Translation = offers matter more than rankings?

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I think offers do matter more than rankings, but rankings are not something you should throw away either. There could be other reasons why the high ranked guy doesn't have many P5 offers.

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
I think that this is an argument that will never be resolved because there is not a direct correlation to on-field success. If it were as simple as a video game, the 4 stars would always be better than 3 stars would always be better than 2 stars. Likewise, the kid with the better offers would start over the lesser.

That's obviously not how it works, ISU has 2-star guys on both sides of the ball who contributed A LOT as freshman (Milton, Young, others). Young had a Wisconsin offer and that's about it. Milton had a few lower P5 schools, but nothing flashy.

This is not an exact science. That's why all programs whiff on multiple recruits every year.

My formula for success is the same as it is the "real world"

Formula (not in order of importance)
1. Aptitude/Talent - this is demonstrated by the tape
2. Attitude - this is demonstrated by the kid having offers from service schools or ivy league. (This is more of a check box like "yes, this kid is a working" rather than the more the better. Obviously the kid with more talent is better than a less talented kid with all the Ivy league offers)
3. Testimonials - Who else is offering and what the recruiting sites say for their analysis?
4. Ability to Grow - How athletic is the kid? Did he get better year by year? How is his frame? blah blah blah

I use that formula when I hire anyone.

Edit: Another CRUCIAL trait I look for when hiring is "Action-Oriented" but I'm not sure how to tell for that based on the data we are given.

TRYHARDER

Aug 23, 2019
I think that this is an argument that will never be resolved because there is not a direct correlation to on-field success. If it were as simple as a video game, the 4 stars would always be better than 3 stars would always be better than 2 stars. Likewise, the kid with the better offers would start over the lesser.

That's obviously not how it works, ISU has 2-star guys on both sides of the ball who contributed A LOT as freshman (Milton, Young, others). Young had a Wisconsin offer and that's about it. Milton had a few lower P5 schools, but nothing flashy.

This is not an exact science. That's why all programs whiff on multiple recruits every year.

My formula for success is the same as it is the "real world"

Formula (not in order of importance)
1. Aptitude/Talent - this is demonstrated by the tape
2. Attitude - this is demonstrated by the kid having offers from service schools or ivy league. (This is more of a check box like "yes, this kid is a working" rather than the more the better. Obviously the kid with more talent is better than a less talented kid with all the Ivy league offers)
3. Testimonials - Who else is offering and what the recruiting sites say for their analysis?
4. Ability to Grow - How athletic is the kid? Did he get better year by year? How is his frame? blah blah blah

I use that formula when I hire anyone.

Edit: Another CRUCIAL trait I look for when hiring is "Action-Oriented" but I'm not sure how to tell for that based on the data we are given.
actually pretty well put. well done. I think motivation is another one but that kind of fits in with attitude. The hard part on that is sometimes that is the toughest one to judge.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
actually pretty well put. well done. I think motivation is another one but that kind of fits in with attitude. The hard part on that is sometimes that is the toughest one to judge.
And that's why when you see guys from our recruiting class that don't have many P5 offers or none, but hold an offer from a military academy, we get pretty excited. Doesn't mean you should expect the kid to be automatically a stud someday, but shows he's most likely a high character kid, puts the team in front of himself at all times, and will work harder than anyone.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Top 6? Why the random number?
Well they threw West Virginia into that I believe, who was #6. If it was top 5, we'd likely be tied for 5th place and it'd still be impressive for Iowa State all things considered.

May 7, 2020

Since you trust the tape more than anything, when 247 says the following about Labas getting bumped to a 4 star, you agree with their new rating?

In the past few weeks, the 247Sports national team has looked at Labas' junior film, measured his upside, and have now upgraded him to a four-star prospect.

Brodie0

Apr 1, 2020

Lol, this is great. “I don’t mean to sound like a whiny brat when I say this, but I’m going to go ahead and be a whiny brat for a second. The recruiting services are biased, so we shouldn’t put too much stock in them.”

We’re much better off trusting the guy who claims a small, slow, inaccurate QB has a 97 potential.

Reactions: TrianglePlace

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Lol, this is great. “I don’t mean to sound like a whiny brat when I say this, but I’m going to go ahead and be a whiny brat for a second. The recruiting services are biased, so we shouldn’t put too much stock in them.”

We’re much better off trusting the guy who claims a small, slow, inaccurate QB has a 97 potential.
Wouldn't it be fair to say both Wright and Labas are under the radar type guys who look to both possess the ability to be very good someday? Why does one guy have to suck and one guy have amazing potential?

TrianglePlace

May 13, 2020

It's less about trusting the tape and more about trusting who is evaluating the tape.

The guys at 247 or Rivals don't have the bias that you do towards Iowa prospects (see Deuce Hogan).

You don't have any credibility when it comes to evaluating tape.

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
Since you trust the tape more than anything, when 247 says the following about Labas getting bumped to a 4 star, you agree with their new rating?

In the past few weeks, the 247Sports national team has looked at Labas' junior film, measured his upside, and have now upgraded him to a four-star prospect.
I like Labas as a high 3 star. For 4 star QB ratings, I want to see a guy who carries his team and gets deep into the playoffs.

Labas has great size, mobility and probably the best release in the 2021 class. That huge for his ability to get the ball out.

He has adequate arm strength and decent accuracy.

Labas is a good get.

Reactions: Statefan10

CyHawk1605

Jun 22, 2020
Your best recruit was a legacy we didn't even want? Woof
I don’t understand why I can’t rank my players I like without getting bashed. You don’t have to agree with me, it’s just who I think will be a stud. What I see when I watch his tape is Larry Station in Abdul Hodges body. So of course I’m pumped he’s coming here.

TRYHARDER

Aug 23, 2019
I don’t understand why I can’t rank my players I like without getting bashed. You don’t have to agree with me, it’s just who I think will be a stud. What I see when I watch his tape is Larry Station in Abdul Hodges body. So of course I’m pumped he’s coming here.
I like him too

Lemmiwinks

Aug 31, 2018
Ankeny
I like him too
I mean, the kid was offered by both Fleck and Frost, which according to a very well respected member here are two of the premier college football coaches out there. I believe the first coach mentioned above was right after Campbell for his ISU coaching want list while the latter coach was described as an "elite recruiter". Pretty solid pickup by the Hawks. Lot of good talent to choose from for the list.

TRYHARDER

Aug 23, 2019
I mean, the kid was offered by both Fleck and Frost, which according to a very well respected member here are two of the premier college football coaches out there. I believe the first coach mentioned above was right after Campbell for his ISU coaching want list while the latter coach was described as an "elite recruiter". Pretty solid pickup by the Hawks. Lot of good talent to choose from for the list.
Correct......but the opinion has changed on Fleck now after he has only managed 1 top 10 finish and seemingly topped out at 11 wins for Minnesota in the weak BIG10 west. Try to keep up!