Oklahoma State basketball hit w/ 1 year post-season ban

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
I'm sorry, but the AD at OSU hired this guy. As a coach, he was representing OSU Athletics and their basketball program The school must be punished. They're ******* cheating. The student athletes are more than welcome to transfer out. If you decide to play for a cheating program, you are lumped in with them. Sucks, but has to be done. Just wish the NCAA can act more swiftly than having a process that takes 3 freaking years to impose penalties.

Hoping that KU burns soon.

Except how was it cheating? What advantage did they gain? Let them sign with agents and financial managers. Only reason this happened is because of bogus amateurism rules.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
giphy.gif

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Except how was it cheating? What advantage did they gain? Let them sign with agents and financial managers. Only reason this happened is because of bogus amateurism rules.
It is bogus that coaches can’t help their players in that manner, but since the lines are drawn it is cheating.
If an assistant coach is known for helping you make connections in which you can receive benefits, isn’t that a competitive advantage in attracting players?

It’s a little counterintuitive, but it would actually level the playing field if the NCAA relaxed the insane amateurism rules imo. These rules are so overreaching they’re impossible to enforce, which imo is what the money makers actually want. It maintains the ability for blue bloods to benefit from non-monetary advantages no one else can compete with like branding (history built on cheating) while also allowing them to hide behind “everyone cheats” at some level.

Reactions: Halincandenza

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
By the way, OSU was not supposed to suck next year. They were projected at #33 overall and #6 in the Big 12 on BT, which puts them solidly on the bubble if not probably a good ways inside of it to something like an #8-#10 seed.

That was assuming Cade Cunningham shows up in Stillwater, however. I would imagine that might be somewhat up in the air with this news hitting the ticker.

This might weaken the middle of the Big 12 slightly and the bottom of the bubble, though. I will take very little bit of help we can get in our big push next year.

Reactions: WalkingCY

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Interesting side note, some of the charges against Code, Dawkins and Gatto might get thrown out based on Supreme Court's ruling in the Bridgegate scandal.

CyPunch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
By the way, OSU was not supposed to suck next year. They were projected at #33 overall and #6 in the Big 12 on BT, which puts them solidly on the bubble if not probably a good ways inside of it to something like an #8-#10 seed.

That was assuming Cade Cunningham shows up in Stillwater, however. I would imagine that might be somewhat up in the air with this news hitting the ticker.

This might weaken the middle of the Big 12 slightly and the bottom of the bubble, though. I will take very little bit of help we can get in our big push next year.

Yeah, he wasn't going to have a great supporting cast but having a generational talent goes a long way. Likekele and Anei were at least a couple good/experienced pieces for Cade to work with. Both top 20ish returning players in the Big 12.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Yeah, he wasn't going to have a great supporting cast but having a generational talent goes a long way. Likekele and Anei were at least a couple good/experienced pieces for Cade to work with. Both top 20ish returning players in the Big 12.

Cunningham is the obvious big domino rumors are already flying around about him going to another school or G-League. It also affects their top 5 class other than Cade all of them now could decide to transfer elsewhere and play as the NCAA often grants those waivers.

Just when OSU looked to have cratered through the past 3 seasons and read to build to a consistent top half Big 12 team they could be back at the bottom. Brutal. (but good for ISU to take advantage) .
We need to wait and see if their players transfer but, I would guess there will be some.

As for KU, they have to be nervous, the hammer is ready to be thrown by the NCAA... OSU didn't fight the charges or flaunt their infractions the way KU did and got a year. I think the NCAA will try to make a point with KU dud to all the publicity now. We'll see.

Reactions: WalkingCY

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Cunningham is the obvious big domino rumors are already flying around about him going to another school or G-League. It also affects their top 5 class other than Cade all of them now could decide to transfer elsewhere and play as the NCAA often grants those waivers.

Just when OSU looked to have cratered through the past 3 seasons and read to build to a consistent top half Big 12 team they could be back at the bottom. Brutal. (but good for ISU to take advantage) .
We need to wait and see if their players transfer but, I would guess there will be some.

As for KU, they have to be nervous, the hammer is ready to be thrown by the NCAA... OSU didn't fight the charges or flaunt their infractions the way KU did and got a year. I think the NCAA will try to make a point with KU dud to all the publicity now. We'll see.

If they ever really wanted to make an example out of somebody and prove that nobody is above the rules, then Kansas is going to be their shot to do it.

We will see if they have the cajones.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

Yeah. One they struck while the iron was hot. The other, more serious corruption at Kansas, they will let die of old age.

The OSU case was just petty corruption in my mind. Having an assistant steer players to particular agents didn't give the Cowboys one iota of competitive advantage. Players didn't receive a tangible benefit. Ban that coach, not sure the school should even be looking at sanctions.

Last edited:

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
See, here is where the post season ban thing is stupid.

Say it's a year where they beat us twice and we just miss the tournament.

We pick up their post season ban infection.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
@isutrevman Care to lay out the facts of what Underwood did?
The NCAA probably wont find anything on Underwood. There is a reason head coaches have their assistants and recruiting coordinators act as the "bag men", so they don't get in trouble if the program is caught. That doesn't mean they don't know what's going on though. Head coaches micromanage everything. Underwood likely knew everything that was happening. I don't know that with 100% certainty, if that's what your're getting at.