• Thumbs Up

Votes: 86 62.3%
  • Thumbs Down

Votes: 52 37.7%

• Total voters

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/ghos...-to-be-in-the-works-at-marvel-studios-a175152

Ghost Rider TV show or movie rumored to be in the works at Marvel Studios. Apparently, this will not be the Gabriel Luna Robbie Reyes version of the character which appeared in Agents of Shield and originally had a TV show being developed by Marvel TV before its demise. While this is cool for me to see and I can't wait, I've been vocal on here for a long time now of my love for Gabriel Luna in the Robbie Reyes role. RIP my friend.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
It's been too quiet - here's some (minor) MCU news:

Rob Liefeld (creator of Deadpool) did an interview recently and stated that Marvel has "zero" plans to make Deadpool 3.

According to the Hollywood Reporter, New Mutants is still being targeted as a theatrical release, and not direct to VOD

Iron Man 2 came out 10 years ago(!). Here's an article from the Hollywood Reporter looking back on Iron Man 2 and it's place the catalyst film that allowed the Avenger's and all future MCU films to happen. I forgot that Justin Theroux (the lead actor from HBO series The Leftovers) wrote the screenplay for Iron Man 2 and also Tropic Thunder.

The Czech Republic has eased back COVID-19 restrictions. This is notable because the country had been a filming location for the Falcon and the Winter Soldier, (and also the new Lord of the Rings series for Amazon). Filming was set to take place in Prague back in March, but was cancelled due to COVID-19 outbreak. It's my understanding the show hasn't finished filming yet, so in theory they could get back to work on production at any time.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
It's been too quiet - here's some (minor) MCU news:

Rob Liefeld (creator of Deadpool) did an interview recently and stated that Marvel has "zero" plans to make Deadpool 3.

According to the Hollywood Reporter, New Mutants is still being targeted as a theatrical release, and not direct to VOD

Iron Man 2 came out 10 years ago(!). Here's an article from the Hollywood Reporter looking back on Iron Man 2 and it's place the catalyst film that allowed the Avenger's and all future MCU films to happen. I forgot that Justin Theroux (the lead actor from HBO series The Leftovers) wrote the screenplay for Iron Man 2 and also Tropic Thunder.

The Czech Republic has eased back COVID-19 restrictions. This is notable because the country had been a filming location for the Falcon and the Winter Soldier, (and also the new Lord of the Rings series for Amazon). Filming was set to take place in Prague back in March, but was cancelled due to COVID-19 outbreak. It's my understanding the show hasn't finished filming yet, so in theory they could get back to work on production at any time.

The more time that passes, the more I'm believing my theory I mentioned earlier that Disney is saving New Mutants back to drop as one of the first major movies released after theaters open back up in the U.S., likely this summer sometime. Therefore, I'm going to guess either sometime late June - Aug for a release date.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
New Mutants coming to theaters Aug 28

EX6bGGXWAAIxOTP

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Not MCU-related, but another "State of Hollywood" post:

AppleTV+ has secured the rights to the new Tom Hanks film Greyhound which was originally supposed to launch in theaters on Father's Day. The article says that Apple paid $70 million to Sony Pictures (the studio behind the film) for the exclusive deal.

Sony has already delayed the release dates of their upcoming anti-hero films to 2021 (Morbius and Venom: Let There Be Carnage). I just think it's worth keeping an eye on studios dropping films onto the streaming platforms, especially as theaters start re-opening across the country in the coming weeks. This move may also create more animosity between movie theaters and production studios.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
I honestly know nothing about Madame Webb

I always thought Madame Webb was just a weird concept. I assumed they were high when they wrote her story.

I remember her from the later seasons of the 90s cartoon. The introduction of her character would make a lot of sense to tie all the Spider-Man properties together and then intertwine them into the MCU, but to have an entire movie around her has never really seemed like an interesting concept.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
https://variety.com/2020/film/news/...-in-theaters-performance-research-1234611208/

I am one of the 70%. I'd rather not interact with idiots who refuse to wear a mask. Add in the shooter in Denver from a few years ago and I'd gladly pay a little more to watch new movies at home.

You're the minority. Did you read that article? 47% said they would only pay 10 bucks. That's never going to happen unless the best tech we can now put on screen is the original Tron.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
https://variety.com/2020/film/news/...-in-theaters-performance-research-1234611208/

I am one of the 70%. I'd rather not interact with idiots who refuse to wear a mask. Add in the shooter in Denver from a few years ago and I'd gladly pay a little more to watch new movies at home.

I’m also part of the group that prefers to watch movies at home. I have a family of 5 (will be a family of 6 in October). It’s been far more wallet-friendly for me to wait 4 months after theatrical release to buy a movie on digital for $20 than it is to take my family to the theater - but that’s ownership, not VOD rental. I don’t like the idea of home rentals because I’m far more likely to be interrupted by my kids at home, so digital ownership is my preferred way to watch movies, that way I can watch/re-watch as much as I want.

I don’t see myself going to the theater in 2020. That decision has more to do with the fact that my wife wouldn’t be able to sit through a 2+ hour movie and we will have a newborn to take care of by the time Black Widow comes out.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
S.J. Clarkson will direct an unannounced Marvel Movie for Sony. It's rumored to be based around Madame Webb.

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/sj-clarkson-marvel-universe-sony-1234612107/

Clarkson had previously directed episodes of Jessica Jones and The Defenders for Netflix.

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/spid...man-spinoff-jackpot-for-sony-pictures-a175531

Now, in addition to the Madame Webb news, Sony has signed on somebody to write a Jackpot movie in their Spidey universe. While I was at least aware of Madame Webb, I have no clue who Jackpot is.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
We've rented Scoob and Trolls World Tour for 20.00, but that's COVID only. My local theater does movies on Tuesdays for 5.00, so it's basically a wash for us for that price. I guess for the most part I'm the opposite - if I want to see it early, I want to see it on a big screen. After that, I really don't care. I haven't actually bought a movie or even rented one for a very long time. I watch movies that are on one of the streaming services we have or I check them out from the library or I don't watch them.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/spid...man-spinoff-jackpot-for-sony-pictures-a175531

Now, in addition to the Madame Webb news, Sony has signed on somebody to write a Jackpot movie in their Spidey universe. While I was at least aware of Madame Webb, I have no clue who Jackpot is.

Once the Superhero genre slows down people are going to blame the MCU for saturating the market. However, it's going to be Sony flooding the market with Spider man characters I've never heard of, and I spent most of my brainpower in the 90s reading comics.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
https://www.cbr.com/x-men-quicksilver-evan-peters-wandavision/

Evan Peters has apparently landed some role in the upcoming Wanavision Disney+ show. His name is especially notable because he played Quicksilver in the Fox X-Men movies. Nobody know his actual role yet, but I'd be shocked if he played the same role for a multitude of reasons, first of which being that the MCU already has its Quicksilver actor. With that said, it will be interesting to see what role it is.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
https://www.cbr.com/x-men-quicksilver-evan-peters-wandavision/

Evan Peters has apparently landed some role in the upcoming Wanavision Disney+ show. His name is especially notable because he played Quicksilver in the Fox X-Men movies. Nobody know his actual role yet, but I'd be shocked if he played the same role for a multitude of reasons, first of which being that the MCU already has its Quicksilver actor. With that said, it will be interesting to see what role it is.

Remember, that Scarlet Witch will be appearing in Doctor Strange: In the Multiverse of Madness. An Evan Peters Quicksilver cameo would not only be a great tease into that movie, but may be Disney's way of adding the previous X-Men films as an extension of the Marvel Universe. It would be a good precursor to an announcement that they will be adding the X-Men films to the Disney+ catalog.

The less exciting prospect is that Peters is just acting in a new role. Disney has a history of doing that in the MCU, notably with Chris Evans as both Captain America and Johnny Storm, Alfre Woodard appearing in Civil War and Luke Cage as two different characters, and Mahershala Ali appearing in Luke Cage and will also star as Blade in the upcoming film.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Remember, that Scarlet Witch will be appearing in Doctor Strange: In the Multiverse of Madness. An Evan Peters Quicksilver cameo would not only be a great tease into that movie, but may be Disney's way of adding the previous X-Men films as an extension of the Marvel Universe. It would be a good precursor to an announcement that they will be adding the X-Men films to the Disney+ catalog.

The less exciting prospect is that Peters is just acting in a new role. Disney has a history of doing that in the MCU, notably with Chris Evans as both Captain America and Johnny Storm, Alfre Woodard appearing in Civil War and Luke Cage as two different characters, and Mahershala Ali appearing in Luke Cage and will also star as Blade in the upcoming film.

I get what you're saying, but Fantastic Four, Luke Cage, etc weren't under the control of Disney and aren't in the MCU. And if you have a chance to cast Chris Evans or Mahershala Ali you do it.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA

Personally, I really am not a big fan of merging everything together through multi-verse. I prefer they stay separate. Just makes everything messy, confuses the general audience, and ends up with a lot of lazy story-telling with no stakes. If wondering what I'm talking about, see the Arrowverse. I'm not saying that is NOT what they are going to do, but I sure hope not.

Last edited: