KU vs KSU Brawl

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

mctallerton

Apr 4, 2006
I agree that both teams are at fault. It's done, KU will punish their players (will KSU?) and the Big 12 will follow.

Looking forward to heading down to Lawrence for Saturday's game vs. Tennessee.
You can’t help yourself can you? You can’t not get a dig in at Kstate, of course they are going to punish their players.

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
KSU had nothing to lose. KU had everything to lose. Which makes KU really stupid. It’s like when the little irrelevant player tries to get in a fight with the MVP of the opposing team and they both get ejected. KU screwed themselves and possibly their season. Shows how stupid their players are.

• Agree
Reactions: Rural and Peter

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
It was a few years ago when Brannen Greene did what Bill Self called "probably the biggest d--k move" he had ever seen and no, I was not supportive of what Greene did either.

Last year was when KSU's Brown returned the favor with a d--k move dunk at the end in response.

That game where weatherwax yelled at Self was ended by KU up 8, a KU player streaking the ball with seconds left and flying down the court and tomahawking it to win by 10. Then self kid (on the bench) ran in front of the student section and started taunting them. KU fans said that was normal play. Now you say it’s a diok move? Was back then when KU did it, is now, KI fans just upset when it happens to them.

mctallerton

Apr 4, 2006
Am I the only one who loves this but wishes it was Baylor instead of kstate?
As much as I hate Baylor, I like drew and a few of the players he’s had. I can’t think of one Kstate player I can say that about and Weber is probably my least favorite coach in the conference.

RealtreeByGod

Feb 25, 2014
I think McCormick and Garrett deserve almost as harsh of penalties that De Sousa and Gordon are going to get. Chair aside, De Sousa at least has the excuse of "defending himself" when the K-State players left the bench. McCormick and Garrett ran 90+ feet from the other side of the court and immediately jumped in the middle of the melee and started swinging at people when they or the people they were trying to fight had no initial involvement in anything. What they did turned what could've been a small scuffle that was easier to break up into full fledged Malice in the Palace-esque brawl.

This also should be a lesson to AD departments to hire actual competent people to event staff and for police departments to send legit fit for duty cops to the games, instead of bunch of women and old fat men. Maybe they could've have played an actual role in getting things broken up before they got completely out of hand.

LincolnSwinger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 10, 2008
There were 3 escalations:

1) DeSousa takes 4-5 steps to go stand over a KSU player laying on the floor. 99.9% of basketball fans would characterize that as a significant provocation. I've never seen a guy NOT get pushed after that move. Sooo…..

2) KSU players leave the bench and shove DeSousa. Escalation and bad judgment and deserving of punishment. But really because they came off the bench. Had it been KSU guy who was in the game, people would be a lot more understanding of the reaction (see point #1)

3) KU player(s) throw punches. Again, a significant escalation versus the normal bball pushing and shoving.

KU was responsible for 2 out of 3 of the escalations and deserves most of the blame IMO.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Would you guys have been ok with KU scoring, or at least trying to score, on that last possession?

Would you have survived if they just let the kid make the layup at the end of the game? Would KU's ego be satisfied with only a 19 point win? There are no good guys in this situation. Both the steal and the block were dbag moves. The thing is, I get why the team losing might do that, for the life of me, I can't understand why KU would have cared about the 2 points at the end. You had the game won, shake hands and let K State be petty. Then guys like McCormack and Garrett doubled down and got involved, really surprised with Garrett, seems like a mature kid with a good head on his shoulders. He eventually realized what he was doing was dumb and backed off a little but had he not initially attempted to stomp the kid in street clothes, McCormack wouldn't have run to help him. He was shoving guys until the very end, he is complicit, he only escalated the situation.

• Agree
Reactions: legi and CYdTracked

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Would you have survived if they just let the kid make the layup at the end of the game? Would KU's ego be satisfied with only a 19 point win? There are no good guys in this situation. Both the steal and the block were dbag moves. The thing is, I get why the team losing might do that, for the life of me, I can't understand why KU would have cared about the 2 points at the end. You had the game won, shake hands and let K State be petty. Then guys like McCormack and Garrett doubled down and got involved, really surprised with Garrett, seems like a mature kid with a good head on his shoulders. He eventually realized what he was doing was dumb and backed off a little but had he not initially attempted to stomp the kid in street clothes, McCormack wouldn't have run to help him. He was shoving guys until the very end, he is complicit, he only escalated the situation.

How it should have ended is that both teams should have their walk-ons in playing the game out. Let those guys putting in the practice time have some court time. Who cares about the score at that point.

Reactions: heitclone