This is why Prohm must go........

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
The greatest class in school history thats ranked 6th in the Big 12?

This greatest class in school history is being completely overblown. He has exactly #1 Top 150 guy in this class. Blackwell is #151 currently. The average rating of the four players is 91. We have that high of a class because we have 4 commits. Rankings are weighted on the quantity not just the quality. If you go by the average rating of 91 we have between the 40-45th best class in America. Still solid but certainly not they type of class that contains 2-3 starters.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
247 ranking.

2007 = 42
2012 = 39th.
2013 = 40th.
2014 = 140th.
2015 = 72
2016 = 37
2017 = 56
2018 = 28
2019 = 56
2020 = 23

of course youre going to say 2012 was the greatest ever. you know what they did.

talking about recruiting classes coming into the program.

I would look at the average star ranking. You can skew overall ranking with the number of recruits. Also, there are still players to sign so they will undoubtedly go down. The THT, Haliburton, Griffin, Conditt class was better than this one easily.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Maybe we're used to coaches that fit into something like this:

If you can't be elite then be entertaining - Johnny Orr

If you win a ton you can be a total ass - Larry

If you aren't elite and aren't entertaining you have no hope - McD

Probably more in there, but Prohm seems to be pretty close to one of these

isubb79

Jul 16, 2009
im upset just as much as the next guy

but if prohm goes after this year

you can kiss goodbye the greatest recruiting class in school history meaning we are set back even more.
Wow if you think the incoming class is the greatest in school history you are either a troll not very knowledgeable. I thought I read it is currently the 6th rated class in the Big 12.

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
I would look at the average star ranking. You can skew overall ranking with the number of recruits. Also, there are still players to sign so they will undoubtedly go down. The THT, Haliburton, Griffin, Conditt class was better than this one easily.

fair enough

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
Wow if you think the incoming class is the greatest in school history you are either a troll not very knowledgeable. I thought I read it is currently the 6th rated class in the Big 12.

would *one of the best* make you feel better?

go up a few posts and check out the rankings.

• Agree
Reactions: isufbcurt

isubb79

Jul 16, 2009
Tim Floyd did have the #2 rated class one year unfortunately they didn’t all make it to ISU.

Dec 13, 2019
Des Moines
A lot of people are saying this team is not very talented but I disagree. In no way is this one of greatest teams to put on the Cardinal and Gold but they are good enough to at least compete. I envisioned this team being a bubble/NIT team at worst. The product we have received has been far from that. Even teams that lack tremendous talent usually play hard. They make up for their athletic shortcomings with hard work, effort, and minimizing mistakes and this team has done everything but that. And that is a direct representation of coaching. Players who believe in their coaching staff ingrain themselves in their methods. A lot of people have criticized Fred's time at ISU on this forum but one thing you could never say is that his teams didn't play hard and play for each other. You could see how hard his teams competed, even when he inherited the roster that McDermott left behind for him.

Cycl1

Mar 14, 2012
North Liberty
A lot of people are saying this team is not very talented but I disagree. In no way is this one of greatest teams to put on the Cardinal and Gold but they are good enough to at least compete. I envisioned this team being a bubble/NIT team at worst. The product we have received has been far from that. Even teams that lack tremendous talent usually play hard. They make up for their athletic shortcomings with hard work, effort, and minimizing mistakes and this team has done everything but that. And that is a direct representation of coaching. Players who believe in their coaching staff ingrain themselves in their methods. A lot of people have criticized Fred's time at ISU on this forum but one thing you could never say is that his teams didn't play hard and play for each other. You could see how hard his teams competed, even when he inherited the roster that McDermott left behind for him.
I love Fred, but some of his teams got a little too confident at times and played lazy. Most of the time they would wake up and give us a monster comeback victory.

• Winner
Reactions: randomfan44

clone1990

Apr 14, 2008
I may have missed the answer earlier in the thread, but Stanz said in a recent podcast that if George doesn't start in the next game there will need to be serious questions asked.

Well, he didn't start and led all re-bounders in his 19 minutes. Why is he not starting?

ManBearClone

Apr 29, 2010
I may have missed the answer earlier in the thread, but Stanz said in a recent podcast that if George doesn't start in the next game there will need to be serious questions asked.

Well, he didn't start and led all re-bounders in his 19 minutes. Why is he not starting?

It's an advantage to have your best players coming off the bench said no one ever except on this site.

For the life of me I couldn't figure out why Jacobson was our featured offensive player for that five or six minute stretch in the first half.

clone1990

Apr 14, 2008
It's an advantage to have your best players coming off the bench said no one ever except on this site.

For the life of me I couldn't figure out why Jacobson was our featured offensive player for that five or six minute stretch in the first half.
Agreed and with the way things are going, George should be getting as many minutes as possible to prepare for the future.

• Winner
Reactions: xboxfever

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I agree with you to a point, but who else is going to shoot. Last night I continuously saw guys pass up good shots (like they were scared to shoot), looking at you Tyresse and Rasir, then turn it over or have someone else take a bad shot.

Agreed. Some serious hot potato last night.

• Agree
Reactions: isufbcurt

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Pretty sure the the 11/12 and 12/13 teams had 'hero ball' thrown at them quite a bit, and wasn't there literally something where people didn't think Royce was sweating enough?

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
I’d argue that extending Rhoads to a 10 year after Minnesota came sniffing was, followed closely by Prohm being extended

Prohm's extension really isn't that bad for ISU. 3 years at $2.3 million and 50% buyout only adds about $3.4 million to a buyout. Plus, he was only contracted through 2022 which is rare in the coaching industry to have a contract with less than 3 years left on it.

If we were to fire him after this year (which will never happen), I believe we would owe him about $5.7 million which isn't terrible by college coaching contracts. If we fired him after next year (more likely if we suck again), we'd own him about $4.5 million. Again, not ideal, but manageable.

BringBackJohnny

Feb 11, 2009
Ames
Prohm's extension really isn't that bad for ISU. 3 years at $2.3 million and 50% buyout only adds about $3.4 million to a buyout. Plus, he was only contracted through 2022 which is rare in the coaching industry to have a contract with less than 3 years left on it.

If we were to fire him after this year (which will never happen), I believe we would owe him about $5.7 million which isn't terrible by college coaching contracts. If we fired him after next year (more likely if we suck again), we'd own him about $4.5 million. Again, not ideal, but manageable.

So what your saying is .... we have to be bad again next season just to save a $1.2 million? or that we only have to spend $1.2 million more after this season to give us somthing to look forward to in 2020 2021?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron