This is why Prohm must go........

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I'm saying that there is no way Jamie Pollard fires Prohm after this year. None.
People keep saying this because of dollars remaining on a contract. I don't know what the value of having renewed excitement and hope in the basketball program, but in terms of tickets, merchandise, concessions and donations, I know the answer is not $0.

If the season continues to go this poorly and Haliburton leaves, you can bet the excitement by fans for basketball season will crater. Good luck selling tickets for Prairie View A&M or any game for that matter. Good luck selling as much merchandise and continuing to increase the donations.

I'm sure the lost value for a given year is less than chipping off a year of the contract and buyout, but there is a tangible loss in dollars with a decrease in fan engagement in basketball.

cycjob

Oct 10, 2014
The next coach is not going to inherit a winning tradition and a roster built for success. Pollard has to admit that he is ok with ISU being a bottom feeder or he is going to have to go out and pay a lot more for a coach capable of resurrecting the program (again).

sheepplucker

Sep 22, 2013
I may have missed the answer earlier in the thread, but Stanz said in a recent podcast that if George doesn't start in the next game there will need to be serious questions asked.

Well, he didn't start and led all re-bounders in his 19 minutes. Why is he not starting?

thats kinda cheap.. the right guy started at center against KU and he did just fine.. the few minutes solo was on the floor we were not getting embarrassed and he made his shots. Insert conditt and the 4 or 5 turnovers with Haliburton trying to force it to conditt..

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Disagree completely. Prohm is Pollard's guy. He didn't even fire McD for goodness sake. He's not firing him this year and he wouldn't if his buyout was a dollar.

I don't think that money doesn't matter at all, but I do agree the "optics" are probably JP's main driver.

After just winning a conf tourney, making the NCAA, and being extended -- to fire him after the season would look to outsiders as extremely impatient. With JP trying to make part of ISU's brand and value proposition to good coaches as being steady and reliable and NOT hyper-reactive, he isn't going to start chopping off heads like that.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
thats kinda cheap.. the right guy started at center against KU and he did just fine.. the few minutes solo was on the floor we were not getting embarrassed and he made his shots. Insert conditt and the 4 or 5 turnovers with Haliburton trying to force it to conditt..

Based on Prohm's sideline reactions in the first 4 minutes of the game Solo was lost. Numerous times in those first 4 minutes he was frustrated and on the last mistake he had enough and yelled for George to go in.

cycjob

Oct 10, 2014
I don't think that money doesn't matter at all, but I do agree the "optics" are probably JP's main driver.

After just winning a conf tourney, making the NCAA, and being extended -- to fire him after the season would look to outsiders as extremely impatient. With JP trying to make part of ISU's brand and value proposition to good coaches as being steady and reliable and NOT hyper-reactive, he isn't going to start chopping off heads like that.
If attendance at Hilton drops far enough, I hope that Pollard would be wise enough to know that in order to save the program, he can't afford to not address issues when they are painfully obvious.

Nobody wants to fire Prohm, he seems like a decent guy and a good ambassador for the university, but when you start stringing together historically bad losses, that is a trend which needs to raise serious concerns.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
If attendance at Hilton drops far enough, I hope that Pollard would be wise enough to know that in order to save the program, he can't afford to not address issues when they are painfully obvious.

Nobody wants to fire Prohm, he seems like a decent guy and a good ambassador for the university, but when you start stringing together historically bad losses, that is a trend which needs to raise serious concerns.

Not to mention if this message board is an indicator, he is about out of supporters.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Disagree completely. Prohm is Pollard's guy. He didn't even fire McD for goodness sake. He's not firing him this year and he wouldn't if his buyout was a dollar.

Obviously it depends on how the season plays out whether the chance Pollard makes a move is 0% or >0%. My point was that IF the season continues to go as poorly as it has the last four games AND Haliburton goes to the NBA there will be zero excitement or hope for next basketball season. I highly doubt Pollard makes a move. But my point is people saying Pollard is going to give Prohm one more year just because the buyout is still too high is very simplistic. There is a tremendous cost in having a major dropoff in fan interest.

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
Oh man, what if ISU goes 3-15 in conference play...yikes. 10 wins for the season...whoa boy.

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
Oh man, what if ISU goes 3-15 in conference play...yikes. 10 wins for the season...whoa boy.

giphy.gif

• Funny
Reactions: twojman

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Worst record since 89-90 under Johnny when they were 10-18. Had a few 12ish win seasons since then.

Orr's first team won 9 games...before that there were lots of really, really bad seasons.

• Agree
Reactions: CyBobby

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
People keep brining up the McD to Creighton move, applying it to Prohm, while ignoring the detail of Altman leaving for Oregon to open the pipeline. If that hadn't happened, McDermott almost certainly was going to be at ISU another year.