This is why Prohm must go........

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I think the Leech and Anderson thing gets overlooked. If you know after a month of practices that those guys aren't going to be able to cut it in the Big 12, that is a monumental recruiting miss. That is very, very poor talent evaluation.

I mean, 1/2 our recruiting class didn't even make it to the first exhibition game. That's going to set you back quite a bit.
I agree but I was speaking to the 4 or 5 blue chips we were after.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I’ve been a Prohm defender but if he allows Nixon to continue to shoot and/or play this many minutes I’m done

I agree with you to a point, but who else is going to shoot. Last night I continuously saw guys pass up good shots (like they were scared to shoot), looking at you Tyresse and Rasir, then turn it over or have someone else take a bad shot.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Prohm isn't the one out there shooting 34% from the floor when KU is playing, at best, half-assed defense for an entire half of the game. That's what I mean when I say the biggest disparity on display tonight was talent.

We have exactly one obviously-good player: Hali. That's it. Quite literally everyone else has major flaws in their game, and giving them a new head coach (promoted from the current coaching staff nobody else trusts anyway) is not going to magically fix that or make the situation any better. Save that for the end of the season when there's actually candidates to interview and hire and potential to work with. All that can be done right this second is further damage.

And even at that point I'm not confident it'll get any better, 'cuz were looking at a complete, multi-year rebuild that we will most-likely be handing to someone else of Prohm's resume caliber when he came in.

You should be able to play with guys 2-10 and piss pound FAMU.

I keep beating this dead horse, but my problem with this staff is that over and over and over again we are seeing extremely simple things being botched, and this is by many guys over multiple seasons. The "execution is on the players" explanation works when it's a couple guys, or it's one season. Worst to me is that often it's not just the hard stuff, like a guy is a half-second late back to the roller when hedging hard on a pick and roll. It's stuff like the Iowa game. The game plan was to double Garza with the other big. When a reasonably decent double team was executed it worked. TO or bad shot. The problem was the double teams were ridiculously poor. Poor as in, when I was coaching middle school kids how to (and how to not apply) a double team, or how to deal with double teams on offense, you sometimes exaggerate a bad double team to help the kids learn. That's what it looked like at times. Positioning was terrible, timing was terrible.

Or, in the FAMU game they were overplaying passing lanes all night long. KU was doing the same when they went on the run in the first have to get initial separation. Yet there is almost no movement without the ball. There's no reason for a team to do anything else because our response is to just keep creeping further and further from the basket. Watch KU and TCU. You overplay passing lanes at all, and they are making you pay with a back cut. It's not that you have to score a bunch on it, but you get that thought in the defense's head and you then have some room to operate on the perimeter.

What I think Prohm and his staff are decent at offensively is getting a ball-dominant, aggressive scorer decent looks a lot of different ways. Haliburton can obviously score, but he's a very different kind of player than Niang, Burton, or Shayok. What they have done in those seasons doesn't work with this team. I really don't want to hear that it's simply that there isn't talent there. Haliburton is tremendous. Bolton's quickness in getting into the lane and to the rim is probably the best ISU has had in a long time. Conditt is raw, but he has good hands, good feet, and nice touch to go along with great length and athleticism

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I agree with you to a point, but who else is going to shoot. Last night I continuously saw guys pass up good shots (like they were scared to shoot), looking at you Tyresse and Rasir, then turn it over or have someone else take a bad shot.

Time to adopt the coaching advice I routinely give to my daughter's 4th grade basketball team: "Shoot before you turn it over."

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
im upset just as much as the next guy

but if prohm goes after this year

you can kiss goodbye the greatest recruiting class in school history meaning we are set back even more.

Is it really the greatest recruiting class in history?

And, what precise needs or roles are being filled by these recruits? Do their skill sets compliment one another, or do they all do about the same thing, or are just really athletic but not great at any one thing?

I'm typically in the 'wait until they actually get into college ball' camp in recruiting so really don't know anything about what makes it a great class other than seeing that it was still like 6th in the B12.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Don’t be silly, Haliburton goes and Prohm will not do anything productive with the talented class he has coming in. He could have 3 Top 10 recruits and would find a way to make them poor shooters, poor defenders, and probably bench them for looking at him the wrong way.

Or leave them in for way too long despite the same blatant issues happening over and over again without it being corrected.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
90-60 at ISU

53-19 at Hilton

37-41 away/neutral

55-56 vs high major opponents

Home winning percentage
Hoiberg .872
Eustachy .831
Morgan .800
Floyd .758
Prohm .736
McDermott .666

It would be interesting to see what the conference home winning %s are.

• Agree
Reactions: Dudley4CY
Dec 13, 2019
Des Moines
Quotes about the team focusing on “having fun” now. I’m not sure what that means, but I look forward to seeing the result if it means less “thinking” and more “playing”. Prohm seems like a highly intelligent person and maybe the guys have had mental constipation. We’ll see. Go cyclones.

Coaches that say things like "we're focusing on having fun" is 100% not having fun and likely looking for the closest exit.

• Optimistic
Reactions: socalcy

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
im upset just as much as the next guy

but if prohm goes after this year

you can kiss goodbye the greatest recruiting class in school history meaning we are set back even more.
The 2020 class definitely isn't it.

Some notable classes

2007 = Brackins and Garrett
2012 = Niang and Naz
2013 = Monte, Matt and Hogue

To name a few. Didn't include Tinsley or Fizer class.

cycjob

Oct 10, 2014
Painfully obvious that this years team doesn't have "it". Last year's team collapsed at the end of the season but pulled it together for the conference tourney. I'm wondering if this team will just collapse and start phoning it in. They haven't shown much ability to pull together yet.

I would expect that crowd sizes will continue to trend negatively if that happens as well.

Hate to see it happen, but that's how things look right now.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyfanisu

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
I thought this year they would be a bubble team but I think I overestimated the talent and coaching ability. I think a really good coach could get them in the tournament but Prohm needs more talent to do so.

Young has never been anything more than a role player team first guy. Jacobson is playing out of position because Griffin hasn't progressed enough to play him major minutes at the 4. Nixon isn't a Big 12 starter or a guy that should be getting that many minutes. Jackson and Grill shouldn't even be playing yet and the other two recruits weren't good enough to make it the season. Haliburton can only do so much by himself. Conditt has a load of potential but he is still learning as well. It seems that if Prohm maybe handled things differently, Wigginton would have been back which would have helped a ton. Don't know if there is anything different that could have been done with Lard because I don't know what the problems were between him and Prohm.

A program like ISU, if it wants to stay consistent, can't have guys not making it to Junior and Senior year and if they do make it there need to be contributors. A guy here or there leaving early is fine, but more than that it just kills especially if you can't find quality grad transfers or regular transfers to provide immediate help. You have to hope that in two years there will be enough development from guys that are here and this year's class is really good so that they can get back to the tournament in two years.

• Agree
Reactions: cycloneworld

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Painfully obvious that this years team doesn't have "it". Last year's team collapsed at the end of the season but pulled it together for the conference tourney. I'm wondering if this team will just collapse and start phoning it in. They haven't shown much ability to pull together yet.

I would expect that crowd sizes will continue to trend negatively if that happens as well.

Hate to see it happen, but that's how things look right now.

I mentioned this before, but if this goes too much further south I wouldn't blame Haliburton for milking the wrist injury and shutting things down. He has too much at risk to play hurt on a team that looks to be going nowhere.

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
The 2020 class definitely isn't it.

Some notable classes

2007 = Brackins and Garrett
2012 = Niang and Naz
2013 = Monte, Matt and Hogue

To name a few. Didn't include Tinsley or Fizer class.

247 ranking.

2007 = 42
2012 = 39th.
2013 = 40th.
2014 = 140th.
2015 = 72
2016 = 37
2017 = 56
2018 = 28
2019 = 56
2020 = 23

of course youre going to say 2012 was the greatest ever. you know what they did.

talking about recruiting classes coming into the program.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron