MSU fans discussing new coach. Campbell on their shortlist. Funny stuff

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
and belima got his ass fired in like 3 years.

That’s a ****** job now. Killer campus or not.

Not true. He coached at Arkansas 5 years and didn't get it done. That will never be a ****** job. If you think Iowa State is looked at as a better job than Arkansas you are crazy. Now that does not mean they can pull any coach out there. It's not Alabama or Ohio State but it's a damn good job. Guessing Wisconsin fans were not thinking it was a good enough job to rip their coach from them at the time.

EvilBetty

Sep 7, 2012
Is MSU even considering letting MD go (or forcing into retirement)? or is this just a mad fan base because they had a losing season? hell, they won 10 games in 2017. had a wining season last year too. MD has had 2 losing seasons in his time at MSU (not including this year). In each of the following years after a losing season, MD coached MSU to 10+ wins.

I hope our fan base doesn't become this fickle. but it will, because every fan base does.

EvilBetty

Sep 7, 2012
Not true. He coached at Arkansas 5 years and didn't get it done. That will never be a ****** job. If you think Iowa State is looked at as a better job than Arkansas you are crazy. Now that does not mean they can pull any coach out there. It's not Alabama or Ohio State but it's a damn good job. Guessing Wisconsin fans were not thinking it was a good enough job to rip their coach from them at the time.

there were a LOT of people surprised by that move. turns out it was a terrible move for BB. The Arkansas job is far from kansas or rutgers, but in that division, in these times, its gotta be a tough sell. Its like the B1G west...only better. especially when you consider they fired their last coach after less than 2 years! I think that is as big of an issue as any. What prospective coach is going to trust that AD?

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
there were a LOT of people surprised by that move. turns out it was a terrible move for BB. The Arkansas job is far from kansas or rutgers, but in that division, in these times, its gotta be a tough sell. Its like the B1G west...only better. especially when you consider they fired their last coach after less than 2 years! I think that is as big of an issue as any. What prospective coach is going to trust that AD?

I agree but at the same time. The new coach was clearly a terrible hire. Not sure why they went after him to start with. Also, 5 Million dollars to test yourself against the best and Arkansas is a very winnable situation for the right coach. The facilities are outstanding.

• Funny
Reactions: State43

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
Sorry, I don't think ISU is Campbell's destination job. He came here because of the big salary upgrade, a P5 job, and certainly his comfort level with Pollard.
Campbell may not leave for MSU, but I'd bet he takes the phone call. That school has many things going for it.

BS. Mid-Michigan is a dump. Post-apocalyptic industrial wasteland. I used to live there.

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
I would highly doubt that MSU has a coaching change this year.

If they were to have one, it wouldn't be Campbell. There are WAY better suitors for Campbell than Michigan State.

Campbell and his family really likes Ames and he isn't worried about a munity from the fanbase if he happens to go 4-8. Also, he has a GREAT AD that will move mountains for him.

Also, it's not like money would be the draw. Dantonio has been there 13 years and makes $4.3M. Campbell will make that at ISU soon, maybe after this season.

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
I think Iowa State's a better job right now. Because Campbell's already built a foundation at Iowa State and it continuing to improve, Arkansas' a dumpster fire right now. Plus, at least at this point, it's easier to win a conference championship at Iowa State than at Arkansas and probably will be for the foreseable future. Yes, Arkansas has better "intangibles" but they are not in a great spot right now.

It's like houses. Iowa State is currently a nice house. Arkansas is a larger run-down house. Yes, if you're able to renovate it Arkansas will be the better house, but you don't know that you'll be successful in renovating it or that you'll get enough time before the bank forecloses

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
Haha No. Arkansas is not Nebraska though. Arkansas fans are fine with 10-2 and 9-3. They know that is a good season. Texas A$M and Nebraska fans (Iowa fans also) Think they should be National Title contenders every single year.
I know what you mean and I agree.

Arkansas should be a good program.

IsUaClone2

May 12, 2006
Northville, MI
IMO Campbell found his life compass when he was a player at Mount Union. I think he saw how the discipline and focus required to stay in that program, resulted in building good habits and character in young men leading them to successful lives after football and I think he cherishes that more than excessive amounts of money for his personal gain. Therefore I think he would prefer to stay associated with collegiate programs rather than make massive amounts of money in the NFL. Oh he might take on an NFL job if he wasn't deeply involved with a collegiate program but I find it hard to believe that he would start rebuilding a program anywhere then jump ship just because another sinking ship offers more money or easier route to personal fame.

Further, I think Campbell is honest when he says he likes it at Iowa State. We've all heard about the Iowa State fans. Iowa State fans are great and they are loyal through thick and thin but I think Pollard and the other sport coaches are important factors as well. They promote a family atmosphere, a sense of belonging; something you would find at a small college rather than a large D-1 university and I think Campbell likes that as well.

Overall I think Campbell thinks he can successfully have both the Mount Union mission and community plus the P5 football challenge at the same time in the same place at Iowa State and I think he is right. I may be wrong, but I hope and pray I am not.

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
Fans of the SEC and big 10 schools must be taking classes on how to be arrogant and delusional.
What a bunch of idiots.
My favorite quote from that site:

It doesn't matter to you how a coach does against the school's #1 chief in-state rival? Particularly when he coaching the land grant ag school against "The University of ..."? Nevermind then.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
This would be a terrible fit for Campbell. Not only is he from Ohio and probably has deep hatred for everything in the state of Michigan, but his family would be miserable living in that dump Lansing.

• Disagree
Reactions: mikeiastat

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I agree but at the same time. The new coach was clearly a terrible hire. Not sure why they went after him to start with.
Perhaps because it’s not as desirable of a job as you think.

They’ll have to pay greatly above market rate to get an existing P5 coach that has leverage. Much more likely be a G5 HC, P5 coordinator, or a P5 guy looking to get out of a stalled program.

ISUMojoMan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 2, 2010
IMO Campbell found his life compass when he was a player at Mount Union. I think he saw how the discipline and focus required to stay in that program, resulted in building good habits and character in young men leading them to successful lives after football and I think he cherishes that more than excessive amounts of money for his personal gain. Therefore I think he would prefer to stay associated with collegiate programs rather than make massive amounts of money in the NFL. Oh he might take on an NFL job if he wasn't deeply involved with a collegiate program but I find it hard to believe that he would start rebuilding a program anywhere then jump ship just because another sinking ship offers more money or easier route to personal fame.

Further, I think Campbell is honest when he says he likes it at Iowa State. We've all heard about the Iowa State fans. Iowa State fans are great and they are loyal through thick and thin but I think Pollard and the other sport coaches are important factors as well. They promote a family atmosphere, a sense of belonging; something you would find at a small college rather than a large D-1 university and I think Campbell likes that as well.

Overall I think Campbell thinks he can successfully have both the Mount Union mission and community plus the P5 football challenge at the same time in the same place at Iowa State and I think he is right. I may be wrong, but I hope and pray I am not.

Great post, it’s obvious when some people post they don’t appear to have studied anything Matt Campbell has said or done. I think he cherishes the Conner Assalley moments when he gets to mentor a kid to improve and perform. The process is all about building a program in a certain way and he is doing that now, to move would mean to start over and erase the last 4 years of work.

My only hesitation is that CMC did leave Toledo. I am hoping that he did not feel he could build a Mount Union type program at Toledo since they are not a P5 program. I think CMC stays as long as feels he can build that type of program here. Everything seems to be pointing in that direction.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Haha No. Arkansas is not Nebraska though. Arkansas fans are fine with 10-2 and 9-3. They know that is a good season. Texas A$M and Nebraska fans (Iowa fans also) Think they should be National Title contenders every single year.

Why haven’t they hired a good coach the last 2 times then?

• Agree
Reactions: StClone

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
Drew, wake up. It's 2019, not 1969.

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
My favorite quote from that site:

It doesn't matter to you how a coach does against the school's #1 chief in-state rival? Particularly when he coaching the land grant ag school against "The University of ..."? Nevermind then.
That guy isn't wrong, but the situations aren't exactly identical. Their in-state flagship rivalry school is in the same conference, and is competing against them for the same goal: a berth in the conference championship game.

Our in-state flagship rivalry school is in a different conference, and if we lose to them, it doesn't feel good, but it doesn't have much impact on our season goals. If we're ever in a position where we think the CFP is a reachable goal, then its different. But we're not there yet.

• Agree
Reactions: JimmyChitwood

Help Support Us

Become a patron