The infamous holding call

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Reread the rule. Grounding can be called off if touched by the other team. No mention if hit while throwing. So refs fully got it right if ISU did not touch the ball.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Not sure to be honest.
I just know that sometimes those plays are tough for a referee to see whether the ball was tipped or if his arm was hit. They probably should've huddled and gotten the call correctly because I agree that was the wrong call. And if you can't review that type of call, you definitely should be able to.

HOU_Blue

Aug 16, 2019
Looks like you need to re-explain the college rule for the 41st time. (hey retread: one of your brethren has already posted verbatim said rule...)

Looks like you and @BCClone need to read the rule book. It explicitly states that if the passer is outside the tackle box and throws the ball beyond the neutral zone, it is not intentional grounding. There does NOT have to be an eligible receiver in the area.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Looks like you and @BCClone need to read the rule book. It explicitly states that if the passer is outside the tackle box and throws the ball beyond the neutral zone, it is not intentional grounding. There does NOT have to be an eligible receiver in the area.

If I give you the LOS to humor you, you telling me it crossed? Or an ISU player touched the ball? Rule says grounding can be called off if the other team touches it. ISU did not touch it.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
This is incorrect. If the QB is outside the tackle box, he can throw the ball into the stands as long as the ball goes past the line of scrimmage. Stanley was outside the tackle box and was clearly attempting to throw the football beyond the line of scrimmage when he was hit. Like multiple posters have mentioned, I have never ever seen that type of play ruled intentional grounding before.

He wasn't outside the tackle box

HOU_Blue

Aug 16, 2019
If I give you the LOS to humor you, you telling me it crossed? Or an ISU player touched the ball? Rule says grounding can be called off if the other team touches it. ISU did not touch it.

By the letter of the rule it does appear to be intentional grounding. I still have never in my entire life seen that called before. Regardless, my main point with this post is to point out that you were wrong about the rule. For someone who likes to call out other posters for their perceived lack of football knowledge and brag about how you coach football (at what level it is not clear), you would think that you might be able to accurately interpret the rulebook. Alas, that is not the case.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
By the letter of the rule it does appear to be intentional grounding. I still have never in my entire life seen that called before. Regardless, my main point with this post is to point out that you were wrong about the rule. For someone who likes to call out other posters for their perceived lack of football knowledge and brag about how you coach football (at what level it is not clear), you would think that you might be able to accurately interpret the rulebook. Alas, that is not the case.

So I was wrong that it was intentional grounding but it was intentional grounding???? Lol.

• Agree
Reactions: Cat Stevens

HOU_Blue

Aug 16, 2019
So I was wrong that it was intentional grounding but it was intentional grounding???? Lol.

You were wrong about the entire rule. You were adamant that in college football, there has to be an eligible receiver in the area no matter what or else it is intentional grounding. That’s not the rule. For someone such as yourself that proclaims to have such a sophisticated football mind (you even coach football??!!), that’s a pretty embarrassing error.

• Dumb
Reactions: JP4CY

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
You were wrong about the entire rule. You were adamant that in college football, there has to be an eligible receiver in the area no matter what or else it is intentional grounding. That’s not the rule. For someone such as yourself that proclaims to have such a sophisticated football mind (you even coach football??!!), that’s a pretty embarrassing error.

Where did I say I have a sophisticated football mind? I said you had a simple one, you are straw manning it.

HOU_Blue

Aug 16, 2019
Where did I say I have a sophisticated football mind? I said you had a simple one, you are straw manning it.

I just recommend that next time you brag about coaching football or call out other posters for a lack of perceived football knowledge, you don’t make a fool out of yourself by repeatedly asserting an inaccurate rule. Really all I’m looking for is an acknowledgement that you were wrong about the rule, but my guess is that your pride won’t allow you to admit that.

• Dumb
Reactions: JP4CY