So... How Will the Game go?

NobodyBeatsCy

Apr 17, 2008
Clive, IA
Lots of excitement and distractions going on for everything around the game, which is a fantastic experience for everyone, but I really don't know what to expect once the ball is kicked.

Will the old cliche about the biggest improvement in a team comes between week one and two? Can we avoid mental mistakes like kicking off out of bounds? Will they let Brock be Brock? I hate that the team went from being favored to being the underdog.

I know CMC is focused on all the right things. It seems that Iowa City is insulated from all the distractions and are getting a quiet week of preparation. They will be ready.

I hope our guys come out with their hair on fire and punch them in the mouth early and often. Then the crowd will keep the fire burning

• Agree
Reactions: JimmyChitwood

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
giphy.gif

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
Seems like there is always differing opinions between coming out and playing with their hair on fire vs. remaining calm/focused to detail w/o getting caught up in the hype. So many of these matchups have come down to the trenches. My biggest concern is our OL vs. their defense. Somehow, we need to be able to run the ball 'enough' , don't we? Not to mention, protecting Brock.

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
Iowa hasn't turned the ball over in the last 3 games in this series. That HAS to change. Our D line and Linebackers have to make their QB feel uncomfortable in the pocket and hit him early so he thinks about it all game.

I expect the D to play well. The offense will open things up with the RPO. They have to let Purdy do his thing.

I actually like that the team played poorly in the opener. Not to mention the offensive coaching staff with a sub-par scheme. (But, the Campbell mentality was there, and they found a way to win that game.) It's all out the window now and I expect ISU to score a lot.

Cyclones by 10.

Last edited:

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Agreed. I think I read a stat that Iowa hasn't turned it over in this game since like 2015.

Iowa doesn't take a lot of chances and they are incredibly lucky. When they do fumble it almost always bounces right to one of their guys when they play ISU. Hopefully that will even out eventually, but it isn't likely. ISU is certainly due for a turnover in this game.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
My thoughts:
-First game our guys came out jacked/energized...we know how it went...so hopefully they are fired up, but contained

-I've heard CMC said Brock did what was asked (staying in pocket) and I'd imagine this week he'll have to spring free more often given the defense AND play calling

-No matter if we have the ball first or are on D: We need to sustain a drive and get a FG (better a TD) and also somehow make them 3 and out (get defense in and out quick). I could see us going for a "quick dagger" but I am not sure i want that if it means we have to punt.

-As we all know....turnovers/penalties could be the dagger for either team (both for points/not scoring and emotion)

-I think our defense will send a lot of heat to Stanley and make him think quick/scramble? (lol)

-Same for them to us, so Brock is the difference in that

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Seems like there is always differing opinions between coming out and playing with their hair on fire vs. remaining calm/focused to detail w/o getting caught up in the hype. So many of these matchups have come down to the trenches. My biggest concern is our OL vs. their defense. Somehow, we need to be able to run the ball 'enough' , don't we? Not to mention, protecting Brock.

Yes and no. I think Iowa's back 7 is ripe for the picking and that we will see a lot of quick short routes. I definitely think we will try to run the ball but we can't afford to be hell bent on it either.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Iowa hasn't turned the ball over in the last 3 games in this series. That HAS to change.
I wouldn’t expect it to. They’re built on playing it safe on offense and so is our defense. As good as our defense is, we don’t force TOs. I wouldn’t say our offense is turnover prone, but we’ve got a lot of important positions in their first CyHawk.

For a staff that wants to play ball control, we are not good at winning the TO battle- we’ve lost it in 5 straight games, and have only won in 3 of 16. A ball-control game favors Iowa given we have a new center, the weaker OL, a pedestrian special teams, and one less game of development.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
Iowa hasn't turned the ball over in the last 3 games in this series. That HAS to change. Our D line and Linebackers have to make their QB feel uncomfortable in the pocket and hit him early so he thinks about it all game.

I expect the D to play well. The offense will open things up with the RPO. They have to let Purdy do his thing.

I actually like that the team played poorly in the opener. Not to mention the offensive coaching staff with a sub-par scheme. (But, the Campbell mentality was there, and they found a way to win that game.) It's all out the window now and I expect ISU to score a lot.

Cyclones by 10.

Very well put and spot on to how I feel about it and how it should end point wise.

I do agree that I think the nature of our play the first game hopefully was helpful for the coaching staff and players...BUT, I also think we were 2-3 plays from that being a game we win 24-10 (two drive killer penalties that were likely scoring drives, the "fumble" TD by UNI)...so I guess i'm saying i actually feel better about the first game as i think about it. BUT, a big reminder gotta control the turnovers/penalties (and how Iowa messes up or we make them mess up) to really win the margins.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I wouldn’t expect it to. They’re built on playing it safe on offense and so is our defense. As good as our defense is, we don’t force TOs. I wouldn’t say our offense is turnover prone, but we’ve got a lot of important positions in their first CyHawk.

For a staff that wants to play ball control, we are not good at winning the TO battle- we’ve lost it in 5 straight games, and have only won in 3 of 16. A ball-control game favors Iowa given we have a new center, the weaker OL, a pedestrian special teams, and one less game of development.

Puts some pressure on Stanley, he's prone to putting the ball on the ground.

Reactions: khardbored

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron