RECRUITING INSIDER: What I know about Iowa State’s top targets

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Here’s my Debbie Downer report. We just lost 3 underclassmen with NBA skills along with 3 graduating seniors, 2 of which might also be pros. Solo is a health mystery. Incoming class is not highly rated.There is a 15% chance of THT or Wiggs coming back. Weve gone 1 month in the off-season with no results. About 2 months are left. The longer the clock ticks, the more likely we get Beverlys and not Shayoks. We have starting roles open in the top 1 or 2 conference and a hundred players in the market, you’d think someone would $tep forward.

The rise in number of kids declaring for the draft just to get feedback and return has changed the entire spring recruiting landscape, even from just a couple years ago. It's going to stretch out this recruiting period well in to the early summer. It's going to be at least a month before anyone knows what they're looking at for next year. Do you not realize kids are just setting up their visits? Or do you expect Prohm to sign kids that havent' even stepped on campus. If we are still holding schollies after these visits have played out, then maybe it'll be time to worry.

• Winner
Reactions: flycy

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Here’s my Debbie Downer report. We just lost 3 underclassmen with NBA skills along with 3 graduating seniors, 2 of which might also be pros. Solo is a health mystery. Incoming class is not highly rated.There is a 15% chance of THT or Wiggs coming back. Weve gone 1 month in the off-season with no results. About 2 months are left. The longer the clock ticks, the more likely we get Beverlys and not Shayoks. We have starting roles open in the top 1 or 2 conference and a hundred players in the market, you’d think someone would $tep forward.
In regards to next year, landing a Shayok doesn’t help much more than landing a Beverly.

The home run spring class of some combination of Nadolny, Grill, Tucker, Gilder, etc is still in play. Finding an overlooked guy like Wesley Johnson would be huge, but not known until next year. The draft testing has pushed things back, as has loading up on summer classes to grad transfer.

Last edited:

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
At least we capitilized on all that talent leaving by stomping an inferior team in the tournament and going on a nice run.

Sure did.

iowa-state-big-12-finals.png

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Well I don't believe the "If you aren't drafted you can return to school" rule has been approved by the NBA and NBAPA. It was approved/created by the NCAA but needs to be approved by the NBA. So far it hasn't. So that May 29th date to withdrawal is still in effect.

I'm fairly certain the NBA has absolutely no voice as to player's eligibility if they return to school if they are not drafted.

megamanxzero35

May 31, 2011
I'm fairly certain the NBA has absolutely no voice as to player's eligibility if they return to school if they are not drafted.
https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/college/bs-sp-ncaa-new-rules-20180808-story.html

And from that:

Now, players can go through the draft and have the ability to return to school if they go undrafted, as long as they inform the school’s athletic director by 5 p.m. the Monday after the draft. Say Maryland’s Kevin Huerter, for example, didn’t get drafted in the first two rounds — he’d be able to play for the Terps again.

“This change is effective if/when the NBA and NBPA make an expected rule change, which would make undrafted student-athletes who return to college after the draft ineligible for the NBA until the end of the next college basketball season,” the NCAA wrote.

NBAPA/NBA needs to approve because if you declare and go through the draft and aren't drafted, you become a free agent and are a member for the NBAPA.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
The NCAA:
BGPyNm.gif

Honestly, you are probably going to see some transfers, some just deciding to go pro, and some coaches holding that spot open.

So hypothetical (and not sure we can answer this)...

Prohm lands three of the guys we have heard bandied about for the spring-summer.

THT gets drafted around 25 in the first-round. Great for him. Wigginton goes undrafted. LW could sneak into the second-round, but this is a plausible scenario.

Wigginton has a change of heart and decides he wants to come back and be Carsen Edwards next season for Iowa State and in the Big 12. What happens?

Do you have to turn Wigginton away?

Do you release one of the other three guys/try to find them a good home?

Or is Wigginton screwed, even if he could come back, and he just has to try to land in the D-League, Canada, Europe, or wherever he can for a paycheck at that point?

megamanxzero35

May 31, 2011
So hypothetical (and not sure we can answer this)...

Prohm lands three of the guys we have heard bandied about for the spring-summer.

THT gets drafted around 25 in the first-round. Great for him. Wigginton goes undrafted. LW could sneak into the second round, but this is a plausible scenario.

Wigginton has a change of heart and decides he wants to come back and be Carsen Edwards next season for Iowa State and in the Big 12. What happens?

Do you have to turn Wigginton away?

Do you release one of the other three guys/try to find them a good home?

Or is Wigginton screwed, even if he could come back, and he just has to try to land in the D-League, Canada, Europe, or wherever he can for a paycheck at that point?
I'm probably a little more cut throat, I'd try and make room for Lindell and try and help someone transfer. Probably someone who has already been here and not one of the new guys.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA

How many other schools are in exactly the same position? Is it "uniquer" since we're ISU fans or is it simply the new environment every program operates in?

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I'm probably a little more cut throat, I'd try and make room for Lindell and try and help someone transfer. Probably someone who has already been here and not one of the new guys.

Yeah, I figured as much. Thanks for confirming.

It sucks that some guys are going to end up getting "run" (and not specifically because of Wigginton, but across college basketball as a whole) because of this, but it does make sense to "cut" your weakest guy and try to find him a home.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
“We?”

That is sort of strange after saying this.............

LOL!!! I don't claim to know it all, I do know that wasn't a smart basketball play. It could have ended up costing us big time, lucky for you guys it didnt.

I have come to the conclusion that after many years of reading what is served up by this individual that when he mentions "you guys" he is referring to ISU fans and "we" or "us" is either a dog, little friend in his pocket or voices in his head.

megamanxzero35

May 31, 2011
Yeah, I figured as much. Thanks for confirming.

It sucks that some guys are going to end up getting "run" (and not specifically because of Wigginton, but across college basketball as a whole) because of this, but it does make sense to "cut" your weakest guy and try to find him a home.
Honestly don't see the NBA approving the rule on their end. They'd probably rather get that guy on their G-league team. You can only enter the NBA or NFL draft once. I don't see the professional leagues changing their rules for only a small handful of guys. You still need to be invited to the combine to even have a chance of returning by going undrafted. That might apply to a dozen guys?

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/college/bs-sp-ncaa-new-rules-20180808-story.html

And from that:

NBAPA/NBA needs to approve because if you declare and go through the draft and aren't drafted, you become a free agent and are a member for the NBAPA.

That article is a garbled mess. She basically threw a bunch of related info into one article with no attempt of organizing.

I agree there's something the NBAPA needs to sign off on. It's not eligibility of undrafted players.

I'm thinking the player association signing off is regarding a drafted player returning to school and the team's retention rights.