***Official TT postgame thread***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Equally talented?? I don't see any pure knock down shooters on our team nor first round NBAer in this draft like Culver. Thought we played pretty hard on defense. But, you're right, nobody likes 9-9 seasons especially the way they started, but Shaka Smart and Jamie Dixon came to the big12 with more acclaim than CSP and had plenty of experience back in their lineups and look where they're at......barely on the bubble.

Beard gets a lot of credit but Culver is the reason. It would be like Prohm walking in to Ames and Harrison Barnes commits to ISU. Duke probably has 4 of the top 10 picks in next years draft. That leaves 6 for the rest of the country and Culver is probably one of the six. Very fortunate.

• Winner
Reactions: Doc and Cat Stevens

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Beard gets a lot of credit but Culver is the reason. It would be like Prohm walking in to Ames and Harrison Barnes commits to ISU. Duke probably has 4 of the top 10 picks in next years draft. That leaves 6 for the rest of the country and Culver is probably one of the six. Very fortunate.
Well, Barnes was the #1 recruit in the country and Culver was a 3 star. Gotta give Beard some credit there.

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
Equally talented?? I don't see any pure knock down shooters on our team nor first round NBAer in this draft like Culver. Thought we played pretty hard on defense. But, you're right, nobody likes 9-9 seasons especially the way they started, but Shaka Smart and Jamie Dixon came to the big12 with more acclaim than CSP and had plenty of experience back in their lineups and look where they're at......barely on the bubble.
I think so. Culver is a stud and the most talented player on the court today, but when you factor in depth we are more talented. Tech has a bunch of guys really maxxing out their talent and a coach pushing all the right buttons.

Between KU, KSU, ISU, and TT, the red raiders are probably the least talented squad.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
It does make you a bigger cryer and whiner though. So you’ve got that going for you.

I guess if you are satisfied with that crap effort, good for you. The team that many national pundits repeatedly said had the best talent in the league and could make a deep run, just finished 9-9 in the conference.

I guess I am tired of watching us lose games for being soft. We can do better, but if it makes you feel better, just go back to saying to yourself "that's why we are Iowa State".

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
Two things obvious to me (both mental):
- Our spacing at the end of the game was not good. Several times when THT went to the hoop I was watching our guys stand in lanes blocked for a kick out, when all they had to do was take a step one way or the other.
- That desperation air ball had all of us watching the ball and their guy finding the lane for the rebound. That was frustrating. When a shot is taken we should be looking for a man to block out. This is what I also saw at West Virginia.

I guarantee if we fix those two things, we win many of those we've lost lately.

• Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Getting to the tournament is the goal of every single Division I team in college basketball, so yes, if that is something that we do consistently, I'll be partly satisfied. Of course I want a Big 12 championship/Final Four level program, what a silly question that is. If Prohm can't get to a Final Four, he'll join 350+ other coaches who don't get to that level. But, if we can be a consistent finisher in the top half of the Big 12, be a high seed in the NCAA tournament on a consistent basis and make the occasional big run he will have done as well as any other coach in Iowa State basketball history. I did not have the demand that he instantly be the next Coach K the way some other posters apparently have. Certainly I would love for us to be like Kansas, at least with our on court success, but I'm not going to lose my mind if we don't win the Big 12 every single season.

I can tell you this much; we will not be getting any closer to a regular season conference championship anytime soon if we keep on cycling through coaches and coaching staffs every four years. I think we need to let Steve Prohm stay on through his current contract (and I'm not arguing for an extension btw), unless we have consecutive losing seasons and the program shows an obvious and drastic downward trend.

I AGREE let CSP stay thru his current contract and then evaluate his tenure at ISU

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I was at the game so haven't read anything. Can someone pm me what the deal with lard was today. Not trying to thread derail.

• Agree
Reactions: ImJustKCClone

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I'm always sad about the last home game. Always.

I thought the crowd was OUTSTANDING today. That's Iowa State fans at their best. The team needed us. I am going to talk a lot about the ******* at the end, but obviously the majority were good.

I find it funny that the majority on the preview post, were talking about how we'd get blown out today and never win another game and then there are people (the same people) in the post game thread talking about how the effort today doesn't matter.

I thought the effort today did matter. They played like they actually gave a ****. The defense was better. We've got two guys that are playing really hurt. Prohm was as animated towards his own players as he has been. He was often shouting at players on the bench. I'm curious if anyone saw that.

I also want to point out that while it is fair to point out that 4 home losses is bad and unacceptable. It is also fair to point out that 4 road wins (5 if you count the SEC challenge), is really, really good.

I'd love to know what the cause of all of the fights were. It's almost like they don't even know what happened. I don't think any guys on the team are ********, but they are struggling.

I have know idea what the season holds. But I I do know that if I let myself start thinking that 20 wins and 9-9 is a failure, then I am going to be miserable. The program should always aim higher, but we have to realize that it is OK for fans to get joy out of an NCAA tournament team.

clonedlion

Feb 28, 2013
Everyone has a chance to make a dent in the tourney did you not watch any past tournaments? Or If you’re just a doosh poster just say so so I can know and move on.
So name calling if you don't like my opinion? Am I a bad fan because I am not optimistic about this team or coach? No, just objective when you look at all the variables. Sorry to have upset you.

• Informative
Reactions: CyBobby

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
So name calling if you don't like my opinion? Am I a bad fan because I am not optimistic about this team or coach? No, just objective when you look at all the variables. Sorry to have upset you.

You're a bad fine because I've never seen anything positive out of you.

• Agree
Reactions: SerenityNow

clonedlion

Feb 28, 2013
You're a bad fine because I've never seen anything positive out of you.
Positive is in the eye of the beholder. Being critical of Prohm is ojective ruth based on his performance as a coach. You aren't checking into my post history, which is fine.

To be more specific, I don't see it as a loss to look for a Matt Campbell type in basketball, rather than settle for mediocrity in Prohm because we are worried about starting over. Not negative either.

• Dislike
Reactions: SerenityNow

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin

Positive is in the eye of the beholder. Being critical of Prohm is ojective ruth based on his performance as a coach. You aren't checking into my post history, which is fine.

To be more specific, I don't see it as a loss to look for a Matt Campbell type in basketball, rather than settle for mediocrity in Prohm because we are worried about starting over. Not negative either.
Oh cut the ********. You don't have to be an optimist, but don't act like you're being objective while the optimists aren't. You're not "objective," you're just ******** and moaning

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I don’t think that anyone seriously thinks that we are going to fire a coach after a season where we made the tourney and spent much of it in the top 25....

Where we finished is really all that matters.

And half the p5 makes the tournament these days. Merely making it as a p5 team at a school that is historically more of a basketball school than a football school should be the expectation, not the definition of success.

I'm not at the point of saying fire Prohm this year. He deserves another. But being satisfied with middling big 12 finishes and simply making the tournament reminds me of Campbell on the football side: "6-6 programs are ********". We should expect better than mediocrity. Setting sights lower is how you ensure you slide backward.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017

Please be more reactionary. You need to post more in good times and claim this team is very well coached. Oh, and when we lose you need to throw the players under the bus.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I think so. Culver is a stud and the most talented player on the court today, but when you factor in depth we are more talented. Tech has a bunch of guys really maxxing out their talent and a coach pushing all the right buttons.

Between KU, KSU, ISU, and TT, the red raiders are probably the least talented squad.

One stud and a bunch of tomato cans can still rock a good 7-8 guys in basketball.

I know you know this, but it is not like football where you have to build a "program" with depth up and down the roster to be competitive at the top level.

Culver is really good. Beard deserves a lot of credit, but he has turned into a monster with elite NBA length in size far beyond what his star rankings intimated.

There was one clear NBA player on the floor today. It was him.

• Agree
Reactions: STLISU