Campbell and the field

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
Maybe the field would of maintained better if we didn't storm the field vs. WV?

People need to read back into the tweets from @cycloneturf over the past 6 weeks or so. Sounds like there has been a perfect storm of problems this year.

Grass is OK for high schools and NFL, but not ISU? Keep in mind, this is the only game we have ever played at home in December. Help me out on this - I was at the Tulsa Liberty bowl. We were dominating, up by 2 scores in the first quarter, then the rain came and ISU completely fell apart. ISU had an indoor practice facility, Tulsa did not. Yesterday, we were outplayed by a 41 point underdog in the rain. Again, I assume Drake doesn't have an indoor practice facility. Does ISU ever practice in the rain or mud or do they stay indoors every time?

@cyenne suggested that we go back and read the tweets from @cycloneturf, so I did. In one tweet they mentioned that having 50,000 people on the field "didn't help". In that very same tweet they were talking about preparing to tarp the field to protect it from expected snowfall. That was on OCT 15!. I'm pretty sure that was the earliest snowfall recorded ever. Those guys had tough weather to deal with all year. I don't pretend to know the right answer to the turf vs grass debate, but I can't imagine they will have any worse elements to deal with in future seasons.

Earlier it was mentioned that grass "is OK for high schools". I would point out that many high schools - even smaller schools - are installing turf fields due to the overall reduced maintenance costs.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
@cyenne suggested that we go back and read the tweets from @cycloneturf, so I did. In one tweet they mentioned that having 50,000 people on the field "didn't help". In that very same tweet they were talking about preparing to tarp the field to protect it from expected snowfall. That was on OCT 15!. I'm pretty sure that was the earliest snowfall recorded ever. Those guys had tough weather to deal with all year. I don't pretend to know the right answer to the turf vs grass debate, but I can't imagine they will have any worse elements to deal with in future seasons.

Earlier it was mentioned that grass "is OK for high schools". I would point out that many high schools - even smaller schools - are installing turf fields due to the overall reduced maintenance costs.

Do those schools look 10 years in the future when said turf is now needing replaced due to wear?

drlove

Mar 20, 2007
It really is t better for injuries anymore. The new turf fields have more give than natural turf. I like natural too but the expense of a crew of 10 to up keep it plus the advances of turf field make it a no Brainer imo. The field shouldn’t be a deciding issue and old Isu needed the field condition nuetrizer in games like today against better opponents but now it is more likely to hurt us. Go turf.

You sure about the injury point? I heard an interview yesterday with All-Pro CB, Chris Harris, for the Broncos that said he hates playing on turf as he got injured. I don't know if the turf attributed to his injury. A study a few years ago said 82% of NFL players prefer grass, I suspect that if 82% prefer grass it has something to do with protecting their #1 asset, their health.

• Agree
Reactions: Die4Cy

norcalcy

Oct 20, 2010
Do those schools look 10 years in the future when said turf is now needing replaced due to wear?

We can grow beautiful grass (the turf type) year round here in northern cal, yet just about every local high school has field turf. Have to think maintenance cost figures in the decision. If the local high school in my neighborhood is any indicator, 10 years is about the usable life of the stuff.

• Informative
Reactions: khardbored

Cyder91

Jul 19, 2018
Maybe its already been mentioned, but a hybrid system (artificial fibers added to natural grass) like those used by some of the clubs in the Premier League seems like a good solution given the climate and all the rain they get, when we redo the field.

This is hybrid turf/grass

Attachments

• 14538_1513080797718_PF.jpg
    14538_1513080797718_PF.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 68

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I love natural grass but I can also see where a coach would want the consistency. At the end of the day, I'd like to stick with grass but my bet is that we get what Campbell wants.

This year would have been awful. It will be really hard to replicate these poor of conditions.

• Agree
Reactions: dualthreat

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Maybe its already been mentioned, but a hybrid system (artificial fibers added to natural grass) like those used by some of the clubs in the Premier League seems like a good solution given the climate and all the rain they get, when we redo the field.

http://www.dessosports.com/everton-fc-plays-hybrid-grass
Yeah I had mentioned that, most of the NFL has went to that system too, it gives a bit of the best of both worlds. I can see us doing that.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
You sure about the injury point? I heard an interview yesterday with All-Pro CB, Chris Harris, for the Broncos that said he hates playing on turf as he got injured. I don't know if the turf attributed to his injury. A study a few years ago said 82% of NFL players prefer grass, I suspect that if 82% prefer grass it has something to do with protecting their #1 asset, their health.

I think it's a pot reference. You know, for medicinal purposes.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
"Many many" = 3.
The Dec. 1st game makes 4.
I thought when I looked it up and there were a few more than that, but now that we play more games you think it is not going to continue to happen? 20 years ago or so we rarely played past Nov. 15th now having a game scheduled the last week of November is a yearly thing. So we will have at least one game the last week of November every other year in JT. And I realize some believe that the weather magically is better on Nov. 30 than it is on Dec.1 but it is just not the case. Really the Dec. argument is not really a very good one, and really has no baring on what I was trying to discuss.
I think there are valid arguments on both sides of this. And I can see both sides. I myself really like the natural grass in Jack Trice, but I struggle whether it is the best surface for the field moving forward. Yet I am not the one making those decisions and arguing which is better is not what I was trying accomplish.
Which brings me back to my original question, it is obvious, both from the condition and from discussion here that the field is past due for a rehab. There has been talk of displeasure with the playing surface. Is that talk a signal that they are displeased with the field and want a major overhaul of the natural surface and what would that be (just a reseed and rework of what we have, or advanced natural surface as has been mentioned here), or is there a push to go to an artificial surface, and is that an actual possibility?

Reactions: khardbored
Nov 25, 2018
I detest artificial turf. I'd rather give Campbell another raise and redo the natural grass field than put in turf. Simply put in it is played on artificial turf it ain't football. Besides sloppy muddy cold and rainy football is how it is meant to be played. The climate control artificial turf hash Mark's way too close together ******** they play in the NFL isn't football.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
It is up to Campbell and JP. I trust they will do what is in the best interest of the football program. I can see Campbell’s desire to have a consistent playing service.

As far as some peoples concern about homefield advantage. I think just look at the TOE. I can’t think of a team better suited for a hayfield but they still have a pretty good homefield advantage since putting in turf.

I love the grass, but if Campbell and the football program are going to benefit from field turf. Fine with that.

It would suck for the few horticulture students, but I have good friends that graduated in that program, they did not work on the football field. They got good jobs still. So it won’t break the program.

I think this year was the perfect storm to trash out a grass field that was past it's prime. I really don't care which way they go on the turf, as long as it is safe and a good surface. Field was in pretty bad shape for the last 3 home games. Even in the WVU game you could see chunks of the turf coming up. Need to make it a priority to get it done as soon as possible.