Will this be Fred Hoiberg's last year at the Chicago Bulls?

UnCytely

SuperFanatic
Sep 24, 2017
Council Bluffs, Iowa
I really don't follow pro sports of any kind much, but headlines like "Lakers rally from 19-point deficit to beat Bulls" can't help, especially when the Bulls already were 3-11 going into the game. Also take into consideration that Hoiberg's predecessor who was fired had a better record than any season he has had since.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Two years and ten million dollars still left on his contract after this year. He isn't walking away from that and Reinsdorf sure as hell isn't going to pay Hoiberg to not coach. He's too cheap to do that.

Besides, the Bulls were expected to be bad this year after they hit the reset button by trading Jimmy Butler.

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
I think Fred can be a successful NBA coach and maybe even at the Bulls he probably should have taken the Minnesota job but he definitely could do a good job with younger players I just don't think the mix of the diva group of know it alls was the right mix for Fred

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
My favorite subject!

It seems to be going as planned. The plan was to try to win right away because the team had actual stars that were capable of making the playoffs. That's the way the sold the hire to everyone. The Bulls were great! They just needed a genius offensive mind to take them to the promised land! When they realized that the coach they hired to take them to next level, was indeed taking them next level, but in the other direction, they decide to supplement that good roster with aging stars. That worked somewhat and everyone respected their coach. But since it didn't work that well, they decided to tank, asking everyone to believe that they didn't fire their previous coach for sucking even though by their own admission two years earlier they didn't have the roster to compete. This year started off great with two average NBA players getting into a fight during practice. The victim seemed to be at fault from everything the Bulls have done. But it is awkward because the victim doesn't want to play with the player that caused him great injury, so he is demanding a trade. They'll get nothing for him since every team knows that the Bulls have no leverage. But the current group of bad players are playing hard! But it doesn't really matter because the whole master plan depends on the brain trust of Gar Forman making a good lottery pick.

Very little of this is actually Fred's fault except that it seems to be hard for him to get a team of stars to work together well and according to the Chicago media a lot of the coaching decisions he made in college aren't working in the NBA. But they seem to be tanking really well so far this year, so that's good. They have a good young star that they lucked into since Gar and Paxton admitted they literally did nothing to scout the kid before the draft. They all claim that the team is working incredibly hard and are playing well together (except for that pesky fight!).

I suspect Fred won't get fired until Gar gets fired. And Gar won't get fired because the Reinsdorf kid's wife and Gar's wife like to go shopping. But since I am convinced that Gar is a snake, if he suspects his job is on the line, he won't hesitate to turn on his friend.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I think Fred can be a successful NBA coach and maybe even at the Bulls he probably should have taken the Minnesota job but he definitely could do a good job with younger players I just don't think the mix of the diva group of know it alls was the right mix for Fred

Isn't the NBA filled with divas and know it alls? Isn't the job of a head coach to work with a bunch of NBA stars and make them a team? Didn't we all think that Fred would be really good at that since that was his strength at Iowa State?

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
Two years and ten million dollars still left on his contract after this year. He isn't walking away from that and Reinsdorf sure as hell isn't going to pay Hoiberg to not coach. He's too cheap to do that.

Besides, the Bulls were expected to be bad this year after they hit the reset button by trading Jimmy Butler.
All of this is the correct answer.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010

That's the genius of Gar, he basically guaranteed himself five more years by giving Hoiberg such a big contract. No GM is going to want to take a job where he can't bring in his own coach and Reinsdorf isn't going to want to pay for all the costs to clean house.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Isn't the NBA filled with divas and know it alls? Isn't the job of a head coach to work with a bunch of NBA stars and make them a team? Didn't we all think that Fred would be really good at that since that was his strength at Iowa State?

Fred's strengths as espoused by his supporters did not translate into the NBA game. He didn't pick his players but good coaches deploy schemes to accentuate the strengths of his team.

BTW - never been big on nostalgia and Fred's time here is simply another "back in the day" story that gets better (revised) with each telling.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
I think Fred left not only because of the Bulls job but because he was getting too deep into the muck of unethical recruiting.

• Optimistic
Reactions: cyputz

GetAwesome

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 29, 2010
Cedar Falls, IA
Is Niang our new "favorite son?"

Yes, yes he is. I suspect that one day Georges will opt to one-up the prodigal son's (Fred's) return home, bypass the coaching gig, and simply take Pollard's job. As the first order of business as the new AD, Georges requires incoming freshman athletes in all sports to complete a new course during their first semester on campus: Hawk Trolling 101.

Back to Fred, I sure hope he gets that team turning the corner, and Gar continues to get him better roster moves. I agree that the front office will give him 1 more year just to save a few pennies; they've shown time and time again that they don't give a rat's butt what the fans think. Getting LaVine healthy and back in action should be a huge boost this season, and Marrkanen and Valentine are also good gets for the roster overhaul. Someone just needs to clock Portis (a few times) to get his head screwed on straight.

It can only be good for Cyclone Nation if Fred succeeds in Chicago, and for the success and careers of Loenser and Henry who went along with him!

Reactions: CycloneRulzzz

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Honestly, the best thing for Fred probably would be to get fired. Things aren't going to change with the Bulls in the next two years, so his NBA coaching career is just going to look worse and worse. If he were to get out now, he'd be able to sell to the rest of the NBA that he was put in a bad spot, "Look, they tanked the team." At this point, with the Bulls front office way of doing things, it's just going to get worse for him.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014

There is a big diva difference between the Wade/Rondo/Butlers of the world and lesser known players.

I never thought that was Fred's strength, see Mckay and BDJ.